Mission: Impossible

The Spy

Aired Saturday 9:00 PM Jan 07, 1968 on CBS

7.8
  • Good ideas, poor execution.

6.8
    In some respects, this is a great M:I episode. The idea of deliberately hypnotizing one of the team, allowing him to get captured and stall the bad guys with a fruitless interrogation is a neat trick. There's a good fake-out/double-cross of the villains at the end, and there's even a brief pang of regret and possible remorse on Rollin's face after the smoke clears.

But the episode is slow moving. After the initial theft of the map, things screech to a halt. There are too many interchangeable scenes of Jim being questioned and Rollin flirting with the female agent. Sometimes the "silent scenes" of the team putting the plan into action are boring, as they are here with a disinterested-looking Barbara Bain doctoring a new copy of the map.

I liked that Rollin seemed to have some real affection for the woman he was baiting and, again, the premise of the episode is a good one. I'm not sure if it's just because it followed so many strong episodes that it didn't live up to them or if it's just an oddity from an otherwise strong season.

But then again, like most "M:I," it's not bad...just not as good as some others.
WZME