Modern Family

Pilot

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Sep 23, 2009 on ABC

6.8
  • Disappointing. The funniest moments were in the previews.

I was incredibly disappointed with this show. I've long been a fan of both Ed O'Neil and Julie Bowen and, sadly, their talents are wasted on this cliche-ridden drivel. The guy who plays Bowen's husband is not a good actor and his lines are NOT funny. The gay couple had a couple of funny lines, but their whole situation (at this point anyway) is a tired cliche that's been seen before. The lady who plays Ed O'Neil's wife is hot, but she cannot act. My wife and I were really looking forward to seeing this new show and she didn't even make it half way through before losing interest. I watched through to the end hoping it would get better, but it didn't. It's half an hour of my life I'll never get back. I give this show until February- tops!
  • ok show BUT VARY FUNNY:) the the three styles of families.

VARY FUNNY:) ok show BUT VARY FUNNY:) the three styles of families. love the idea of havin three different kinds of views and of the families. really great how they put them together. however Ty Burrell of one of the family NOT cool. It is worth havin in there because it is funny. but really great idea maybe less of him. the gays are really funny. really great worlds combinde for the great show that ABC has put together. it might be worth watching it might not be only time will tell. but it a great funny show for the first episode.
  • The pilot

4.5
    It is hard to create a good pilot because you essentially have to do two things: you have to introduce America to these new characters and you have to create an episode that is so funny and memorable that it gets viewers to come back. This episode did introduce us to the characters, but I would not exactly call it funny and memorable. Ths scenes and jokes were very predictable and not exactly groundbreaking.

Modern Family is a nice throwback to the family comedies of the 80's and 90's, minus the laughtrack, and thankfully the show gets better after this episode.
  • Series Premiere

I've seen this pilot three times. Once online before it aired, the first time it aired, and the following day when ABC showed an encore. I thought this was an exceptionally great pilot and this is coming from someone who hates documentary shows like The Office, etc. I thought this pilot was really funny. And whats great about it was that it something everyone can relate to. The funniest parts were when the Dad was shooting the son, then shot himself, and his daughters guy friend. lol. And Gloria is great. I admit there were some stupid parts. But overall I liked the pilot.

Modern Family is about three different kinds of families. A newlywed couple consisting of an old guy and his young new wife and her son. A gay couple and a baby they just adopted. And the traditional family, two regular parents and two kids. And to top it off: They are all related.

Looking forward to future episodes, hopefully they keep me entertained like this episode did.
  • Great Show. Its like Arrested Development, but the characters are likable.

Really funny show. Great humor, with a combination of slapstick and subtle. It truly reminds me of arrested development, with 1 significant difference. The characters are far more relatable, so this might actually be successful.

"Please tell your friends to watch this show" The three families all have extremely different characteristics to them, which gives the writers a lot of leeway to keep things fresh. Also, "The Office" mockumentary style works really well here. The acting by everyone was pretty solid including the kids in the show.

Hopefully it will continue with the quality, and the directors won't let their standards dip.
  • Suprised with this one.

Jay has just recently married his younger, Colombian wife, Gloria, but he's having trouble keeping up with her and her son Manny. Claire is having trouble with her own family, especially with her husband Phil, who thinks he can be hip with his three kids. Also, Mitchell and his partner Cameron adopt a Vietnamese baby, Lily. Ok so I heard this picked up good ratings so I watched it, still slightley unsure on what to think about this and I didnt know anything about it before watching but it did make me laugh and it has tones of potential. Will keep watching.
  • Solid premiere.. closer to The Office then Arrested Development and has some slow moments, but I'm intrigued and excited.

After hearing so much hype about Modern Family, I have to admit that my expectations were set a little high. And it's inevitable that a show so hyped falls a little short of expectations.. but that doesn't mean it wasn't good. There was a lot to enjoy and look forward to in the pilot episode.

The documentary style filming is extremely similar to The Office, and Phil, the father of three, actually acts strangely like Michael Scott in some instances. He tries to act cool and hip in front of his children, which has cringe-worthy results ("You're strong, homes.") His dancing to the High School Musical songs was also great. I also enjoyed Ed O'Neill's character of Jay and Mitch.. Jay had this weird bitter humor and Mitch's surprise at Cameron's friends with awful names (Andre? Pepper? Honestly?!)

Overall, the episode was solid but not quite as good as the early reviews might have lead on. That being said, I don't want people to think I'm negative about it. Besides Community, I think this is the best new comedy this year. Watching Cougar Town, I think all it does is prove how high quality Modern Family really is. There were a ton of funny moments, and the tag with Phil playing basketball with his son on the trampoline left me laughing long after the show ended.

Now that the show has gotten the pilot out of the way, I'm interested in what the following episodes will have to offer.
  • Loved it!

The only reason I watched this show is because I read it had had good ratings. I gave it a chance and I don't regret, it was just hilarious.

I hadn't laughed so hard in a while. I really enjoyed the 3 stories, the 3 families. I have to say that my favorite is the one with the 3 children, since the kids are just so different and you gotta love the youngest. Nice to see Ed O'Neil back, I was a huge fan of his in his Married with Children days. And I was so happy to see Sofia Vergara, because as a latin, it's great she is in what could become a hit series. I hope the next episode brings me the same laughs.
  • Good but could be slightly improved

I think it was good but it needed to be more funny as a first episode although still funny.
  • What??

It won't let me play the episode. I click the play button, right?
  • The Pilot

This was a great start to a great and original show. I got into this show because of my brother. This show like Friends doesn't have one or two main characters. While the kids are secondary characters, they are very important to the show. While seeing the at the start and at the end may seem like your typical 80's family show it is far from it. All three families are structured but not perfect but also not considered "dysfunctional" (see Married with Children Roseanne). While Ed O Neil is probably well known character on this show it doesn't center around him nor is having to pick up any slack from the other characters. All the roles are perfectly suited. Alex reminds me of Lisa Simpson if she were older and human. Phil reminds of Michael Scott if he were a dad. Jay is sort of like Al Bundy if he had a successful career after high school. Claire (who I enjoyed from Lost) plays the role of being the mother so well. Mitchell is flamboyant but not over the top. Cameron is a little stuck up but it gets balanced with his partner. Gloria is a hot head but it plays well. The relationship of Gloria and Phil is not one of Gloria trying to marry an older for his money nor is it a older man trying to recapture his youth. I could go on and on but I don't want to bore you. I hope this show continues on for many years.

• About this episode

This had great written and editing.
  • I laughed my ass off

Modern Family has a boring title. Modern Family is a sitcom using the mocumentary style made popular by The Office. Modern Family is getting plenty of buzz from pre-screening critics, yet hasn't been advertised very well. There were a bunch of reasons for me to resent this show and hold my expectations high. I'm not as easily amused as the average person, so when someone tells me something is funny, I take it with a grain of salt. But Modern Family is hilarious.

The reason I'm giving this a perfect score is because the pilot did everything I could have asked for to premiere a comedy series. You'd thing following 3 different households would get confusing or even worse, overbearing. But they balance everything well, and completely establish every character. What's even more amazing is that every joke hits! Every single one!

This is the type of series where it's easy to like one character or family better than another, but everyone equally brought the funny. Family 1, is the tradional nuclear family but the standout might be the father, who thinks he's cool. Imagine if Michael Scott from The Office raised a family, and you might have an idea of what Ty is bringing here. Ed O'Niel is married to a younger latin beauty (and she is beautiful) and I look forward to their pairing- he's a grouch and she is full of zeal. And the gay couple may have some of the best one-liners on the show. Everything worked, some of the more subtle sight gags get the biggest laughs, and the reveal that they are all related made everything snap into focus. I cannot wait to see where we go from here!
  • The Amazing Pilot Episode

At the begining of this episode, you are introduced to the characters (except for Luke) and you get a huge part of the personalities of Haley, Gloria, Cam, and Mitchell and you get to know Phil, Claire, Alex, and Jay as well. After that, we see a lot of humor as Luke's head is pulled out of the banister, Manny reads the poem to the girl, we meet Dylan, we see the gay picture in Lily's room, Mitchell critisises names like Andre, and Phil shoots Luke and Dylan. Then there is a sweet ending where the family meets Lily and then more humor as Jay reads the poem Manny had written and then laughs "I mean, seriously?"

I believe this pilot episode was very well written.
  • Glad to be a part of this family...

What's It About?: It's about three unique families: a couple that's been married for 16 years and has three adolescent kids, a 50-something guy recently married to a much younger Hispanic woman who has an 11-year old son, and a gay couple who just adopted a baby.

Even with a limited time (20+ mins) and 11 principal cast members, they did extremely well with fleshing out most of the characters, for a pilot episode. Phil (Ty Burrell) as the "cool dad" is my favorite character so far. Julie Bowen, who plays his wife, is hot even without trying. Gay couple Cameron and Mitchell provide the biggest laughs. Manny is a teddy bear! You just want to hug him. And his letter in the end was so sweet and sincere, even for an 11-year old. I also loved that Lion King-ish scene.

Verdict: It's the best new comedy for me this fall. This is definitely one I can recommend to most as a must-see comedy.
FOX