Modern Family

Truth Be Told

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Mar 10, 2010 on ABC

• Flysa Minelli and Shel Turtlestein.

What a great episode of Modern Family. Here, we're given three equally powerful and funny plots that all find a way to work, plus a great guest appearance by one of my favorite TV actresses: Judy Greer.

This week's episode was about lies (At first, I thought it was kind of lame how this show focuses on a similar theme every week, as it takes away from the realism, but watching a mockumentary expecting things to seem real is a bad idea; that's what the word "mock" is there for). Phil is forced to deal with an ex-girlfriend (played by Judy Greer, who acts a lot like her character Kitty from Arrested Development without the whole "flashing" thing..) who wants to hook up with him again, Mitchell and Cameron deal with the possibility that Mitchell's boss overheard Mitchell bad-mouthing him, while Jay has to lie to Manny about killing his turtle, Shel Turtlestein. I've been harsh about Modern Family sometimes having plots that aren't funny, but the last two weeks have definitely been exceptions. I've enjoyed watching how each family deals with their respective crises.

And with Mitchell and Cameron, we're given our first possible plotline that can be picked up in later episodes. Usually, it feels as if each episode is separate from every other one, but Mitchell quitting his job seems like something that can be focused on more in future episodes. And I have to throw in one more thing: Jay's "What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger" poster with the random tree in the center made me laugh every time it was brought up, and the stories behind that poster were just great.

Modern Family has had some pretty great episodes as of late. Some people complain about the guest-star appearances, but I've only had a problem with one of them (Edward Norton.. sort of weird stunt-casting). Everybody else has been superb and has meshed really well with the cast. There's some rumors of the actress from Precious being lured into a guest role, and I have to say, that would be great. Another home run for Modern Family.
FOX