Modern Family

Regrets Only

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Feb 23, 2011 on ABC

6.7
  • Claire and Phil fight about God knows what.

Tonight, I found myself laughing more at this episode than I have for awhile with Modern Family. I thought the season started off pretty strong and started losing steam the further in it got.. however, if the show can adhere to the quality level of this episode, I'll be pretty content.

The main plot of the episode seemed to be about Phil and Claire. Claire is furious at Phil for some reason and Phil can't figure it out. The episode is clever in the way it is able to stay true the documentary format, yet show flashbacks to try and lead up to the explanation of why Claire is so mad at Phil. We also have a minor plot involving Cam throwing a fundraiser for something I'm not entirely sure about and Mitch forgets to send out the invitations. It was a lesser plot, but equally funny.. but back to the first part.

I really liked the way that the show was able to address minor things while still focusing on the main plot of Phil and Claire. For instance, there were a couple of broad humor moments that worked really well, mostly because they tied in with the episode as it progressed and because they didn't milk the moments for all they were worth. For instance, Claire getting a massage at the mall was hilarious, because they tied in Haley's plot somewhat to it, and it gave me my avorite line of the night ("You know, when you get a massage, you sound like a Tijuanian prostitute.")

We also have the recurring theme of Phil liking Gloria. Gloria is giving Phil a haircut and keeps sticking her chest in his face.. and just seeing Phil's reaction to some of these things is priceless. It was minor, but in the grand scheme of things, it worked well. And for the second episode in a row, I liked the plot with Cam and Mitch. I don't feel as strong about their relationship as I did the first season, but I really enjoyed seeing Cam get stressed out. Stressed out Cam is actually hilarious, moreso than normal Cam.

Overall, I thought the episode was funnier than it's been lately, and I hope we get more episodes like this that just seem to flow better.
ABC