Modern Family

Two Monkeys and a Panda

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Mar 02, 2011 on ABC

4.5
  • Claire mediates a fight between Alex and Haley, Jay and Gloria argue about where to be buried while Cam learns some tough news about Lily's adoption (oh, and Phil goes to the spa)

For an episode that had plots that weren't all that important, I think the episode was as good as it was because the individual jokes throughout the episodes were spot-on tonight, whereas other episodes have a premise that is perfect but jokes that fall flat overall.

For me, the best back-and-forths were between Jay and Gloria. I'm not sure how much I believe in their relationship (they never kiss or show any physical attraction towards each other.. at least not Gloria towards Jay) but they have an undoubtedly entertaining relationship, one that's based on a lot of arguing and making up. That dynamic is brought up again in this episode, this time because Jay wants to be buried in a crypt indoors, while Gloria is freaked out by being buried indoors. I thought that Jay, Gloria and Manny had plenty of little moments that more than made up for how insignificant the plot itself seemed. The whole "spring in your step line" that Manny says was pretty funny, and the whole "Ta-Da" argument was just typical quirky comedy.

Surprisingly, Phil wasn't too involved in the episode. The writers decided to stick him in a spa, and while we get some slightly funny moments that make fun of him being a feminine man (the episode "Chirp" is still the best example of this), it felt pretty dull, as did Claire's whole plot with Alex and Haley. Honestly, it didn't even feel like there was a resolution there.

The title of the episode actually comes from a short story that Cam is writing for Lily to hear while she grows up. Here, we see some tension between Cam and Mitchell again, and while it's nice to see the way that they're brought together again, I'd love to see this show occasionally focus on a long term plot. Even Friends had moments where they'd carry on certain plots into other episodes and make a mini-arc. Modern Family lacks any of this, which is a detriment sometimes.

Definitely an entertaining episode of Modern Family though.
ABC