Modern Family

Pilot

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Sep 23, 2009 on ABC

6.8
  • Solid premiere.. closer to The Office then Arrested Development and has some slow moments, but I'm intrigued and excited.

After hearing so much hype about Modern Family, I have to admit that my expectations were set a little high. And it's inevitable that a show so hyped falls a little short of expectations.. but that doesn't mean it wasn't good. There was a lot to enjoy and look forward to in the pilot episode.

The documentary style filming is extremely similar to The Office, and Phil, the father of three, actually acts strangely like Michael Scott in some instances. He tries to act cool and hip in front of his children, which has cringe-worthy results ("You're strong, homes.") His dancing to the High School Musical songs was also great. I also enjoyed Ed O'Neill's character of Jay and Mitch.. Jay had this weird bitter humor and Mitch's surprise at Cameron's friends with awful names (Andre? Pepper? Honestly?!)

Overall, the episode was solid but not quite as good as the early reviews might have lead on. That being said, I don't want people to think I'm negative about it. Besides Community, I think this is the best new comedy this year. Watching Cougar Town, I think all it does is prove how high quality Modern Family really is. There were a ton of funny moments, and the tag with Phil playing basketball with his son on the trampoline left me laughing long after the show ended.

Now that the show has gotten the pilot out of the way, I'm interested in what the following episodes will have to offer.
FOX