Modern Family

Pilot

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Sep 23, 2009 on ABC

6.8
  • The Pilot

This was a great start to a great and original show. I got into this show because of my brother. This show like Friends doesn't have one or two main characters. While the kids are secondary characters, they are very important to the show. While seeing the at the start and at the end may seem like your typical 80's family show it is far from it. All three families are structured but not perfect but also not considered "dysfunctional" (see Married with Children Roseanne). While Ed O Neil is probably well known character on this show it doesn't center around him nor is having to pick up any slack from the other characters. All the roles are perfectly suited. Alex reminds me of Lisa Simpson if she were older and human. Phil reminds of Michael Scott if he were a dad. Jay is sort of like Al Bundy if he had a successful career after high school. Claire (who I enjoyed from Lost) plays the role of being the mother so well. Mitchell is flamboyant but not over the top. Cameron is a little stuck up but it gets balanced with his partner. Gloria is a hot head but it plays well. The relationship of Gloria and Phil is not one of Gloria trying to marry an older for his money nor is it a older man trying to recapture his youth. I could go on and on but I don't want to bore you. I hope this show continues on for many years.