Modern Family

Slow Down Your Neighbors

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Jan 05, 2011 on ABC

6.4
  • lol"Luke I am you father"lol

This episode is why I love this show. I love that Gloria's mom thinks that if you ride a bike you'll get taken. I don't like that Manny thought it would be ok to ride his bike with training wheels to school. I love that Jay wants to teach them both right away. The look on Phil's face when he realizes who the speeder is, and of course it would be his client. I hate Clair's sign, but I love that she loves it. Mitch and Cam are the best part of the show, they could have their own show. Luke IS the best teacher ever. Where was Alex, its not the same without her random opinion on everything she sees.
  • Definitely better than the last few episodes

After a couple of shaky episodes, I finally felt like the show was beginning to find its footing with this one. I still think that things came together a little too neatly, but everything was hilarious either way. Phil was his usual hilarious self, and despite the neatless of the resolution, I like how they got everybody involved and played off of little plot points mentioned in the past. For instance, Gloria frequently mentions how she's afraid of being grabbed while riding her bike, and everyone laughs at how ridiculous it is, but Claire's plot of chasing after a speeding woman means that Claire grabs Gloria off her bike and uses it to advance her plot. It's all a bit neat, as I said before, but it still makes everything hilarious.

I also enjoyed Cam and Mitch's plot, even though it seems as if they're plots have been completely separate from everybody else's lately. James Marsden guest-stars as a new neighbor who uses their hot tub by accident and ends up wooing the couple with his "Raki" skills and his charming smile. This places a little bit of strain on Cam and Mitch, but I'm glad they didn't play the jealousy card like most sitcoms would. Instead, we slowly see how crazy this new neighbor is and how its revealed he lives inside of Lily's dollhouse.

For me, the episode was all about the little moments. Gloria's reaction to riding the bike for the first time, Phil's attempts to lead his "double life, sort of like Hannah Montana" and his reaction when he realizes Claire and the woman's house he's selling hate each other. Not huge laugh-out-loud moments, but worthy of attention.

I don't think that Modern Family is having a sophomore slump by any means, but it certainly seems to be straining for its plots. But it's a ratings hit, and I definitely am glad it's around. It's a perfect show for families to watch on a Wednesday night, and I'm a little confused at how the ratings for these episodes are so consistently low, yet other shows of lesser qualities rate much higher.. but whatever.
  • Luke, I am your father.

Cam-Mitch storyline: Okay, so they see a guy on their hottub. They get in andf the gyusays he just moved in blsh blah. Mithc htinks he isn't a good guy to have around, but Cam doesn't. One day, Cam reutrns home to find guy (I think he was called Barry?) massagin Mitch. Then Cam finds out that vhe is living in Lilly's prnicess home sand evicts him.

Dunphy storyline: There is some girl who drives really gfast in the neighborhood, and clarie goes berserk to find out who is she and stop her. She tries to use a megaphone, tries posters, but fails. Turns out the driver is one of Phil's customers, and Phil has to avoid both to find out about each. But wshen Claire arrives to the open house to drink water, the driver offers to give her a ride, and she ifnds out.

Bike story: Both Manny & Gloria don't know how to ride bikes so Jay teaches them. Manny is a natural but Gloria is all worried. Luke decided to teach her. He just shoot her with a water pistol until she flees on the bike. Later, Phil is helping Haley with her homeowrk and Luke offers to help, soaking her whenever she gets the answer wrong.

Overall: PRetty lame episode but Luke was able to make up for it. He was HiLARiOUS! So he boosts the 8 to an 8.5/10.

7.9
    A surprisingly good episode of Modern Family tonight. I've only seen a few episodes this season of Modern Family but nothing has for the most part impressed me. Impressed me enough to acknowledge that this is a golden-globe nominated series. I always found myself laughing when I see that in the previews. Anyways, this episode was really good, and probably the best I've seen in recent memory.

I enjoyed all the plots. I loved Jami Gertz here, I enjoyed her on Still Standing and she was just as great here. The idea of teaching someone by spraying someone with a water gun was hysterical. Almost as hysterical as seeing someone ride their bike in to a bush.

Claire chasing someone because their going too fast on a bike was also pretty funny. I loved how all the story lines tied together with the bike and the car. Overall a very enjoyable episode of Modern Family, much to my surprise.
  • Very good

All the actors were equally good if i might have one greatest charictor in this episode it would be Gloria or Clare.
  • Claire and a new neighbor; Cameron and Mitchell get a "new" neighbor

This was another funny episode that was a small step down from the previous ones. I think it's funny when Gloria was worried that she would get kid-napped when she was learning to ride a bike and that exactly (sort of) what happened. Another funny storyline is when Cameron and Mitchell find out someone is living above them. I like the way Cameron is all giddy over him. I like that the guy, Barry did not come off as a douche although he is crazy (see the end). Is it just me or does that guy look a little bit like Boone from Lost? Claire's mission to get her neighbor to slow down was well intentioned but a bit fruitless. Her craziness was a bit like Gloria. It was a small part, but Luke teaching Gloria and later Hailey was good to see. I like that it gave him a small ego boost. The best part was Phil. When he realizes that the same women Claire is chasing is the same women he is trying to sell her house and how he tries to stop both from knowing was great to see. Like in previous episodes, this is not because Phil is a bad husband it's because he doesn't know any better.

I thought I might have been watching a recent episode of The Big Bang Theory has there was not a single laugh in this show. Okay, that was a cheap shot, but really, I did not enjoy this episode of Modern Family. They had a somewhat big name guest star who really contributed nothing to the broadcast, and the whole storyline with Gloria trying to learn how to ride a bike just felt like something thrown together by the writers at the last second.

I won't say this show is in a sophomore slump, but this was a bad showing.
ABC