Modern Family

Pilot

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Sep 23, 2009 on ABC

6.8
  • I laughed my ass off

Modern Family has a boring title. Modern Family is a sitcom using the mocumentary style made popular by The Office. Modern Family is getting plenty of buzz from pre-screening critics, yet hasn't been advertised very well. There were a bunch of reasons for me to resent this show and hold my expectations high. I'm not as easily amused as the average person, so when someone tells me something is funny, I take it with a grain of salt. But Modern Family is hilarious.

The reason I'm giving this a perfect score is because the pilot did everything I could have asked for to premiere a comedy series. You'd thing following 3 different households would get confusing or even worse, overbearing. But they balance everything well, and completely establish every character. What's even more amazing is that every joke hits! Every single one!

This is the type of series where it's easy to like one character or family better than another, but everyone equally brought the funny. Family 1, is the tradional nuclear family but the standout might be the father, who thinks he's cool. Imagine if Michael Scott from The Office raised a family, and you might have an idea of what Ty is bringing here. Ed O'Niel is married to a younger latin beauty (and she is beautiful) and I look forward to their pairing- he's a grouch and she is full of zeal. And the gay couple may have some of the best one-liners on the show. Everything worked, some of the more subtle sight gags get the biggest laughs, and the reveal that they are all related made everything snap into focus. I cannot wait to see where we go from here!
ABC