Modern Family

Not in My House

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Jan 13, 2010 on ABC

7.1
  • Barkley and Caesar Salad!

This definitely wasn't the best episode of Modern Family, but it had some moments that were bizarre and hilarious that lifted the episode up a bit for me. As usual, there was also at least one plot I wasn't a fan of at all, but I guess that's to be expected when you cram in so much characters and whatnot into an episode (although Arrested Development never had that problem).

The introduction of Barkley and how he frightened Gloria so much was one of my favorite plots in awhile on the show, not necessarily because of the humor but because of how random it was. A dog butler is the last thing I would expect from the show, but they did a good job of making me believe it. I also thought Cameron and Mitchell's plot was good simply because of how great Mitchell was. His reaction to Cameron nearly calling the guy Caesar Salad and during the tag, reacting to him saying "maturity" with an English accent, were excellent. The plot itself was a little dumb, but it tied into the Barkley plot with Jay and Gloria well.

I didn't really like the Jay and Claire plot, mostly because it consisted mostly of just the kids arguing nonstop.. It was clever how the diary plot tied in with the picture one, but other then that, I just wasn't a fan. However, seeing Alex thinking her dad was hitting her kid when she just mentioned it to her mom was a good addition.

I think people shouldn't go into this show watching it expecting the "best new comedy since Arrested Development" or something like that. Just watch it and enjoy it as a great comedy, and nothing more. It really makes it better when there's not absurb expectations to live up to.
CW