Modern Family

Mother's Day

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM May 04, 2011 on ABC

• Claire and Gloria try to have a good Mother's Day, while Phil catches Jay in a sensitive spot.

I felt as if Modern Family was sort of re-finding its groove in this second half of the season, but man, this episode was just sub-par all the way. It felt like a lot of by-the-books jokes and an ending that felt overly sentimental, and for a show that delves a lot in sentimental endings, that's saying a lot.

It's a Mother's Day episode, so you know you can expect a lot of Motherly type stuff. Claire wants to have a nice Mother's Day with her family, so along with Manny and Gloria, they all go together on a hike. However, Haley, Luke and Alex complain the whole time, so Claire freaks out and leaves with Gloria from the kids.. here, Claire convinces Gloria to come out of her shell and admit that Manny sometimes annoys her. From here, we get awkward moments, Claire's children refusing to apologize for their behavior and a whole lot of drama that somehow manages to come across as unfunny.

Meanwhile, we get Jay and Phil cooking dinner together where Phil thinks he sees Jay crying after reading a poem he wrote for his mom awhile ago. While I appreciate what this means as a character arc between these two characters, I thought there wasn't enough of a pay-off, since it seemed to exist simply to tie everything together at the end.

That being said, I enjoyed Mitch and Cam's plot a little more than the rest. Tell me it wasn't funny when Cam went to take a picture with the rest of the mother's and had on the most vicious and annoyed looking face in the world on.

However, one good plot isn't enough to make up for some extremely lame writing and and overall unfunny series of scenes.
CW