Modern Family

Come Fly with Me

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Oct 07, 2009 on ABC

7.1
  • Even better than second episode

All the family was good in this episode.

Clare and Manny =9

Gloria and Alex =9

Phil and Jay = 9

Cam and Mitch = 8
  • Funny. Funny. Funny.

Phil tries to become closer friends with Jay. Funny! And Jay crashes a plane into his face.

Mitchell becomes obessed with costco. Funny! He thinks he hates Costco but discovers he loves it.

Gloria takes Alex out to buy a dress. Entertaining! Not the funniest part of the episode, but there was laugh out loud moments.

Manny is supposed to visit Luke but ends up talking with Claire. Funny! Luke is jumping on the trampoline in his underwear with a box on his head. (Why does Luke like taking off his pants? He is seen without them on in three of the 38 episodes I've seen (each one he wears a different type of undies. Come Fly With Me: boxer-briefs. Moon Landing: boxers. Door to Door: briefs.) ) Manny ends of taking to Claire because he behaves like an adult. I love the part where Claire says "See what I mean?" and he says "We'll talk about it next week."

This was a very funny episode with a sweet, funny ending.
  • Jay and Phill fly an airplane, Manny and Claire talk and Cameron and Mitchell go to Costco

Another great episode from the producers of Modern Family. This episode had three parts, each one important. I don't feel like there was an A Story, B Story, or C Story. This was the first episode that went into detail of Jay's and Phil's realtionship. I love how Phil tries so hard to get Jay to like him. This is a recurring theme throughout the whole show. While Jay doesn't dislike Phil he is uncomfortable around him. When Phil got hit with the plane and Jay was attending to the plane instead of Phil was funny. It's something that Al Bundy would do. While he was more concerned with his plane then with Phil, it was done in such a way that doesn't make you hate him. I also enjoyed Manny's and Claire's time. I think it's funny that while Manny is 10 (actually 10 and three quarters) he acts like he is 30 but you still like Manny. While you knew the realtionship of Claire and Manny it's interesting to point that they are actually step-siblings. Seeing Luke with a box in his head with no pants is very funny. The part with Gloria and Alex was great too. I like that Gloria said he was Alex's step-grandmother and not just grandmother. When Cameron and Mitchell goes to Costco it may have the funniest part of the episode. When Mitchell turned up his at the place at first it was funny to see how much he got into it. I also liked that he was annoying Cameron a bit. My favorite part was hearing the story of how Mitchell and Cameron met. As typical with many Modern Family endings it did have a happy ending even sappy it wasn't like what you would see in 80's sitcoms and made you wanna watch the show more
  • Come fly with me

Another sweet family moment ended this episode. That is an area Modern Family excels at (mixing those life lessons into the comedy.) The episode was good for what it was, but the show just doesn't have that "oomph" so to speak. It's missing something. Maybe a crazy neighbor?

Right now all the characters have the same voice. It seems like they all make similar jokes; there's no real distinction among them.

It is still early, the show might progress, but it really is just okay right now. Just not that good yet, and certainly far from a great series right now.
  • More like the pilot, very funny.

The second episode was good, but I like the show when everybody in the family mingles together and interacts. The show works at its best when they take every character and let them interact and talk with one another. The way everything merged in the end was very satisfying and reminded me that this show really is one of the best new comedies on television right now, let alone one of the best new shows, period.

Phil remains my favorite character by a longshot. Maybe it's just because I've grown partial to strange and silly lead characters in TV shows (Micheal Scott? Murray Hewitt?), but his awkwardness and attempts to connect with his children by acting somewhat like a child himself is great. The storyline with him and Jay was great and showed how around him, he's nothing more than a young son trying to get his dad's attention.

The show had the challenge of juggling four storylines and combining them all at the end, somehow trying to make sense of them. While it's certainly no Seinfeld or Curb Your Enthusiasm, Modern Family still effectively finds ways to end their episodes without them feeling like a letdown.

It boggles my mind to see the ratings of these episodes (on TV.com, not the actual ratings). 6.9 for the previous episode? It's hard for me to understand, but I have to say, three episodes in and I'm hooked. The more I learn about these characters, the more I want to see them.
  • I still like this show!

It wasn't the best but it was still funny.

Gloria made me laugh the most with her conversation with Alex. I liked how the honesty she approached the girl made her change her mind. And I guess that's the way you should talk to kids most of the times, with the truth. Girl's pretty clever.

Jay and Phil interaction was good and poor Phil trying hard to please the father in law and getting into trouble because of it.

I wish we had seen more of Luke. I like the whole cast interacting with each other and letting us know more of their personalities.

Nice ending. Good show.
  • These are characters I want to spend time with. And ultimately, that's the point of any sitcom

I was very impressed with the way this episode was able to mix-and-match the plots and family members this week. After Phil tries to reach out to Haley's boyfriend, putting him in an uncomfortable spot, he gets a taste of his own medicine when he tries to spend time with father-in-law Jay. I was really amused with Ed O'Niel's work here, especially in the silent looks. Directly hitting Phil in the face with his air plane is the meanest thing we've seen him do so far, but he makes up for it with another warm scene at the end of the episode that, as seems to be characteristic of Modern Family, is still sprinkled with some nice humor.

The stand out this week for me was Gloria. She seems so superficial on the surface, and the moment you see her, you think you 'know' exactly what kind of woman this is. But she is much more complex underneath the surface, and there is some real depth and insight here to the way she plays off others on the show. She's great with plucky little Alex (who might instantly be my favorite kid on the show) at the mall, and she continues to surprise with husband Jay, especially when it's clear she could have any man she wanted. Equal parts maternal and savvy, Sophia Vergara is an absolute delight.

There is an amusing bit where young Manny and tired mother Claire have a heart-to-heart. Technically, she's his sister, after all: "Mom doesn't like to use the word 'step'. It means it isn't real." There goes brilliant Gloria again!) And Cameron takes Mitchell to 'discover' Coscos. Some great one-liners here:

Mitchell, looking around in wonder after getting the paper shredder: "What IS this place?"

Cameron in the sit-down: "I'm like Costco - I'm big, not fancy and I dare you not to like me."

Mitchell: "Who says 'city mouse?' Cameron: "Country mice." Also, I advise viewers to please stick around for the very last interview- Gloria gives a hilarious confessional about what she did with poor Manny as a baby! Lol.
    Great cast, great new show.
CW