Mission: Impossible Forums

ABC (ended 1990)

Are there no fans for this show?

joshjr

[1]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 12
    I do not remember this show very good other then the fact that I can remember I watched it.  I do not even remember the theme music.  I am sure that had to be a little different then the newer movies.  I at least wish that the show would be released on dvd.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

suplex2000

[2]Sep 16, 2006
    • level: 11
    This was the best show on TV when it was currently airing. I remember how you had to make sure you saw the very first part of the show or you would be lost as to what that episode was about (the older Mission Impossible was probably like that too).

It's only a matter of time before they release it though, the movies made the first series get released (bringing the name back into circulation again) so I feel pretty good that someday the 1988 MI will have it's own DVD release.

I was glued to the TV when this show was on in the 80's.

joshjr

[3]Oct 5, 2006
    • level: 12
    suplex2000 wrote:
    This was the best show on TV when it was currently airing. I remember how you had to make sure you saw the very first part of the show or you would be lost as to what that episode was about (the older Mission Impossible was probably like that too).

It's only a matter of time before they release it though, the movies made the first series get released (bringing the name back into circulation again) so I feel pretty good that someday the 1988 MI will have it's own DVD release.

I was glued to the TV when this show was on in the 80's.

I think a few years ago I saw they were released through Columbia House but they were like the Airwolf series only a few episodes per disc and they wanted $20 per disc.  I figured that one day they would have the seasons available.  I waited on Airwolf and look now.  They are about to release the next season of it. 

So hear is hoping to this show coming to dvd.

Mindkiller47

[4]Jan 28, 2007
    • level: 3
    ya that was a good show, it cames in the time i believe in certain things in television, and that show was the best in that time, bether than Macgyver. I search very times on the net for the torrents and nothing, i hope some day i findet.

doxtorray

[5]Mar 13, 2007
    • level: 4
    My wife recorded most of the 80's episodes, either in the ABC run or during their replays on CBS LateNight (pre-Letterman, if you don't remember).

I am just now getting the tapes dubbed to DVD. We are also watching the DVDs of the 60's series, season one. The earlier series was just a little tighter, I think. The 80's series was a bit more special effects oriented and had a bit more action. Still, the 80's series is certainly easy to think of as the same show with a different cast. If you like the one,  you will probably like the other.

As for the theme music, the movie theme is more like the original 60's theme. The 80's theme exchanged some of the jazz winds and brass for electric guitar and synthesizers.

SunSpeed

[6]May 29, 2007
    • level: 30

I would like to see the late 80s/early 90s Mission: Impossible TV series released on DVD, the first season moreso (based on what I've read about the show in the Mission: Impossible Dossier book).

I do remember seeing some of it when it was shown on BBC2. I'm sure it's only been shown once in the UK. Not sure if all the episodes were shown or not.

Edited on 05/29/2007 3:09pm
    Edited 2 total times.

nickvog

[7]Aug 16, 2007
    • level: 3
    By ALL MEANS this show deserves its chance into DVD world !!!! It was awesome back when it was on TV. I truly liked the HI-TECH mode through its missions, unlike the pretty conventional one the original series had.

PLEASE, companies ALLOW THIS ONE INTO DVD !!!!!!

rayan36

[8]Sep 11, 2007
    • level: 5
    IMO, the tv series is a lot better than the movie, so there's no torrent, no DVD, aren't there any tv networks or channels re-airing it or can anyone who has it in VHS can upload it...

suplex2000

[9]Nov 9, 2007
    One of my favorite things about this show was how Jim Phelps (Peter Graves) would meet someone at a carnival or on the beach, etc, exchange a few words of conversation and then the person would tell him where the black box was.

I always liked how they did that.

rayan36

[10]Nov 19, 2007
    • level: 5
    any updates on the dvd

JamesBooty

[11]Mar 25, 2008
    • level: 2

I was in junior high when this show originally aired and had never seen the original series. I instantly became a fan with the first episode "The Killer." I would love to see this series officially released on DVD, especially since many of my VHS recordings are second-generation SLP copies. I recently completed transferring my VHS recordings of this show to DVD in the event my tapes degrade any further, but I am missing 8 episodes and 3 others are incomplete. Most of these 8 are ones I've never seen, and since there appears to be no pending official DVD release for this series at the present time, I would greatly appreciate it if anyone here would be willing to exchange some recordings so I can see what I've missed.

K9Stanley

[12]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 6
    I loved this show so much when it originally screened. I would record it and watch it a couple of times during the week while I waited for the next episode. Unfortunately I don't have the tapes anymore, not that I have a VCR anymore to watch tapes!!

suplex2000

[13]Sep 13, 2011

Well, it's FINALLY official.

The DVD Set gets released on Tuesday, November 29th, 2011. Season 1 (for now)

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mission-Impossible-The-88-TV-Season/15925

Wiseguy70005

[14]Jan 6, 2014
    • level: 14

suplex2000 wrote:
    I remember how you had to make sure you saw the very first part of the show or you would be lost as to what that episode was about (the older Mission Impossible was probably like that too). It's only a matter of time before they release it though, the movies made the first series get released (bringing the name back into circulation again) so I feel pretty good that someday the 1988 MI will have it's own DVD release. I was glued to the TV when this show was on in the 80's.

The original series was even more intelligently made than the newer series and still has quite a following today.The original series would have been released to DVD regardless of the current-day movies which did not have to "bring the name back."