Mission: Impossible Forums

CBS (ended 1973)

Mission and Star Trek connection.

OLDERTVFAN

[1]Dec 18, 2008
    • level: 7
    I was adding some info about Peter Graves and was adding comments. One of the interesting connections between TV shows is the fact that Mission started the same year as the orginal Star Trek and they were from the same place Desilu. Lucy was the boss. Halfway through the second season of both shows Lucy sold Desilu to Gulf and Western who had bought next door neighbor Paramount. So Paramount gets credit for both shows. Peter Graves was one of the hosts of A&E show Biography and one was about Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry. Peter mentioned that he had met Roddenberry because of both shows being done at Desilu which was a small studio.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

poughkeepsieny

[2]Apr 3, 2009
    • level: 4

I picked up on the same thing and had blogged about it on MySpace. Both shows were Desilu productions in their first season. I'm guessing the some contract players made appearances in both shows. Some of the crossovers right off the top of my head:

George Takei - Sulu and a one-time IMF team member.
    Mark Lenard - Spock's dad and a villain on at least two missions.
    Michael Strong - Roger Corby and a villain on at least three missions.
    John Colicos - Klingon Captain Kor and a villian on at least two missions.
    Vic Tayback - Iotian in "A Piece Of The Action" and a thug on at least two missions.
    Actor Unknown - Stonn and a thug on at least one mission.
    Actor Unknown - The guy who gets stabbed in the back in the end of the gladiator episode and a villian on at least one mission.
    Actor Unknown - Captain Decker (the guy who puroposely flies a shuttlecraft into the big flashlight) and a villian on at least two missions.

William Shatner is in an episode in a later season of Mission: Impossible, but that doesn't really count since Star Trek was over by then.

akaKJB

[3]Sep 5, 2013
    • level: 2
    You left out one of the biggest TREK connection to MISSION - the fact that Leonard Nimoy transitioned immediately from STAR TREK to MISSION as Paris, essentially filling the position left vacant by Martin Landau's exit from the series (yet another connection is that Landau was offered the part of Mr. Spock in the original pilot and passed on the job which was, of course, then offered to and accepted by Nimoy).