Monk Forums

USA (ended 2009)

Anyone else think Monk is starting to go downhill?

Phoenix911983

[1]Aug 6, 2007
    • level: 9
    I used to love Monk it was one of the most hilarious shows on televison for the first 4-5 seasons but I started thinking at the end of last season that it just wasn't the same, and after watching the four episodes they've shown this season its kind of confirmed it, before I used to laugh throughout the entire episode whereas now I chuckle maybe once (the rapper episode was awful I don't think I laughed at all) Maybe its just me, and I will keep watching in hopes that it'll get better but it seems to me that for a show thats won awards for comedy and is nominated once again this year....its not quite cutting it anymore
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kkj228elbo

[2]Aug 6, 2007
    wow- I couldn't agree with you more. The first few seasons were... amazing. They knew how to balance out Monk's quirks with an interesting murder plot. Now, they are just making everyone look like idiots who don't belong in law-enforcement. I miss the old Monk! :/

Kaze_no_Mirai

[3]Aug 6, 2007
    • level: 5
    I wrote something similar around the beginning of Season 5. I noticed that every once in a while a thread like this will pop up.

Rattrap007

[4]Aug 10, 2007
    • level: 14
    Oh yeah.. I agree 100%. The plots are getting weak at best and implausible and convalueded at worst. The bad girlfriend was out of left field and kinda weak in the motive and mystery. Easy to solve. Tonights episode was so weak. Gee I'm on a T-Shirt meeting the man I killed. I gotta get that shirt destroyed. So they pay a teen to date the girl and make her burn it? That was the stupidest thing I've seen in a long time. Hell a 8 year old Shawn Spencer from Psych could solve these new episodes while Monk and Co. are trying process the scene.

allisonwl777

[5]Aug 10, 2007
    • level: 4

Sorry guys, I've got to disagree. I still enjoy Monk more than almost any other show on television! It may not be as good in some ways, but now I feel even more comfortable with the characters and look forward to the show even more than I did in the beginning. I think each season has its ups and downs, and like one of yousaid, a thread like this always shows up at some point. Tony Shaloub is still one of the best actors in television. I recently saw an X-files with him "Soft Light". His acting is so much better than David Duchovny's and Gillian Anderson's that it is almost embarrassing!

dman_dustin

[6]Aug 10, 2007
    • level: 8

Rattrap007 wrote:
    Oh yeah.. I agree 100%. The plots are getting weak at best and implausible and convalueded at worst. The bad girlfriend was out of left field and kinda weak in the motive and mystery. Easy to solve. Tonights episode was so weak. Gee I'm on a T-Shirt meeting the man I killed. I gotta get that shirt destroyed. So they pay a teen to date the girl and make her burn it? That was the stupidest thing I've seen in a long time. Hell a 8 year old Shawn Spencer from Psych could solve these new episodes while Monk and Co. are trying process the scene.

I knew it had to do with the shirt but I didn't know why until the very end. Also keep in mind Monk can't focus his complete attention all the time with all of his phobias. Also keep in mind Shawn has better memory skills than Adrian

ixmattxi

[7]Aug 10, 2007

Rattrap007 wrote:
    The worst part is, stupid shirt conspiracy aside, the plot was pretty much exactly the same as Mr. Monk and the Billionaire Mugger.

But in response to the original thread, yes...the show is going down hill. It has been ever since Season 4. The writers seem to have run out of ways to geniunely develope and use the character, so instead they simply turn him into a caricature of his former self who is driven only by his phobias which make him more and more ridiculous each week (Monk sniffs marijuna and gets high, Monk is so out of touch with reality he doesn't know what a computer or email is, even though he has used both at previous points in the series, Monk remembers his own birth). Ontop of that, the "Guest Star of the Week" gimmick of the past two seasons screams desperate.

That being said, it is still better than most other shows and still ok. But if the writers have really run out of ideas, it needs to end before it overstays its welcome and becomes ridiculously bad like The X-Files.

Edited on 08/11/2007 8:36am

BTRAV

[8]Aug 11, 2007
    • level: 27
    I too am disappointed and questioning my reasons for continuing to watch.

Farthings

[9]Aug 11, 2007
    • level: 3
    Monk is still one of the classiest and most classic shows on television. This topic comes up again, year after year---and AGAIN---Tony gets nominated for an Emmy. Please, if you don't enjoy it, stop watching. We'll do that for you. You can count on it.

ixmattxi

[10]Aug 11, 2007
    Farthings wrote:
    Monk is still one of the classiest and most classic shows on television. This topic comes up again, year after year---and AGAIN---Tony gets nominated for an Emmy. Please, if you don't enjoy it, stop watching. We'll do that for you. You can count on it.

Y'know, people are allowed these crazy things called...opinions.

ixmattxi

[11]Aug 11, 2007
    BTRAV wrote:

I'm honestly questioning if my only reason for watching is because it is the lead in to Psych.

Phoenix911983

[12]Aug 11, 2007

ixmattxi wrote:
    BTRAV wrote:
    I'm honestly questioning if my only reason for watching is because it is the lead in to Psych.

I was thinking the same thing!

omiisbald

[13]Aug 11, 2007
    • level: 7
    *Gasp* i still love this show!

dman_dustin

[14]Aug 11, 2007
    • level: 8

You know not one of the shows I frequently watch does something that makes it so I don't want to watch it. I guess I'm a true fan when it comes tothe shows I watch.

Basically all Monk has to do is solve cases and eventually find out who killed Trudy

Rattrap007

[15]Aug 12, 2007
    • level: 14
    Phoenix911983 wrote:

ixmattxi wrote:
    BTRAV wrote:

I was thinking the same thing!

You can add me to the list too. i may chuckle a little now and then, but nowhere near as I used to. The plots just get weaker and weaker. Oh well at least I got Psych..

Kaze_no_Mirai

[16]Aug 17, 2007
    • level: 5
    I can't believe people are saying that Psych is a better show, I know it's because of differing opinions. Psych great, I like the show. But the 1st season so far is completely better than the second one, even the first few episodes. Shawn's character is often times very annoying/irritating and very childish. The only thing that I enjoy from the show is the crime solving process, and even that isn't so great when compared to other shows. Monk is definitely not what it used to be, but it's still a very good show. Psych is solid, but it hasn't caught my attention lately like the first season did. Either way, this a Monk forum. Not theplace to discuss which show is better than Monk.

PikeBishop

[17]Aug 18, 2007
    • level: 31

Another Aye vote here.

I almost turned off last night's episode in the first ten minutes. Buried Treasure? Like Monk would ever fall for any story concocted by those three stoner idiots? I think I actually cringed.

Oh yeah and the tenuous unbelievable tie in to a supporting cast member that they have been over playing recently (Captain's girlfriend, Julie's beau, Shrink's son etc.).

And lets add another to last week's show, the incredibly unbelievabley barely possible let alone plausible tie-in to the secondary plot. Julie's tee shirt just happens to have caught the one in a ninteen billion chance image that needs to be destroyed by the villain? Puh-leez!

badbunny699

[18]Aug 18, 2007
    • level: 10

Yes I agree that the writing of the show is going downhill.

But as a loyal viewer I will still continue to watch and hope every week that it will get better.

The worst had to be the Snoop Dog episode......what were they thinking???

ixmattxi

[19]Aug 18, 2007
    PikeBishop wrote:

Another Aye vote here.

I almost turned off last night's episode in the first ten minutes. Buried Treasure? Like Monk would ever fall for any story concocted by those three stoner idiots? I think I actually cringed.

Oh yeah and the tenuous unbelievable tie in to a supporting cast member that they have been over playing recently (Captain's girlfriend, Julie's beau, Shrink's son etc.).

And lets add another to last week's show, the incredibly unbelievabley barely possible let alone plausible tie-in to the secondary plot. Julie's tee shirt just happens to have caught the one in a ninteen billion chance image that needs to be destroyed by the villain? Puh-leez!

Yeah, stuff like that is getting really old, really fast. Next week Harold Krenshaw is somehow tied to a murder. Last year it was Randy's uncle (despite the fact that the show previously stated Randy does not have an uncle). Its sad to see what once was a great show stoop so low. The shark is getting nearer and nearer.

pgsuperfan

[20]Aug 18, 2007
    • level: 25
    allisonwl777 wrote:

Sorry guys, I've got to disagree. I still enjoy Monk more than almost any other show on television! It may not be as good in some ways, but now I feel even more comfortable with the characters and look forward to the show even more than I did in the beginning. I think each season has its ups and downs, and like one of yousaid, a thread like this always shows up at some point. Tony Shaloub is still one of the best actors in television. I recently saw an X-files with him "Soft Light". His acting is so much better than David Duchovny's and Gillian Anderson's that it is almost embarrassing!

I agree with you MONK is still great and going stong in the ratings