A Mom Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on CBS (Returning October 27, 2016)

The new crop of fall comedies might seem overwhelming, but it shouldn't, as there are really only a handful of new laffers worth checking out this season. Is CBS's new comedy Mom one of them? Read on to find out in the latest edition of TV.com You've Watched This Show Do You Recommend That I Do Too?

Mom? Is this a companion piece to Dads?

God, no. While the name is unfortunate, Mom is a comedy about a newly sober single mother who's trying to raise her two children while working as a waitress... in wine country. And just in case that doesn't sound challenging enough, her estranged mother—who's also a recovering alcoholic—suddenly reappears in her life.

Who birthed Mom? And who's in it?

The series was created by CBS golden boy Chuck Lorre. If for some reason that name means nothing to you, perhaps these show titles will: Dharma & GregTwo and a Half MenThe Big Bang Theory, Mike & Molly. Lorre created and/or executive produced all of them. 

Anna Faris stars as Christy, the titular single mother, while four-time Emmy-winner Allison Janney makes her return to TV as Bonnie, Christy's estranged mother. Christy's two children, Violet and Roscoe, are played by Sadie Calvano and Blake Garrett Rosenthal (the kid Winston nannied for on New Girl). Rounding out the cast are Breaking Bad's Matt Jones (Badger) as Roscoe's father Baxter (seriously), Nathan Corddry as Christy's boss (and lover) at the restaurant, and French Stewart the restaurant's chef. 

When does Mom premiere?

The parenting hijinks begin on Monday September 23 at 9:30pm on CBS.

Who will like Mom

Anyone who likes Lorre's previous work and who doesn't mind the laugh track will probably enjoy Mom's sometimes lewd, sometimes emotional comedy. This is a charming series with talented leads that has the ability—or perhaps it's still potential at this point—to tell heartfelt stories while also throwing out dirty jokes every once in awhile. Because what's funnier than zingers about sex, right? (Sorry.)

What's good about Mom?

It's a given that Allison Janney is great, and it's fun to see her starring in a comedy after watching her act mostly serious on The West Wing for seven years. The woman is very funny. And she brings some added warmth to the character of Bonnie, who could have been a one-note player in the hands of a lesser actress. Anna Faris is also great, and although she's mostly known for her film work, once the woman commits to a joke, she's in. Matt Jones' Roscoe is only one step up from Badger with regard to his proclivity for making questionable life choices, but what the hell, Jones has that role pretty well down, so he's a hoot to watch, too. Oh, and hey, Nate Corddry!

The comedy in Mom borders on good. While it's not laugh-out-loud hilarious stuff, the series revolves around an emotional core, so it works. Once the show settles into itself and we get to know the characters a little better, I think the series will find its legs and (hopefully) evolve into that comedy-with-a-heart-of-gold type of show. 

And what maybe doesn't work so well?

The laugh track. The laugh track. The laugh track. And some of the humor is cheesy, but that's what you get with a Chuck Lorre comedy on CBS, so I don't know if I can hold that against it.

So should I watch it or what?

Sure! Mom isn't the best new comedy of the fall, but it's a pretty decent one, especially in comparison to its fellow freshman sitcoms. It's one of the few newbies that stands a chance of surviving. 

Got a trailer?

Of course.

thekaitling:list:mom-will-you-watch/

Mom premieres Monday September 23 at 9:30pm on CBS.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/19/2016

Season 3 : Episode 22

59 Comments
Comments (59)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
LOVE THIS SHOW. Please don't ever cut it. It's great. I'm 67 and I think it's wonderful.
And I don't mind the laugh tracks. What's so wrong with em? I don't get it. If it's funny (and it is) and your sitting alone watching it, it's actually kinda nice to hear someone else chuckling or laughing along with ya.
Flag
Love this show. So funny. I really pray they don't cancel it.
Flag
Most people on this site must be pretty young. Sitcoms all had laugh tracks up until the last few years and that includes some classic shows which everyone loved. Why on earth do people think laugh tracks are so irritating. I don't even notice them when the show is funny. What I have noticed is that the shows without laugh tracks (and without live audiences) simply aren't funny. Mom was hilarious! Now I've actually got 2...yes 2 comedies to watch, Mom and 2 Broke Girls and that's it, unless I like any of the other new comedies beginning this season (which I've taped, but not yet seen).
Flag
The show has a couple things going for it (Janey being the hugest), but it's got a couple other minor things going against it, and one huge one, the laugh track. @muderboy, smoking on airplanes was a fact of life back when the Dick Van Dyke Show was on, but that didn't make it a good thing. The laugh track is so overwhelming that it's difficult to determine on my own what was a little funny and what was very funny. It's an interruption. A lot of humor is great in its subtlety, but the laugh track is like some bozo sitting next to you, slapping you on the back after every joke yelling, "HAHAHA!! D'ya yet it? Huh? Do ya??"
Flag
Watched the pilot for the simple reason: Chuck Lorre... But the show is crap and the characters are pathetic... Most of the laughs were pretty forced upon! Wish I hadnt wasted 30 minutes of my life on this pilot! :(
Flag
Wish YOU hadn't wasted OUR time (Mom fans) with your hate email. Just switch to another channel and let us watch the shows we like. we LOOVVVVEEEE Mom.
Flag
I don't know what the problem people have with laugh tracks. I've been around a long time, and to me, they've been a fact of life since The Dick Van Dyke show, and even earlier--I can't say I even notice them anymore. You didn't mention Mr. Sunshine, in which Allison Janey was pretty funny, although this cute series with Matt Perry only lasted 7 episodes. And it's nice to know that Chuck Lorre isn't affiliated with the not-so-great 2 Broke Girls which I've stopped watching. So, yeah, I've been looking forward to this one...
Flag
I got to the words Chuck Lorre, and stopped there. Won't be watching a second of this.
Flag
Good - we won't miss you. The rest of us LOVE Lorres' stuff.
Flag
The trailer looked a lot of fun and some good laughs. Plus, it's with Anna Farris and from Chuck Lorre. The man is a comedic genius; Why wouldn't I watch it!
Flag
Mom has more in common with Dads than we're willing to admit...the pilot of Dads was directed by Mark Cendrowski, who has directed a majority of the Big Bang Theory episodes, so he'll probably pop up here. Also, both come from their respective networks' cash cows, which is why I'm sure they'll both live to 13 episodes, possibly even 22, based solely on their creative teams, regardless of quality.
Flag
Allison Janney means I'll watch at least the premiere. That lady is pure comedy gold.
Flag
Dunno. I'm not opposed to watching this in general, I've just pretty much entirely abandoned CBS' Monday night comedy lineup since HIMYM starting massively overstaying its welcome and 2HM just got tired and stale (and that was even before the hated Ashton Kutcher joined). I like the cast in this, though, so maybe I'll watch it on the PC instead of Hostages or The Blacklist, both of which I've already decided not to pursue.

Flag
I may try it if gets a second season and the reviews are good.

Flag
It will only get a second season if people watch it now, and you can't trust reviews to tell you what you like....but hopefully you knew that already.
Flag
Unless s/he is part of the Nielsen panel, watching or not won't change a thing...
I often do the same thing, because I hate getting invested in a show and then seeing it get cancelled. (But I'll watch Mom because Allison Janney is in it)
Flag
I bought into Mike & Molly on the assumption that it would hold up as an emotional-core Chuck Lorre, and here we are entering a 4th season and it's entirely lost its way into fat jokes and domestic jokes. Honestly, it's manipulative and predictable, even if it is excellently produced (yeah, I said it, Chuck Lorre knows how to work the multi-camera system like a maestro). So I'm likely out, voting on the fence for now but I may not even give it a chance.
Flag
Fat jokes and domestic jokes? I guess Lorre's come full circle, having achieved his initial success writing for a show about an overweight married couple.

Kind of like how Spielberg came full circle by EPing Transformers, since his first movie featured a Peterbilt Semi as the villain.
Flag
Lorre coming full circle would mean writing another cartoon show's theme as good as TMNT. Roseanne wasn't just fat jokes and domestic jokes, it was lower-middle-class jokes, it was character jokes, it was the pain of sending your kid to school with old clothes without the weight of such a thing crushing the laughs.

Interesting correlation on Senor Spielbergo and Duel vs Transformers though. Optimus Prime is going to be some hideous new plastic truck in this 4th movie, so it's even more apt a simile.
Flag
Although the new TMNT series does feature a re-tooled version of his theme song, so I certainly hope he's getting writing credits and royalty checks, not unlike when Weird Al lists the original artists as co-writers of his parodies.
Flag
Why does Lorre insist on laugh tracks?

Flag
Laugh tracks are a staple of the multi-camera format going back to when Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball were perfecting its use in the 1950s. The multicam format is produced akin to a miniature play, the actors and even writers feed off the live audience's reactions. Callous folks claim the laugh track is just used for stupid people to be cued to laugh, and in the '60s especially it was used that way, even included as "canned laughter" - prerecorded laugh tracks that had nothing to do with the filming of that episode, the original Scooby Doo cartoon is an example of this, where is that laughter supposed to be coming from, the animators? But the truth is that the laugh track is essential to the production of the multicam-format show because without that recorded laugh track live from the taping (hence the "recorded in front of a live studio audience" announcements used in a lot of '70s and early '80s sitcoms), the audience wouldn't know why the actors are pausing, hamming it up, giggling, and in general reacting the way they are. The live audience is a passive participant in the taping of a multicam sitcom in that way, and thus a show with a laugh track is a unique format of sitcom. Nobody complains when there's laughter and gasps at a play at appropriate times, nobody complains when there's applause at a concert, they are part of that live filming experience, so too then is the laugh track for a multicam sitcom - it's part of that medium, and that's what Chuck Lorre is a master of - Roseanne, Grace under Fire, Cybill, Dharma & Greg, Two and a Half Men, etc. - the man has honed the craft of writing and producing successful multicam sitcoms.
More +
Flag
Still, laugh tracks are almost a deal breaker for me. But I will give it a try or two because of the actors who are in this show.
Flag
It's ok, not everything should be for everybody, except air and water (fire and dirt, fuckin' magnets, how do they work?!?), I don't like musicals, for example. It's ok not to like multi-camera setup sitcoms, but it's the bashing that bugs me, as if just because someone doesn't like something that automatically makes it bad (and the inverse is true, just because I like something doesn't automatically make it good).
Flag
You had me at would give the show a watch, then you said LAUGH TRACK! NO WAY!
Flag
Opposite of a lot of you, I don't think this looks half bad. I'll give it a go.
Flag
Doesn't interest me. But I think it will be a success because of the casting and Chuck Lorre.
Flag
"The new crop of fall comedies" - I swear I read "The new crap of fall comedies."
Flag
Your Freudian slip is showing.
Flag
And what does it mean exactly, doctor?
Flag
That you may know something we don't...
Flag
I'm watching Sleepy Hollow when this is on, so I may catch up on it when The Following starts
Flag
It's Allison Janney. I HAVE to watch.
Flag
This show when I read the premise I thought: no, no, no, no, no! The trailer though looked really good. This one and Brooklyn Nine-Nine were surprises to me and so I will catch up and watch if they get renewed.
Flag
They're only going to get renewed if people watch now.
Flag
As I've said to people who have stated this before, I rarely do this, only when I'm not really interested in the show until I see a trailer.
Flag
I'll give it a try but I'm not anticipating liking it. Then again, low expectations never seem to hurt.
Flag
The one benefit of being a pessimist is that you're always either proven right, or pleasantly surprised.
Flag
The laugh track is annoying but I'll probably check out the first few episodes.
Flag
Not the biggest fan of Lorre, I do like TBBT and I have a thing for Anna Far is so I may try it
Flag
I'm going to trust you on this, and give it a shot, I love shows with an emotional core, so I'll give this show the 4-episode test and see what I think. I hate laugh tracks, and the only show I still watch with one is HIMYM(and it is ending this year), so if anything turns me away. that laugh track is it.
Flag
This article should have been completed erased and just summed up from scratch, with one word: NO.
Flag
Chuck Lorre has to be one of the biggest underachievers in Hollywood considering how much he has produced. He really aims for the lowest common denominator every single time. He could never create something like Community, Louie, Arrested Development or Happy Endings.
Flag
Present evidence to any of these claims. Every show he's done in the past 23 years has had humor that spans from lowest common denominator to surprisingly adroit. Lowbrow does not automatically mean lowest common denominator. And the idea that he couldn't create those other shows, of that I can only agree that he couldn't create Louie because that's a show starring its creator - everything else is ridiculously subjective and entirely unfair. If his shows are such moronic crap that snobs can look down their nose at them without ever watching, why are they crushing it in ratings, why are they regularly nominated for top honors?
Flag
Agreed, Captain. Totally agreed.

You mention that Lorre could not create Louie for the obvious reason that it was created by Louie CK. Another valid point to make is that of those other 3 shows, Happy Endings is canceled, Arrested Development was canceled for years before returning, via unconventional means, to mixed reactions, and Community can be found on the bubble every time the calendar says "May." Also, Louie is on cable, which is not Lorre's primary domain (although his shows all still live on in cable syndication).

Chuck Lorre's track record speaks for itself: Roseanne ran for 9 seasons, Grace under Fire ran for 5 (possibly longer had Brett Butler not been such a controlling drugged-out bitch), Cybill for 4, Dharma & Greg for 5. His three current shows, sometimes inexplicably (I'm looking at you, Two and a Half Men), have been on for a combined 20 years.

So Taccado is right, Lorre never could create those 4 shows, but then again, he doesn't have to. Chaim Levine is just like you and me, he puts his pants on one leg at a time...except once his pants are on, he makes long-running network sitcoms.
More +
Flag
No
Flag
I might give this one a shot especially now it it evident I am only watching thia and Brooklyn 99 as new comedies. I can look past laugh tracks (like I can on BBT especially when they make a science or otherwise nerdy joke that the laugh track doesn't catch).
Flag
Follow this Show
Members