Mission: Impossible

The Astrologer

Aired Saturday 9:00 PM Dec 03, 1967 on CBS

• Spies on a plane.

Relying too much on Barbara Bain's unconvincing accent and an major plot device that doesn't jive, this episode is one of the low points of Season 2.

The main gripe I have is the whole plot centers on Cinammon passing herself off as an astrologer. I could understand the astrology angle if one of the players involved had a belief in astrology, but NOBODY DOES. It's not as if the team is playing to the superstitions of one of the bad guys...it just seems plucked out of thin air. The whole episode is full of people saying they don't put any stock in what she does, yet Cinammon is allowed onto the plane and even confers with senior officials who take her advice. Meanwhile, a more interesting story is unfolding under the plane, but since Rollin and Barney can only move when the "fasten seatbelts" sign is on, we don't see enough of them.

It's been done before - pit the bad guys against each other, free the dissident leader - and been done better on "Mission: Impossible." The highlight of the episode is the "automoton," who exists only to do away with himself in a moment that is almost comical.