Mission: Impossible

The Mercenaries

Aired Saturday 9:00 PM Oct 27, 1968 on CBS

• 24 karat gold

Series masterpiece. Most ingenious, delightful and just plain fun episode of them all. Perfection.
  • The IMF at its most devious!

This is by far my favorite episode. I watched this show as a kid when it first ran, then caught it a few times on reruns. Of all the episodes, this one stood out as one of, if not my very, favorite. The plot to melt the gold out of the vault was positively ingenious! The only flaw I can find in the whole idea is that it's unlikely that a vault with a mining tunnel conveniently located underneath would be able to support such a heavy load, but this is admittedly really nit-picking and in no way detracts from the story.

The device they used was truly a work of genius. Every angle was thought out, from the beginning when a ball bearing is dropped on the floor to locate the lowest point in the vault, to the paint sprayer that popped up out of the top to cover up the thin layer of gold left as the molten metal flowed out, it was the best of the Impossible Mission Force!

I finally got a copy of the episode years later and it was just as good as I'd recalled. And, as was one of the series' trademarks, it had the classic "What happened? I've been had!" look of horror as their target realized his unhappy fate. Then the textbook IMF get-away as the icing on the cake - the plan was executed flawlessly.

"Mission Impossible", "The Untouchables" and "The Prisoner" will always be my top three favorite shows of all times, along with the late 60's episodes of "Dragnet" and "Twin Peaks". This is TV at its best in my book . . .
WZME