Modern Family

Wednesday 9:00 PM on ABC Premiered Sep 23, 2009 In Season

Modern Family Fan Reviews (138)

• Watching the decline of values and standards, in both sitcoms and real life

I don't watch Family Guy or any other shows that I perceive as being, "gutter humor" comedies, but I have watched many episodes of Modern Family and just do not understand its great popularity and success.

Many people are going to disagree with me and maybe even hate me for saying this, but I've been looking for a place to say this because for some reason it has just become my pet peeve lately, even though I have not watched the show for a while.

To me Modern Family is not only not funny, it's actually detached, off-putting and cold in the way the jokes are presented, simply as one-line zingers, but even more so in how the characters relate to one another.

I'm guessing the show is supposed to represent that this diverse, variegated group of people makes up the new, "modern" family unit, and maybe it simply reflects society and it's decline, but to me it is really sad, there is so little intimacy, no warmth or connection between people.

Maybe I'm comparing it by unrealistic standards, I know every family is not "Full House," the Brady Bunch or that old sitcom I cannot remember the name of, but they all say goodnight to each other, but to me, this show just doesn't have any heart or soul; it is all cerebral with zingy one-liners, but no depth.

BTW, FWIW, I'm saying this as someone who came from a very dysfunctional, impoverished family closer to that of Roseanne than any other I have seen on television.

Also, and this is where I'm going to say the controversial un PC stuff, but I saw the pictures of Ms. Vergara when she was a working Supermodel, and she was quite voluptuous and striking, beautiful; but now she looks old. I wouldn't say she's ugly, she is not, but she's not a bombshell knockout who I'd tune in to watch on a weekly basis. And frankly, all the other people are really not that attractive. Ed o' Neill, not much to say there, he's not exactly a looker, even back in his Married with Children days, Julie Bowen has gotten older and looks it, like Amanda Bynes said, Sarah Hyland is really, well I'll leave it for you to complete, but it's not beautiful, Ariel Winter is an attractive nerd, but I wouldn't call her especially beautiful, same could be said for Nolan Gould, especially in recent seasons after he's aged. I have heard he is really smart though. I think Rico Rodriguez is the best looking on the show, but in most of the episodes I watched he had pretty small roles. Eric Stonestreet is okay as is the other guy, unfortunately I cannot remember his name and don't care enough to look it up. Oh.... I almost forgot Ty Burrell, I think in some ways he's my favorite character and I do consider him to be relatively attractive, but being a straight guy I'm not going to tune in just to watch him. All I'm saying is that the cast is not all that great to look at. And for those of you saying so what, it matters. Most of the people on television are supposedly of above average physical attractiveness, that 's a big part of why people watch.

Mad Men, another controversial show with mixed opinions, most extreme, you either love it or hate it, but that cast is chock full of beautiful people, starting with Jon Hamm, to January Jones, Christina Hendriks, even John Slattery is a good looking guy, even if he's not comfortable being a sex symbol. Kiernan Shipka and many of the other characters as well are very nice to look at. I won't say anything about Peggy Olsen.

So between the unfunny jokes, the cold, lifeless characters and the way they relate to each other, as well as the not particularly attractive cast, what is so damn great about this show Modern Family?

I suppose the answer is that other people, probably most, don't see it the way I do, agree with my opinion/assessment, and that is definitely their right, but all I've said are things I clearly witness in every episode.

I just find it sad, watching the decline of our society(morals, mores, values and standards) happening daily before our very eyes, and so many of us don't even realize it, they think it is normal and great, like texting to each other when they are sitting right next to each other.

It is horrible how technology, all the innovations that are said to bring us closer together are really distancing us from one another. It's simply tragic how technology is destroying human society(look up what that word means, society) devaluing life, and diminishing/depressing our interactions, how we relate to each other.