Modern Family

The Bicycle Thief

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Sep 30, 2009 on ABC

7.2
  • AWESOME follow up to the pilot.

If the pilot was the show attempting to find its footing, than this is Modern Family finding its footing and providing some of the funniest moments I've seen in the past couple of seasons.

It's easy to point out the flaws in Modern Family.. Sure, maybe it drags a little sometimes (though this episode barely had ANY) and it's similar to other mockumentaries on TV right now, like The Office and Parks and Recreation. But I think Modern Family uses this the best (although an argument can be made for The Office). The camera work is subtle, never making it feel like they're trying to shove in your face "THIS IS A DOCUMENTARY!" Instead, you get some casual looks to the camera (Phil's quick glance over when he sees Desiree was priceless) and some talking heads that don't overdo it.

As I said before, this episode felt like a giant step forward for the show. The whole bicycle storyline was hilarious, and watching Phil dig himself further and further into a hole in order to cover up what happened was amazing to watch. It was like watching Michael Scott crash and burn, but not as awkward and sometimes familiar, mostly because we haven't had six seasons to get to know Phil yet.

Even the side stories were good, with Cameron and Mitchell having an awkward time at the baby place. Mitchell stealing the kids blocks and then realizing there was a security camera was also worth some huge laughs and Cameron's Meryl Streep talking head was good. The fact they brought it back for the tag took me completely off guard, in the best way possible.

The follow up to the pilot was a pleasant surprise. I hope the ratings can stay up and not fade away like a lot of great sitcoms. Modern Family and Community are the best new comedies right now on TV.. it's definitely a good year for comedy so far.

Phils look to the camera
    Jay's awful attitude