A Mistresses Community
Monday 9:00 PM on ABC

Oh my God, you guys. You have never seen a summer TV schedule that's summerier than ABC's 2014 summer schedule. I mean, WOW. It's filled with people searching for love, people searching for sex, and people searching for the Vorpal Sword of Paul Lee or whatever The Quest will force grown-up LARPers to hunt for. It's TV schedules like this one that make me understand why America's academic scores are plummeting below those of lobotomized sloths and why other countries laugh at us despite the fact that we could nuke them to Jupiter. And of course I'm excited for about three-quarters of it. 

Among the noteworthy returns are Andi Dorfman's debut as the prize of The Bachelorette, the trashy-as-heck Mistresses, Canadian cop drama Rookie Blue, the child torture of Bet On Your Baby, and emergency-room-stuffers W-w-w-w-w-Wipeout and Extreme Weight Loss. There will also be four newbies and one completely embarrassing excuse for a television series making their debuts this summer, so let's run 'em down to make sure you know exactly what you're skipping a vacation with your kids for:

Black Box (Thursday, April 24): This medical drama follows Catherine Black (Kelly Reilly), a famous neuroscientist (presumably among neuroscientists, because I couldn't name one real-life neuroscientist, can you?) who diagnoses strange diseases. And as mandated by Medical Television Show Law, she's got a condition of her own: She's bipolar! It's House meets Perception but with a lady doctor instead. 

The Quest (Thursday, June 19): This reality series honestly has a chance at becoming the greatest thing ever to air on television, because it's The Amazing Race but set in a fantasy world of lavishly constructed sets. There will to be state-of-the-art projections, animatronics, and crazy people running around dressed like ogres! A dozen contestants will live-action-role-play for our amusement in a setting that looks like Euro Disney. I CANNOT WAIT. 

Rising Star (Sunday, June 22): America's greatest natural resource is the reality singing competition, and this latest entry in the genre will allow viewers to use a mobile app to vote on who should win in real time. How will this concept be incorporated into a country with three time zones, you ask? Never mind your pretty head with silly thoughts like that and just vote for whoever is the prettiest. 

The Astronaut Wives Club (Thursday, July 24): This is a "limited" 10-episode series with a silly name about the women behind the men who hurtled into outer space during the great Space Race of the 1960s. It's like The Right Stuff: Ladies' Edition. JoAnna Garcia Swisher and Odette Annable star.  

Bachelor in Paradise (Monday, August 4, the day the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse ride through the portal to hell and begin their wrath): Bachelor Pad is dead, but its corpse has been reanimated as Bachelor in Paradise, which takes former Bachelor and Bachelorette contestants and crams them into a house together so that they can get drunk, get tan, fight, and f*ck. There are only six episodes, and from what I can tell, no rules. 

Here you go, ABC's schedule full of summer entertainment that you'll be too embarrassed to tell anyone you watch (new shows in ALL CAPS):

Thursday, April 24
10–11pm – BLACK BOX 

Sunday, May 18
8–11pm – The 2014 Billboard Music Awards

Monday, May 19
9:30–11pm – The Bachelorette

Wednesday, May 21
10–11pm – Motive

Monday, May 26
8–10pm – The Bachelorette (Regular time period premiere)

Tuesday, May 27
8–10pm – Extreme Weight Loss

Saturday, May 31
8–9pm – Bet On Your Baby

Monday, June 2
10–11pm – Mistresses

Thursday, June 5
8-8:30pm – Jimmy Kimmel Live: Game Night

Thursday, June 19
8–9pm – THE QUEST 

Sunday, June 22
7–9pm – Wipeout (Special two-hour premiere)
9–11pm – RISING STAR 

Tuesday, June 24
10–11pm  NY Med

Sunday, June 29
8–9pm – Wipeout (Regular time period premiere)

Thursday, July 17
10–11pm – Rookie Blue

Thursday, July 24
9–10pm THE ASTRONAUT WIVES CLUB

Monday, August 4
8–10pm – BACHELOR IN PARADISE

Which of these shows will you pretend that you don't watch?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 7/11/2016

Season 4 : Episode 6

Next Episode

AIRS ON 8/2/2016

Season 4 : Episode 7

35 Comments
Comments (35)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I cannot begin to tell you how sick I am of reality shows. Motive is OK, but only if nothing else is on. Looks like I will be skipping ABC completely this summer.
Flag
So I pretty much have no reason to watch ABC at all this summer. Got it.
Flag
Wow - I'm confused... How is The Bachelor Paradise different than Bachelor Pad other than by changing the location? Is Paradise going to be competition-based like Pad was, or is it purely a show about a bunch of people living in a house? Because if it's the latter, it's basically The Real World with Bachelor franchise failures.
Flag
Will give The Quest a chance.
Flag
Of that long list only Motive and Rookie Blue tickles me.
Flag
ABC = ALL BITCH CHICKS
Flag
ROOKIE BLUE!!! :D
Flag
I'll give rising star a try but thats it
Flag
I watch Wipeout with my son - but I've never watched it Live. I think I'll put that on my schedule this summer. Oh the laughs we're going to have.
Flag
Who would lobotomize a sloth, and why???

Oh holyyyyy shit, they named the show "Black Box" and have the main character a Catherine Black? I pity the many vagina jokes that will spawn from that title.
Flag
Not what I think of reading that. I go for it being the data recorder of an airliner, but this show has nothing to do with that. Either way, poor title.
Flag
I keep up with motive's canadian run so just rookie blue for me.
Flag
Nothing here that i'm interested in.
Flag
Rookie blue yay
Flag
Yah Canada.
Flag
I like the premise of Black Box and the promos for it look decent. Hoping it fills the void I've had since House ended.
Flag
Glad Rookie Blue is coming back . Its just awesome.
Incidentally folks should should ckeck out CRISIS!!!
Flag
Mistresses is actually very good, not trashy in the slightest. Have you even seen an episode of it? I'm guessing not.
Flag
The Quest has potential, I really don't like reality tv but it involves LARPing so I'll give it a chance. And of course I'll be watching Rookie Blue because I'm a good Canadian.
Flag
Could be a good opportunity for Kelly Reilly to get seen in the US in Black Box but as ever it sounds like the medical side will be a joke, as is that she's bipolar. None of these shows last; seemingly due to audiences not being able to gel with the lead at all, beyond seeing them as just wrong. CLICK. House was the relatable and likable drunk/addict with a sense of humour, who said what most people would like to but often don't dare. Whereas, depending on severity, bipolar sufferers can often scare people due to their exaggerated characters depending on the cycle of illness. And as this is a drama about a Dr with that and 'other secrets' I can only envisage it's going to jump the shark several times per episode.
Flag
Mistresses!
Flag
just Wipeout and Mistresses for me (hey.. it's not THAT bad, there are worse things on ABC itself, I mainly watch for the cast.) and I may watch The Quest.

I like JoAnna Garcia Swisher and Odette Annable, but I'm not interested in Astronauts Wives.. why isn't this on Lifetime?

"America's greatest natural resource is the reality singing competition" is it really? because all our competitions are US versions of other countries, except The Sing-Off lol
Flag
I couldn't care less about anything on this list other than Rookie Blue.
Flag
zip, nada, ziltch will I be watching from this crap!
Flag
Ugh. I anticipate maybe giving The Quest a try. But really, everything here is a big BLAH (although I do tend to watch a couple minutes of Wipeout every now and then).
Flag
I love Rookie Blue, can't wait to see what happens to Sam and Andy
Flag
Be good to have Rookie Blue back, as for the rest does anyone give a flying....... ?
Flag
Mistresses, Rookie Blue
Flag
motive mistressess
Flag
I will admit that most of it is trashy but Rookie Blue is actually very good.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members