A Modern Family Community
Wednesday 9:00 PM on ABC (Returning Wednesday, September 24th, 2014)

WOW, I AM SO COMPLETELY SHOCKED

You knew it would happen. I knew it would happen. Even my friend who only went to see Thor because of its "love story" knew it would happen. Stan Lee has signed on to make a guest appearance in an upcoming episode of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Though there aren't any details about his character, his role is being described as a big one—which is pretty unusual considering most of Lee's cameos in Marvel projects are blink-and-you'll-miss-'em types. So, who do you think Lee will be playing? [THR]

BUSINESS TIME

... Sorry to burst your bubble, Twin Peaks fans, but despite rumors, no one is filming new footage related to the show. Wait, let me rephrase that: Someone might be, but it's definitely not David Lynch or series co-creator Mark Frost. I know it's a bummer, but I think it might be time to let this one go. [Zap2It]

... Sorry to burst your bubble x2, but Ryan Seacrest is never, ever, ever going to leave American Idol. He said we'll have to kill him first. J/K, I made that last part up. [Today]

... Proving once again that they're actually the coolest human beings on the planet, MythBustersJamie Hyneman and Adam Savage have a new special coming to Discovery called Dangerous Toys. The hour-long program will see the guys build a 25-foot couch fort and then attempt to destroy each other in an adult-sized kids' fort-battle game, which looks like it might even include a giant Teddy Bear Army. The special is slated to air this Saturday, January 11 at 9pm. [Discovery via press release]

... Sense8, a Netflix series from Andy and Lana Wachowski that was greenlit nearly a year ago, is finally coming together. The sci-fi drama begins shooting in June in the U.K., Seoul, Mumbai, Nairobi, Berlin, Mexico City, San Francisco, and Chicago. Why so many places? Because the series follows the lives of eight people who all share a common bond: They all experienced the same violent vision. But the best part? The Big Bad is named Mr. Whispers, so excuse me while I go ahead and make a note to definitely watch Sense8 when it hits Netflix in the future. [TV Line]

... Backstrom, an hour-long procedural starring Rainn Wilson, has been given new life at Fox after CBS passed on it last year. The network has ordered 13 episodes of the series, which is based on Leif G.W. Persson's books about an offensive, self-destructive detective. Adapted for TV by Bones' Hart Hanson, the series also stars Kristoffer Polaha (Life Unexpected), Dennis Haysbert (24), Page Kennedy (Weeds), and Beatrice Rosen (Cuts). [Fox via press release]

... I'm going to let you in on a little secret: NBC is full of jerks. After going through all the trouble to be able to stream the individual Winter Olympics events online, the network's had audacity to announce that it will not be live-streaming the opening ceremony. I'm a Summer Olympics kind of gal, so I don't really care much about the events themselves, but the opening ceremony is the best part! I know this is just a ploy to get people to watch the broadcast, but you still stuck, NBC! [Variety]

... FX, which is usually known for being the coolest of the cool, is jumping on the Annoying Punctuation Bangwagon that ABC is currently driving with Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. The network has ordered the comedy pilot Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll, from comedian and former Rescue Me star Denis Leary. It's about a guy named Johnny Rock (Leary), a middle-aged musician who missed his chance at stardom by basically living the same exact lifestyle I'm pretty sure all rockstars lived back in the '60s and '70s. He drank too much, took too many drugs, and slept with all the wrong ladies. But apparently this was all happening in the '90s, and now he's trying to get the band back together to make another go of it. [TV Line]

... A whole lot of freaking people tuned into to watch Florida State play Auburn in the final BCS National Championship Game last night. An average of 25.5 million viewers watched an ACC team with a freshman quarterback beat an SEC team. TAKE THAT, SEC. HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES? [THR

CASTING NEWS

... I take back everything I just said about NBC. Pushing Daisies' Anna Friel has just landed the lead role in Odyssey, one of the network's new pilots. And joining her is Jake Robinson of The Carrie Diaries (Bennet! OMG!). I don't even care what this show is about, I want to watch it now. Oh, you care? Well, fine. The project follows three families who are torn apart when three previously unaffiliated people are pulled into the same international military conspiracy. Friel will play Sgt. Odelle Ballard, the only female in her squad, while Robinson will play Harrison Wolcott, an anti-capitalist who's protesting the G8 summit in New York. [THR]

... Keegan-Michael Key (of Key & Peele) will guest-star on The Middle as Reverend Deveaux, a visiting preacher at the Hecks' church who offers some spiritual guidance to the family. The character used to be a spiritual adviser to the Cleveland Browns, so he “knows a group in crisis when he sees one." (Note: That is not a joke, that's actually in the casting description.) [EW]

... Aisha Tyler is headed to Modern Family. The Archer star and host of Whose Line Is It Anyway? has booked a role as an old law school friend of Mitchell's; their friendship is tested once she becomes his boss. [THR]

REQUIRED VIEWING
... Sarah Michelle Gellar visited Sesame Street to teach all the kiddies about the meaning of the word disappointed. She showed them the Ringer pilot. Boom. Thanks, I'll be here all night (or at least until about 6pm).

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/21/2014

Season 5 : Episode 24

45 Comments
Follow this Show
Members