Modern Family

Our Children, Ourselves

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Jan 12, 2011 on ABC

• Jay is a jerk to Gloria's friends while Mitch believes he may have a kid from when he was straight

After last week's episode, which was fantastic in my eyes, I was a bit disappointed by this one. There were so many little plot points introduced here that are shoved aside either too easily or given horrible resolutions. There was the occasional funny line from Jay or Phil, but for the most part, things fell flat, which is very rare for an episode of "Modern Family"

I suppose what worked best was Phil and Claire's plot about feeling like inadequate parents compared to the parents of one Alex's fellow students. This leads to Claire questioning whether or not her and Phil are stupid or too simple compared to other people. The plot was pretty random and I doubt that Claire would truly worry about how dumb she and her husband were (we already know how ridiculous Phil is) but it lead to some great jokes, including a number of them revolving around a movie called Croctopus 3D. I also liked the whole idea of Claire and Phil finding romanticism and fun in seeing crappy movies together.

However, from there, we get a couple of pointless, aimless plots that make no sense to me. Mitch and Cam meet one of Mitch's old girlfriends and he sees her with a red haired kid. He admits to Cam he had sex with her once in high school before coming out as gay This creates some great tension, and if the show actually had the guts to go through with the plot and have Mitchell have another kid.. of course, that would be too difficult. Instead, the kid was a midget. Lame.

And the plot with Jay and Gloria was so pointless and weird that it's not even worth mentioning.. Gloria has some friends that annoy Jay, Jay is rude to them and Gloria says that he is senile. That's the extent. I did like Manny's cup that he made, but other than that, there wasn't necessarily anything laugh out loud hilarious about it.

I did like last week's episode a lot, but this one felt like a couple of steps back. Let's hope next week will be a step in the right direction.