Modern Family

See You Next Fall

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM May 18, 2011 on ABC

6.4
  • Alex graduates from middle school while the rest of the family struggles to get there on time.

Here, we got an episode of "Modern Family" that was just a few tweeks away from being really great. Instead, because of a plot that doesn't work for the most part, we get an all around good episode either way, and after the last two, I was glad to see this.

Alex is graduating, and everybody is dealing with their own drama while Alex attempts to write a good speech (one that Haley believes is stupid). Phil is going to Vegas with friends and believes that Claire is going to have a breakdown the day he is to leave, which means he wants her to have the breakdown the day before. With Cam and Mitch, Cam trips over the kiddie pool and falls down, which Mitch laughs hysterically at. Cam can't understand why Mitch would laugh so hard at something like that, but Mitch believes he's in the right. Meanwhile, back at Jay and Gloria's house, Jay does Botox and has a droopy eye, and the family worries about his health.

As I said before, there's one plot that doesn't work and it's Jay's. The rest of the plots seem to mesh well with Alex's plot and the way that the family has to get there. Cam and Mitch's plot is funny because every time we see Mitch laughing, it makes us laugh harder, even if it isn't funny watching Cam do that (but who are we kidding, physical humor is great). And when we see Phil and Claire rushing to get to Alex's graduation, falling over themselves and sliding down a hill, Cam commenting and laughing at it makes it all feel earned. But with Jay and Gloria, the Botox plot feels so pigeonholed, as if the writers were once again left without anything for those characters to do on their own and created something.

All in all, it's a great comeback for the show after two episodes that left me disappointed.
CW