Mission: Impossible

CBS (ended 1973)

Gislef

Mission: Impossible Fan Reviews (33)

• Profundity in action, existential in outlook

You cannot deny the charm in Mission: Impossible. And the charm that stems from this one-of-a-kind TV series simply is because of a composition of existentialist plot, and of course its near-impossible missions.

Why I say "existentialist in plot" is because of the lack of any proper characterization in its plot. This made M:I quite effective in my view, because without and excessive characterization that would have deviated the fun from the episodes, it makes us more connected with the characters and ongoing plot (not to mention all those suspenseful moments when we linger as to HOW the operation in any episode will be executed). But without an impressive array of cast members, M:I would have lost all its potency. It sears even today, and with Lalo Schifrin's memorable musical score, it has earned a rightful place in TV history today, which not even Tom Cruise can exceed!

In short, Mission: Impossible is the most enjoyable TV series I've had the priviledge of seeing, and I doubtless second anyone who votes this as the "greatest series in television history", were it not for The X-Files!