Modern Family

Fizbo

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Nov 25, 2009 on ABC

• Another good episode.. and where was Fizbo for my youth?

Another good episode of Modern Family. This time around, there was a great simple idea to start the episode (Luke's episode) and each and every family member brought something to the table that eventually helped lead to the final moment. Plus, Cameron stole the show here (closely followed by Phil, who's fear of clowns made me laugh every time).

So far, I've grown to enjoy every single cast member in this show, even the ones who don't get as much airtime. They seem to mesh very well and it seems like second nature for them to be around each other, even though it's only about eight or nine episodes in. There have been a few weaker episodes of the show, don't get me wrong, and some of the episodes feel like there is nothing going on.. also, the show is missing some kind of hook that's driving the show forward.. although I suppose that can be answered by simply saying its a documentary that's following a family, and it doesn't need any unnecessary contrived plot point to drive it forward.

However, starting with the Incident, I've started to see different ways the show could work.. by focusing on the family drama and the dysfunction more often, the show could excel. Arrested Development pulled this off time and time again, and Modern Family, at times, has the same kind of feel within the family, but lately, it's lost some of that. If they can get that back, the show will be great.

I've gotten some friends and family hooked on the show, but it's hard to see how the show can be seen as straight-up bad. Mockumentaries may not be for everybody, but is this show really worse than half of the awful laugh-track sitcoms I see on television? Really worse than Hank? Seriously. Wake up and smell the bad television. My father was disappointed Hank was canceled and couldn't understand why Modern Family and The Middle was still on.. man, that gives me a headache.
USA