Modern Family

The One That Got Away

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM May 25, 2011 on ABC

6.2
  • Good but not as good as the one before.

But almost there
  • Season 2 Finale

For the second straight year, the season ended on with Jay's birthday. It was classic anything-that-go-wrong-will-go-wrong and very funny. The best part might have been when Cameron was talking to Manny, telling him what to do with his friend. I also liked how Clare and Mitchell tried to recreate a childhood moment only to fail. I thought it was funny when Jay picked them up and they were acting like kids. Another good part was with Phil and Gloria. Phil has always had small crush on her and this episode, I think it goes away for good. I liked how he tried to get his old friend jealous and enjoyed it even better when he realized how lucky he is with Claire. Another funny thing was the video. If you watched the whole series to this point, you would appreciate it more. The ending was great. It made u look forward to Season 3. What Manny did for Jay was great and too sappy.
  • I know that most of you probably thought that this was an extremely dissapointing episode, but what was special to me about this episode was the little hints from past episodes.

I truly enjoyed all those small hints from past episodes, such as the salty hot chocolate that Manny was so obsessed with in the first ever episode of the season, the things that Gloria finds in the drawer that links to other past episodes (such as the bebe gun from Manny get your gun), to the video clip of course.

I thought that this added an extremely nice touch to the episode, that instead of making Gloria find random, irrelevant things in the drawer, she finds all those items. Or instead of showing random video clips, they showed clips from a whole range of past episodes.

This is what makes this a truly special season finale, something that I haven't seem much of in other shows. Overall, a great way to end the season, albeit a simple storyline. This episode definitely deserves to be rated much higher that it is right now.

• Wasn't impressed

4.5
    This is the first episode of MF that i have watched where I was not impressed nor amused at all.

There was nothing funny about this episode at all. Manny's part at the end was the best part of the episode.

Claire & Mitchell:

They rarely get stories together and usually they are good but this was pretty boring. They wanted to recreate a childhood picture, go to their old home and get trapped by a dog.

The only semi interesting part was when they were talking about Manny being in Jay's will

Cameron:
    His plot was the one thing that COULD have been funny but it wasn't. It would have been funnier had they focused more on this story more than phil's.

Phil(and Gloria):
    I don't get this one at all. He runs into an old college/high school bud who gave him a hard time and phil pretends Gloria is his wife in order to make the guy jeakous :)

But he realizes the guy was always jealous of him and Claire and realizes how wrong he was with GLoria

The video was cute with past memories of the other episode and Manny's gift to jay was cute.

But this was really weak.
  • A great tribute to its own season.

Forget the medium side-plots of Jay wanting to go fishing, everybody preparing presents, Phil facing an old frenemy and Manny having girl troubles, this episode was a tribute to a wonderful season. Nostalgic, funny and characteristic.
    Seeing video fragments all filmed during crucial, memorable moments in the season was a smart way to revisit former highlights. But the best part comes from how all of these characters have grown. Manny now thinks of Jay instantly when he needs a dad, Jay only remembers becoming cranky when things go south and Phil finally lets go of his preference for Gloria. It all happened in such fashion that it doesn't feel rushed or forced, instead it's extremely normal and realistic. There's no greater pay off for fans than to see progress characters make become normal. Aside from that the episode featured lovely pairings of Claire and Mitchell, Jay and Cam, the Dunphy kids and of course Phil and Gloria. But most of all a welcome and natural development of Mitchell and Cam wanting another kid. A lovely way to remember the season and a wonderful series.
  • Jay: Now, the old Jay would have said, 'I wanted to be on a lake with a fishing rod and sunshine. Not bobbing around at night in a swimming pool.' I miss the old Jay.

Sooooo, it's Jay's birthday, and he wants to go fishing, but he oviously can't because

Mitchell & Clarie decided to make a remake of an old childhood pic, so they go to their chldhood house. As there's noone in, they brek in to the backyard. But therir0's an evil dog who keeps them on the treehouse. Then they throw a doll for the dog to chase, Mitch gets Claire's cell phone form the floor and calls Jay.

Also, Manny was dating a jokc girl, and faked knowing sports, so then Cam gave him some dating advice, but he was in a bakery, and if you only hear Cam's part it sounds pedophil-y, so he gets kicked out, and Jay jas to get the cake. And the Dunphy kids make a clip show of the family for Jay, but Luke's editing left a hilairous video.

Snd on a non-Jay's birthday plot (well, they WERE looking for the gihttp://www.tv.com/modern-family/the-one-that-got-away/episode/1381059/write_review.html?tag=capsule_reviews;write_reviewft) Phil runs into his college rival, and tricks him into thinking Gloria was his wife, but it backfires when he lears the rival would be more jealous if he knew he was married to Claire.

So then Manny overhears Jay's plans he could do & put the fishing boat on the pool & invited Jay in.

Overall: It was a nice episode, but nice plots and some laughs. Best were Phil redoing his childhood pic, Cam's pedophil-y conversation, Luke's video & Gloria's sexy phone (seriously, I didn't get the fact that JAy wanted a saxophone until I read a review!). 8.5/10.
  • 5/25

The season finale of Modern Family, and once again it proves to be relatively laugh free. Oh, ha ha, Mitchell is not able to throw as far as Claire. That's original and riveting comedy!

I have to say that it was a well-crafted story today though with Phil enjoying the idea of people thinking Gloria was his wife, and the trouble that Mitchell and Claire went through to recreate the picture of their childhood. They occasionally have some clever little plots and they did again tonight.

It is just that this show is horribly unfunny. They even managed to make Rob Huebel (the guest star) unfunny. If the show could ever figure out how to correctly tell a joke it might actually warrant some of those Emmys, but right now good storytelling can only take you so far.