Mister Rogers' Neighborhood

PBS (ended 2001)

millerem99

User Score: 2019

Mister Rogers' Neighborhood Fan Reviews (30)

• It doesn't matter what YOU think of it, what matters is what your pre-schoolers and kindergarteners think of it. It's meant for them, and it's exactly what they need.

I know some parents who sneer at this show and call it stupid and boring. It doesn't matter what YOU think of it, what matters is what your pre-schoolers and kindergarteners think of it. It's meant for them, and it's exactly what they need. Modern-day little ones even desperately moreso than those who were toddlers when the first episode aired.

Far from the manic, loud, violent, inane cartoons fed to older kids, and also far from the manic, loud, fast-paced shows frequently fed to those aged 3 to 6, "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" takes them to a simpler, quieter place where they can be sufficiently entertained to learn to focus for longer periods of time AND just simple and repetitive enough as necessary for them to comprehend the theme concept that ties together each show. For the little one whose parents are always too busy or self-absorbed to give their child Quality Time, the intimate, personal, one-on-one feel to this half hour with big---but safe--grown-up Fred Rogers feeds their great hunger for so many basic things. Shut up and watch a 3 or 4 year old watch this show.

I know many an adult, male and female, who, while home sick or home trying to numb life's current pains and older wounds, who has come across the show while channel-surfing. Although we all know the show is geared toward allaying the fears, feeding the hopes, and nurturing the dreams of children not yet in Grade 1 of Elementary School, adults can find metaphorical meaning and comfort in some of the things being said or explored that we can apply to our complicated, grown-up lives. In particular, Mister Rogers' answer to a little character's fears has stuck with me since I came across an episode while lying in bed watching TV, trying to recover from a serious and harmful personal situation. I've since used the same in injecting some light humor into situations in which friends and associates have been personally devastated, and it always makes them smile and consider its assurances.

If you can't, or won't, teach your little ones compassion, ethics, anger management, how to resolve bad feelings, personal responsibility, how to exercise and stretch their imaginations, how to think things out, and how to apply themselves...and why these things are important, let Fred Rogers do it. One can only hope that this show might one day be available in certain other languages around this old world of ours, and that more little and more big people would pay attention.