Mission: Impossible Forums

CBS (ended 1973)

Briggs or Phelps ??

Who do you prefer Dan Briggs or Jim Phelps ??

Kadodian

[21]Dec 23, 2007
    • level: 23
    I like Dan Briggs more.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jamoon2006

[22]Feb 11, 2008
    • level: 36

After watching Seasons 1 and 2, I'm elaborating on my earlier comment. While I like Dan Briggs/Steven Hill more than Jim Phelps/Peter Graves, I think Mission: Impossible is a better show with Phelps at the helm. Because Graves had none of Hill's contract demands and attitudes, Phelps isn't MIA from a number of episodes and actually plays a big field role in most of the missions. As a result, the group feels more like a team in Season 2 than they did in Season 1.

I still think Steven Hill is a better actor, and I wish that he could have resolved his differences with Bruce Geller and Desilu to be able to continue in the series. However, since Peter Graves brought a new dynamic to the show, I have preferred the episodes from Season 2. Of course, there were other factors (the permanent addition of Martin Landau being a key, in my opinion) that made Season 2 better, but Graves certainly contributed a great deal.

Now, my concern (since we're on the subject of one character vs. another) is the Rollin Hand/Amazing Paris debate. From what I have read, there's a consensus that the show starts to slide in Season 4. Landau is one of my favorite actors and his performances on M:I are always great. Nimoy, well...he's Spock, but he doesn't dazzle me with thespian prowess. I'll be renting the first discs of Season 4 to see if I want to buy it, whereas Seasons 1-3 have been blind buys for me.

revbucky

[23]Jun 27, 2008
    • level: 22
    When you think of Mission Impossible, which leader comes to mind first? For me it is always Jim Phelps. Hands down, Phelps is my favorite of the two.

MarvinSuggs

[24]Aug 25, 2008
    • level: 2

I always enjoy Jim Phelps more than Dan Briggs, and Paris more than Rollin. Rollin's main role was to wear masks pretending to be other people. Paris had to wear masks occasionally, but he was able to be himself more (if thats possible for a secret agent). I think Graves is a better actor than Hill, you could easily believe Phelps as anything he pretended to be - scientists, Nazis, criminals what have you. Although Briggs did have some great cars and a nice apartment

jim54896

[25]Nov 24, 2008
    • level: 2
    Jim James Phelps is the best