Modern Marvels

Wednesday 10:00 PM on The History Channel Premiered Jan 01, 1995 In Season

Modern Marvels Fan Reviews (15)

• Ever think about what makes modern daily living possible? Or how your food & clothes get to the store? Even if you don't think infrastructure could possibly be interesting, 'Modern Marvels' will make you think again!

I am all over this show! You never think about how things work (until they don't, usually!), and then you're only concerned with getting it fixed! 'Modern Marvels' manages to make the mundane fascinating. My best example is the episode 'Concrete'. You'd think this would be boring, but they talk about the history of concrete/cement (which are actually two different things), who invented it and which civilization perfected it (one guess as to who...)

Another fave was about how fresh fruit is picked, washed, sorted, stored and brought to the grocery store. I had wondered what happened to fruit that was not 'perfect', i.e. right size, shape, color, turns out they go into applesauce and other things like that where the fruit is mixed into something else. The good ones are hand-sorted into boxes & sometimes held in giant warehouses until shipping time.

I live in the Sacramento Valley, a major agricultural region, and it was interesting to see some of the experimental ways they're trying to make fruit picking safer for the (usually undocumented) workers. But people coming to work in this country illegally to do jobs that Americans won't take is not a topic for this review!
HIST