Modern Family

Go Bullfrogs!

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Oct 19, 2011 on ABC

5.8
  • One of the best

Amazing funny with Clare, loved Mitchell's and Cams ending. Jay and Gloria were good two,
  • Pretty Funny

Pretty funny. That's all I can say.
  • Not great but it is GOOD

Phil takes Haley on a college visit, and a lonely Claire goes out with Mitchell and Cameron. Meanwhile, Jay and Gloria consider having "the talk" with Manny. I thought that this was a good/decent/average episode of "Modern Family". It wasn't the best and it could have been much better but it was still enjoyable. Not much laughs to really go-out about and there really isn't much to say about this one. I guess I'll keep this review a little bit longer by adding pizazz it. This episode is good but it falls flat in the certainly of being fantastic or pure perfection. Not well-crafted, not a total slump but it needs to pick up the pace. Now that is what I call pizazz by using words like that how movie critics would do it. Now, I think I have the right amount of good space to talk about some thing. I think I'll only discuss with Jay and Gloria considering giving Manny "the talk" since that plot was probably the funniest. Most of the humor in that was a MISS and some of them were actually a HIT. As for the other plot, there isn't anything good to say about them. The closest I can say is that the other plots only delivered me like 3 laughs and a couple of chuckles. Overall, a good episode of "Modern Family" but it could have been better and use some more improvement to really keep it real and funny. 7/10

• Go Bullfrogs.. uhh, dogs.. Bulldogs!

Man, I love the Phil Dunphy character. He's this odd mix between all kinds of sitcom fathers and Michael Scott (he has the goofiness/need to be liked of Scott but not as much of the stupidity). Regardless of what people think of the show, Ty Burrell always knocks it out of the park. Here, he's once again giving his A-game, and the rest of the cast does a pretty darn good job too.

The episode deals mainly with Phil taking Haley to his alma mater to see how she likes it. Phil immediately fits in with the crowd, wearing a tight sweatshirt, a backpack, high fiving people whether or not they want one or not and doing cheerleader moves with the cheerleading team while on the phone with Claire. However, after Haley goes off on her own with some new friends, he grows worried that she's already hanging out with the wrong crowd.

As far as Cam and Mitch go, their plot dovetails with Claire's, and as a result, we get some scenes that are better together than they would be by themselves. Claire, with her entire night free from her family, decides to party with Cam and Mitch. However, Cam and Mitch are stuck in a rut in their relationship and aren't having fun anymore. Eventually, Claire goes off with one of Cam and Mitch's gay friends and Cam and Mitch begin going home, suddenly realizing that the valet gave them the wrong Prius. I wouldn't say that the plot is great, per se, but drunk Julie Bowen always makes for a good time, and I have to say, the writers changed up Cam and Mitch's plot just enough to make it funny.

As for Jay, Gloria and Manny, it was mostly a swing and a miss. Manny gets a package in the mail and brings it up to his room. Gloria worries about what's in the box while Jay tells her to give him space. The best part about this plot was Jay being invested in the soap opera he was watching. When Gloria walked out of the room and then the music on the TV rose to a crescendo before someone got shot, Jay's reaction was priceless ("Oh! Ronaldo! What happened?!")

This was one of those episode of Modern Family that sits somewhere in the middle of good and great. With a little tinkering, the episode definitely could've been great.

ABC