Mission: Impossible Forums

CBS (ended 1973)

Briggs or Phelps ??

Who do you prefer Dan Briggs or Jim Phelps ??

Goose-62

[1]Feb 27, 2007
    • level: 1

It may be a bit of a tough one to call if like me you've only seen season one episodes on Five US in the UK, but I saw my first episode from Season 2 last night 'Wodow' with Peter graves as the new 'leader of the gang' .

I must say I am a massive fan of Steven Hill in the first series, he has a really cool presence about him and a great acting style.

I now it was the first episode but Peter Graves seems very wooden to me . I keep thinking about him in the Airplane movie .

Well I'll give him a chance before I totally give up hope.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jamoon2006

[2]Feb 28, 2007
    • level: 36

I agree about the "woodenness" of Peter Graves. Steven Hill is a fantastic actor, and he brings a sophistication and an understated sense of humor to the Season 1 episodes. Peter Graves was not terrible, as he anchored the show for the duration of the run, but he was not as dynamic a presence as Hill. I cannot imagine, for example, Jim Phelps threatening to detonate the atomic bombs in the "Pilot" episode.

Maybe when Hill departed the show after Season 1, the producers should have elevated Rollin Hand to the role of team leader. They already had a fantastic leading man in Martin Landau, and he had been doubling in the role of leader for late-Season 1 episodes when Hill was on the outs with the producers.

ramesh046

[3]Feb 28, 2007
    Did Dan really act??
    I thought he just spoke to the camera

Goose-62

[4]Mar 1, 2007
    Steven Hill was a superb actor in the Dan Briggs role, the two parts that stick in my mind are as the defence lawyer in 'Operation Rogosh', and the scene in 'The Legacy' where he pretends to be the hotel manager to apologies for the missing pocket watch, superb !!

Gislef

[5]Mar 6, 2007
    • level: 101
    I think Hill is a better actor, and given it's the first season of the show and it's still in development and plays with the formula, they give him more opportunities to "act."

Watching him bluff-but-not-bluff the dictator in the pilot, and the gangster who kidnaps his friends' daughter, are the "acting" kind of moments. And lock up Rogosh with his own virus bombs to give up the location of the last one.

Briggs is a guy who will kill people to fulfill the mission. It's not his first choice, not even his second or third. But if he wants you dead, and there's no other choice, then... he'll kill you. And himself too if he has too.

The funny thing is despite that, he's more of a "psychological manipulation" guy. It's no wonder most of the schticks that he presumably came up with in the first season (the doomsday scenario, the "fake trip" ploy) keep getting reused.

I think Graves does okay with what he's got, and the fact they got rid of most of the personality stuff after the first season doesn't help. But I'd always go with Briggs.
    Edited on 03/07/2007 7:20pm
    Edited 2 total times.

texicogirl

[6]Mar 21, 2007
    • level: 4
    I liked Graves better, but he is also the one I grew up with. I was to little to remember Briggs It has been a long time since I have seen any of the shows so I will hold off on my final answer.

mckenzie5555

[7]Apr 1, 2007
    • level: 6
    Have to go with Phelps. He was always the exception to the rule...thats why I am finally getting it out there but tom cruise should never have let Jim Phelps be the baddie in the film - that was the worst mistake ever!

jamoon2006

[8]Jun 18, 2007

After watching the first three episodes of Season 2, I have changed my mind about Peter Graves as Jim Phelps. I still prefer Steven Hill as Briggs, but Phelps is not as aloof as I imagined him to be. I like that he takes a more active role in the missions. Briggs was much more an idea man, so it's nice to see the leader getting his hands dirty.

On a side note, I am enjoying every minute of Season 2 on DVD so far!

carnival19

[9]Jul 22, 2007
    • level: 14
    Peter Graves hands down, has a lot more charisma than Steven Hill. Hill was very good however his religious beliefs led him out of the show. M:I really took off when Graves joined, he's really the face of M:I, you'll see as the series goes on you'll learn to love him more and more.

Gislef

[10]Aug 6, 2007
    • level: 101
    Early Steven Hill is pretty charismatic. Check him out if you can on RTN now that they're looping back to the first season (again ). Watching him and Albert Paulsen go through mock "torture" in "Memory" is pretty funny. It was probably later when he was trying to get out of the show, or whatever was up with his mid-season activities that got him fired, that he probably dulled it down a bit.

geoellis2

[11]Oct 7, 2007
    • level: 38
    I know I am rather late in contributing to this thread. However, I was a kid when the show was first run, and I only remembered the Peter Graves episodes. Having just rented the first season dvd pack, I was unaware of Steven Hill, and I must say I am impressed. He is a very talented actor, and brought an edge of earthy suspense that Graves probably could not. Peter Graves is tall, and strikingly unique looking, meaning that he would be too recognizable in the circle of spies and world diplomats to fool anyone.
    Another thing that really impressed me is the way the makeup people got Martin Landau to look just like the character actors he duplicated in some of those episodes. Or maybe they picked the actors who had a certain resemblance. Regardless, he was great, especially in the early ones.

TomSullivan

[12]Oct 20, 2007
    For some reason this board won't let me start a new topic. I remember an episode I can't find described in any of the complete episode listings. Can anybody help me identify it? The episode involved a criminal, paranoid about nuclear war and he hid in his bomb shelter when the IMF team faked a nuclear war. They supplied phoney news and TV reports to get him into the shelter. Then they supplied a cyclorama complete with the miniture destroyed buildings and painted background of the destruction. The Criminal had a periscope in the bunker where he could see the destroyed city. They get the secret from the Criminal and open the bunker door to reveal a beautiful spring day. What episode, season was that. Thanks, Tom Sullivan darkageproductions@yahoo.com

geoellis2

[13]Oct 20, 2007
    • level: 38
    Tom, I think the episode you are referring to is 'The Numbers Game', season 4, episode 2.

TomSullivan

[14]Oct 20, 2007

Thanks, I am sure that is the episode. I see italso has Torin Thatcher in it. One of my favorite actors since my first screening of the 7th voyage of Sinbad.

As for the Briggs/Phelps I always got the impression that Briggs had the passion of one of the creators and developers of the IMF concept. Phelps struck me as the corporate phase two/professional institutionalization of IMF. Competent and successful Phelps had the more workman approach. Perhaps that was picked up on with the MISSION IMPOSSIBLE #1 feature film when the Phelps character sells out.

Thanks for the assist.

TomSullivan

[15]Oct 24, 2007

I cant' vote for either because I like both men as actors. While my memory of Peter Graves does retain a bit of woodeness upon watching "Trek", the second show in Season 2 that memory has been corrected. Stephan Hill is a superb actor and part of American history in that regard. Peter Graves is from a different pathway but is still a strong performer and his work in MI is refreshing and animated.

Graves is dead on in Airplane as well.

JenniyM

[16]Nov 7, 2007
    I like both of them, they are both great people!!!!!!!

JM

JenniyM

[17]Nov 7, 2007
    I like both of them, they are both great people!!!!!!!

JM

casholini

[18]Nov 19, 2007
    There's only one answer to this question and it comes in the for of Jim Phelps. Total legend and though Dan does have his redeeming qualities he's not a match for the might of old Phelpsy. When's season 3 coming out on DVD anyway?

jamoon2006

[19]Nov 19, 2007
    Season 3 is out tomorrow (November 20th)!

casholini

[20]Nov 19, 2007
    That is WONDERFUL NEWS. I know what i'm doing tomorrow! Cheers.