Modern Family

My Funky Valentine

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Feb 10, 2010 on ABC

6.6
  • Very good.

Extremely a great comedy but i felt Clare and Phil was rushed. I could of pointed out the funny bits but to be honest the funny bits weren't that funny which is why i would give it 8.5 instead of 9.5.
  • A funny episode

The Claire/Phil plot was really funny. The rest was just entertaining, except for the hilarious part where Lily is dressed up.
  • Valentine's Day

This was a wonderful episode. I enjoyed is from the beginning to the end. The best part was with Clive Bixby aka Phi and Claire. It was classic "sitcom my" when Claire got her coat stuck and all of those people she and Phil knew just happened to be the restaurant. The look on Phil's face when he saw Gloria helping Claire with her jacket. The whole situation with Claire was "hot" but not inappropriate at least for families with older children. The Cameron and Mitchell situation was good too. It's no surprising that Cameron was really into Valentine's Day but it's still funny. I think that Mitchell while not into Valentine's day as much as his partner was not being mean to him. The Jay and Gloria storyline was good too. I thought it was funny all the jokes the comedian had on Jay. I like Jay's reaction when he found out Claire was wearing when he bumped into her. This is one of the best episodes of the season.
  • My Funky Valentine

Not a horrible episode of Modern Family at all tonight. I still do not rank this comedy among the elite like Curb Your Enthusiasm, 30 Rock, Californication, Two and a Half Men etc., but the show is starting to grow on me. Thankfully tonight there were very few scenes with the kids (who everyone knows are terrible) and mostly stuff with the adults. The comedy gig by David Brenner was sort of a weak use for Jay, would've liked to see something a little better for him. The Phil and Claire storyline was alright, but the payoff on the elevator was very well-written. Nice capoff to the episode.
  • Slow build-up, but a great payoff, especially with Phil and Claire.

Man, I was thinking that this week would be a sub-par episode of Modern Family, one of the first ones this season. But I was proven wrong after the end result ended up being fantastic.

Phil and Claire's plot-line, involving them trying to spice up their Valentine's Day by role-playing, had a slow-burning build-up to the final hilarious scenes. I have to say, Phil as "Clive Bixby" was hilarious, mostly because he was making fun of those ridiculously suave guys who seem to get anything they want. Mitchell and Cameron also had an excellent plot, involving them trying to help Manny get the girl he wants from the school bully. The only plot I was disappointed in was Jay and Gloria's, if only because it was pretty low-key and didn't have nearly as many funny moments.

However, everything else was pretty decent. Hearing Phil say, in the persona of Clive, that his wife makes too many lists and is a nag, only to get shut down by Claire's fake persona, was hilarious, and the entire scene at the Great Shakes restaurant with Mitch and Cameron was filmed perfectly. Whoever doesn't laugh at Cam saying "Tarnation! He hung up.." has a problem with their funny bone.

As I mentioned before, not the greatest episode of the show, but good nonetheless. The show has a great way of taking moments that aren't funny and giving them a little something extra through the subtle facial reactions of the actors. A good job all the way through.