A Mob City Community
TNT (ended 2013)

If you're one of the few who watched Frank Darabont's Mob City last December and were hoping to find out what happened after that big cliffhanger, then I'm sorry to report that TNT has opted not to order any more episodes of the noir drama. If you didn't watch it and don't care, well, it's still canceled. 

The series, based on John Buntin's book L.A. Noir, was originally ordered as a three-week limited event series, and given its low ratings—an opening audience of 2.3 million viewers decreased to 1.35 million in the third and final week—this news isn't particularly surprising. The 1940s-set drama starred The Walking Dead's Jon Berenthal as well as Ed Burns, Milo Ventimiglia, and Neal McDonough, and explored the LAPD's pursuit of the mob. 

Will you miss Mob City?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/18/2013

Season 1 : Episode 6

79 Comments
Comments (79)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
There needs to be a season 2 step up
Flag
Best show on tv what a joke tnt
Flag
UPDATE: Just finished watching Mob City and I gotta' say "Pretty Good Indeed"! I join the others who are sorry to see it go... Damn :-(
Flag
I'm actually just getting around to watching the series (The Few That Aired). I recorded it on DVR. My opinion of the show is on the side of what seems to be the "general consensus" of my fellow TV.com critics and that is, although I'm not surprised it got cancelled, Mob City was not as bad as some have made it out to be. It wasn't the greatest, but I enjoyed what little I did see!
Flag
It really sucked. It was plagued by implausibilities, goofs, poor acting, shallow characters, and really horrible dialog.
Flag
Aww! Not quite Boardwalk Empire, but still pretty good. Am sorry to see this go :-(
Flag
GOOD DAMNIT ! I was liking this show; I was liking it hard and wide !
Same fate as Last Resort ... I`m so sad right now :(
Flag
It really was just unbelievably boring. I didn't make it past the first half of the 3rd episode.
Flag
This was actually one of my favorite series that I even wrote a review here on TV.com about it. I was really hoping for a second season. With Boardwalk empire ending, we have no shows about the mob on TV anymore.

You would think network would want to do something different to cater to different audience. They are already 1000 cops and vampire shows, can we not just have 1 mob show?

I have nothing to watch from the genre that I really liked !
Flag
I love old period dramas such as the 1500 to 1800 old world, the WW II period dramas and the 1920 to 1950 USA prohibition and mob dramas. So this show was a must watch for me but even if the story and actors were good it lacked something. Probably it was too slow and sometime lame, A two hours special would be good to give it closure.
Flag
Aww... now what is Frank Darabont going to do with his Film Noir for Dummies book?
Flag
Not surprising at all. The show was not bad but it should have been much better especially with the pedigree involded.
Flag
I watched it but it should have been better.
They had a good book with a fine cast of actors to work with but it was pretty average when it should have been very good.
Flag
Not surprising, mainly because it wasn't very good and TNT were obviously dumping it but airing doubleheaders for three weeks in a row in December.
Flag
I like Mob City, but not surprised by this one bit. The ratings really weren't there. I especially didn't like how they aired two hours for three weeks, like cramming them in and making us hurry to watch. It was a lot to watch at one time. And I think the tone of the show made it hard to watch during the middle of the holidays. Plus, I don't think the film noir style is one that is appealing to the masses. I just think TNT really missed the mark on this one and didn't market it properly. This should've been a summer series and let it play out for 6 weeks.
Flag
The fact that Shane was in it is probably the only reason it had those numbers. It was pretty bad which shocked me because I thought Darabont could do no wrong.
Flag
Me, as a non-Walking-dead-die-hard-fan, liked his role in Mob City better than in the aforementioned show.
Flag
Shame, I struggled throught the first episode but the second hooked me and blew my mind with that sugar loving character Izzy who was some kind of stalker after his share of the money.

I'm over familiar with the mob stories of the time and the illusion of Bugsy starting Vegas but I thought Ed Burns nailed the outlandishness (Ben was supposed to have even left parties, killed people and returned afterwards to dance and drink, when the show linked up with history it kicked up a notch, like the visit from Lansky the short turf war with Mickey Cohen and the banana king.

I even like that it came down to a guys love for the dame, I thought Berenthal was perfect as the morally grey detective/former war hero who could act when needed. Demonstrated the difference between the mindset of a criminal or killer vs a soldier, both have done and witnessed horrendous things but whereas the criminals actions were self serving or enjoyed sadistically the efforts of the soldier were merely functional and effective.

You also had Neal McDonough as the righteous character and all aspects of the individuals trying to forge a future Los Angeles, sometimes it was heavy handed, sometimes too ponderous but perhaps as I wasn't subject to the hype for it's release I felt it was illuminating.

I also challenge people to watch the entire thing before judgement as I also was underwhelmed with the pilot, it's like a few hours WTF? There is always that guy "I watched 10mins and my ignorance and shallow judgement has been justified by this one poor review I skimmed."

Anyway it died a proper death because they had no where to really take it after the death of Siegel, the stakes wouldn't of been as high and the main character can't just run around keeping the doll out of danger from madmen pulling pins out of grenades in train stations.
More+
Flag
Wow, I am somehow even more disappointed reading these comments than the actual bad news. But I guess that's just the American audience for you nowadays.... I bet it would have gotten ten times the audience if it was a reality show about a bunch of idiot nobodies in modern LA.....
Flag
I hate hearing that arguement everytime a show gets canceled. Maybe, just maybe, this show wasn't good and it had nothing to do with "stupid American's who can't appreciate fine art".
Flag
Eric, come on man ... this was not THAT case ! The fact that they made the show run as a 2 hour movie per week when the average attention span of an american is no more than 8 seconds was the biggest mistake they made. The show was actually good.
Flag
As much as expected really ,the problems with this show is that it will always get compared to BE. Also the characters are not as enganging and their was'nt the right balance between action and story. I agree with the comment from kellyhiggins that the USA auidence and networks do'nt have the staying power as they have in UK . For example shows like X factor , Strictly, Spooks go on and on ratings are up and down.
Flag
Lots of great series out there... Netflix Originals, Amazon Originals, Cinemax, HBO, Showtime, Starz... raising the bar.

Flag
Won't miss it... It was really hyped-up (pre-airing ratings of 10, etc.). After watching the first two episodes (at about an hour and a half each without commercial-time factored-in), I just couldn't stick with it. I never watched the final hour and a half episode... at least not yet. Too much other good stuff out there to keep up with.
Flag
It was what it was. I liked it and would watch more if it were offered. That being said, I wish American TV were more like British, in that each "season" (American term) were really a "series" (British). At the end of each programed run, British shows end in such a way that it can be the finale. If viewers liked the series it, then another "series" may be ordered. If, OTOH, viewers don't want it back enough, at least the story is resolved. America has this love affair with the 7-year run. That's bad for 2 main reasons. 1. They try to end seasons of 'iffy' renewal shows with lots of loose ends to force the network to renew, leaving the loyal fan completely screwed if that doesn't happen. and 2. American shows have a way of sticking around 1 or 2 years longer than they should have and ending as disappointments. I always thought Mob City should be a 'one off' series and wish the US made more shows like that. Not canceled but just completed.
Flag
Sorry to be that guy but this isn't strictly true.

Have you ever watched Sherlock? Do you think that season 2 cliffhanger was "a series with complete closure"? Nope. Have you ever watched The Hour? Amazing show by the way. And the way it ends is horrible because it's a massive cliffhanger, and then the show got cancelled, and we never get to know exactly what happened next. Hell, even The Office's (UK) arc as a show wasn't completed until they made the final 2 hour special episodes later on.

This kind of thing may be a bit more prevalent in the US, but in my view, this happens in any place where expensive shows are created, because show creators receive very clear backing from TV channel executives up until the point where the show isn't commercially worth doing anymore. Either not enough revenue from ads or some investors think it's a waste of their money and force the show's exists, or something along those lines.

I personally think that contracts should not be yearly done, but arc-oriented instead. I still remember Fringe making almost every season finale a series finale just in case it was in that year that they got the boot. Not cool!
More +
Flag
Staff
Jumping in here only to say that everyone needs to watch The Hour immediately.
Flag
I can't agree with you more. I'm still hpoing for a movie as a closure fo the show b
Flag
I was considering but knowing there is a massive cliffhanger in the end is a turn off. I really do not want to watch a show without proper ending.
Flag
I understand that it can be a massive turn off. I'll say the good thing about it is that you can use your imagination to fill in the blanks, which I guess is only a relative good thing.

But seriously, watch it. You won't regret it. I mean you'll have a whole in your heart, but you won't be sorry. Take Ms. Kaitlin's word for it. She watches shows for a living!
Flag
I couldn't agree more.
Flag
Crap, I thought about watching it when it would start on the Scandinavian version of TNT in the end of February, and now if it is as great as it looks there can't be done much about the cancellation.
Flag
I won't miss it. It was an interesting experiment, but it didn't particularly feel for the show. I guess the noir style of the dialogue and the interaction between the characters feels a little theatrical and therefore makes connecting with the show difficult.

I just hope to see more of Alexa Davalos soon. She was the only woman on the show (unfortunately far too common on many shows and especially in films), but still shone bright.
Flag
Damn, I had no idea she was in it. I've always liked her a lot and sightings of her seem rare. Then again, I don't think her presence would have overcome the other elements that made me not want to watch it.
Flag
I wasn't even aware this was filmed and aired.. oh well, wouldn't have watched it anyway lol
Flag
I am so not surprised! I tried watching the pilot and about 15 minutes in I could barely stay awake and this is coming from a guy who goes to bed at 2 am each night and is up by 7 am!!! It was labored and boring I just had to stop it. Eventually I managed to finish it about a week later and started episode 2, well that was even worse and after 7 mins and gave up and not gone back to check if the show had improved or not. This would be the first time I am reading or hearing any sort of information about the show, it seems like my instinct was justified lol. I don't think a lot of people would be missing the show after it's cancellation
Flag
I enjoyed it a lot. But I never expected there to be any more. Six episodes about the en of Bugsy, and that was it. And what cliffhanger? Sure there were some unfinished story lines but, a cliffhanger? I don't see it.
A six hour movie with an abrupt ending, that's what it was and all it was.
Flag
I TRIED to watch the first episode. I had high hopes for it. But after watching a few minutes of it, I realized WHY the lead actress talked mostly about the wonderfully detailed period costuming in early interviews. She said more about the clothes than the script. That should have been my clue to avoid the show.
Flag
That sucks, really liked it :(
Flag
will i miss it? Not at all. it was subpar in just about every way.
Flag
I got into it and really enjoyed it.
Flag
I am going to miss it.. I mean it was good for what it was: a super cliché noir mob show and it only lasted for 6 episode over the course of 3 weeks! Not to mention some of the actors were just pure entertainment to watch even though some halfassed their way through it.
Flag
No, not really. I didn't think it was THAT bad, but with all the other good stuff going on the air right now it is easily forgettable.
Flag
What? No way! But it had everything:
- shoddy CGI
- nonsensical flashbacks
- hollow characters
- disjointed storytelling
- simplistic motivations
- pastiche after pastiche of noir cliches
- terrible accents
- bland femme fatales and few of 'em
- a general malaise of a showrunner who expects to coast on past successes and an easy premise
- an awful title
- a midget wearing a fancy suit and holding a toy tommygun yelling "bang bang bang" in the corner.

No, I won't miss this, it was a tragic misfire and a waste of a lot of talents.
Flag
Way. Now come on and tell us what you really think.

Flag
There's very little good noir, and all of it comes from wanting to tell a story, not ape a style. This is not good noir.
Flag
Considering the cast I can Imagine there was a lot of door slamming behind the scenes. Basically everyone wanted to get off that sinking ship.
Flag
My guess is the cast probably had faith that the material might have felt hollow while shooting but was going to be put together in the edit. A lot of movies and some TV are like that, shoot what feels like crap up front and then see it crafted into something good. And since they shot the whole thing up front, the cast probably didn't know they were on a sinking ship until it was too late.
Flag
haha I'd forgotten about this.....I was super stoked for it but then couldn't get through the pilot :P
Flag
I actually liked it. I viewed it as a pilot but sad to see it go.
Flag
I couldn't get past Jon Berenthal as the lead to get to the actors that I actually like.
Flag
I only watched a few episodes, but from what I remember, I dozed off in all of them.
Flag
And here I am thinking it was just me.
Flag
I wanted to like this but it was just to boring.
Flag
I watched about half of the series and lost interest. I enjoyed the period costumes, sets, etc. but had a hard time getting excited about the story.
Flag

Thanks for the heads up Kait. I woulda been mad as hell if I was to find out after watching up to the cliffhanger.
Flag
damn. I downloaded all the episodes but I havent been able to get through the first one. I keep falling asleep or getting distracted. I guess I can put those in file 13 and say to hell with it. Sorry bout that TNT, you need a gritty new joint for me to unwind with. I guess Mob City won't be it after all. Bring back NYPD Blue reruns. I'll watch that.
Flag
I loved that first episode so much. And then it got precipitously worse. So quickly that halfway through the third episode I gave up. Such a shame, I had high hopes.
Flag
I very much enjoyed the series. I thought they did a great job capturing the old gangster movie genre. I'm disappointed it won't be back. I loved Jon Berenthal's conflicted hero and it was great to see Neal McDonough as a good guy. I wish they'd wrapped up the story better.
Flag
No. I thought it was terribly written and none of the actors seemed to give a sh*t about their acting. Plus, it was down right boring.
Flag
Your wording is a bit harsh, but I pretty much agree with you entirely. It seemed like a half-hearted attempt to capitalize on the Boardwalk Empire fan-base in the off-season, but with none of the budget, writing, acting, viewership, etc.
Flag
Yes.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:30 pm
    Judge Judy
    NEW
    CBS
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW