Modern Family

Mother Tucker

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Nov 24, 2010 on ABC

5.8
  • Another "meet the family" episode

I liked last week's episode, but this episode was another of those that felt sub-par for a show that won Best Comedy. I've loved this season of "Modern Family," but man, it felt like we've seen this situation before: one of the family members meeting with their parent, who is more dysfunctional than the last parent.

I'm not saying the episode wasn't funny, because there were some great moments, but the overall quality of the episode felt diminished mostly because this felt like a re-run of the same old idea. It's nice when a comedy show or even a drama show finds its comfort zone, but sometimes, the quality can be detracted if they stick too closely to it.

I won't deny that it wasn't funny; despite the plot of the mother being overdone in the show, it was funny to watch Mitch's personal space being heavily invaded by Cam's mom. I also like that we weren't given another stunt-casted celebrity to play Cam's mom. I didn't recognize the actress and that made it a little more believable. I did enjoy Phil's plot as well... for me, it was Phil and Mitch's episode, and Phil once again proves how great of a comedy actor he is.

For the most part, however, this was a sub-par episode in comparison to some of the other hits this season has had.
FOX