Monk Forums

USA (ended 2009)

Anyone else think Monk is starting to go downhill?

BruceRM

[41]Sep 11, 2007
    • level: 3
    A real fan cares about a show, and doesn't just blindly, unconditionally love it. If you care about something, it means you are aware of the fact that it's not doing so well. Criticizing a show doesn't make you less of a fan than the guy who says "it was the best!" to even the worst episode. I say it makes you more of a fan. Anyone who says the best episode of Seasons 5 or 6 are anywhere close to the best episodes of previous seasons is simply blinded by adoration. Of course, people just coming in to say they hate the show for the sake of saying they hate the show are jerks and don't deserve the slightest regard. But such posts are rare, and nobody should presume all posts critical of a show are in line with such rude, inconsiderate action.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pinklavender

[42]Sep 11, 2007
    • level: 23

Well ... with regards to who is a fan ... who isn't a fan ... as my children would say ... whatever ... !!!

Unfortunately in the lifespan of an excellent series ... which Monk has always been ... the end has to come ... sometimes whatever 'it' was that captured our hearts, mind and mostly sense of humour just goes, and we find it isn't that funny anymore. Anyone with an ounce of sense learns when to bow out gracefully and leave on a high. I read that Ricky Gervais stopped writing The Office for exactly that reason ... it is always best to leave with your audience wantingmore than have the audience switching off in boredom or worse ... cringeing at what they are seeing ... and if we are honest this season's Monk has had a few humdingers!

I think the show has surpassed itself in its writing and comedy. The actors have been outstanding. But seriously ... if this next one is the series end, then one 'special' to tie up the loose ends would be fantastic and a fitting tribute to a fantastic series.

pgsuperfan

[43]Sep 15, 2007
    • level: 25
    MONK IS STILL GREAT AS ALWAYS

raffstyle

[44]Sep 16, 2007
    • level: 11

I think it's going downhill because it's trying to be funny. First few seasons the mix of mystery and comedy was great. The murders always happened in such strange ways, that kept you thinking "wtf?how did that happen". But now it's just monk getting in a funny situation and solving a boring murder, while the whole cast looks like total idiots...

I don't dislike the show now, it is pretty funny and one of my favourite shows. But I just miss the old (more columbo-like) monk.

geoellis2

[45]Sep 30, 2007
    • level: 38
    I just watched the dvd - season two - the best in my opinion. The difference is astounding. It's not as if Monk went downhill overnight, but gradually the plots have become more untidy. Although always a bit far-fetched, the episodes from that season were written with interesting mysteries, a great blend of comedic diversion, and strong supporting character input. Furthermore, each episode had similar cohesion and consistency, with regard to character development, and especially with Monk's phobic behavior. The bonus material from that collection had exec producer Andy Breckman discussing the concept he had for the show. He described it as "Sherlock Holmes meets Columbo meets Seinfeld". That was immediately understood while watching those early episodes. It would not come close to describing the current crop of episodes, where each story seems to be built around a 'gimmicky' title. Monk's behavior (and Disher's) has become much more antisocial, and while I did at first like Natalie's addition to the cast, she is apparently now doing Monk's work for him, while allowing him to simply exploit the obsessive/compulsive disorders at everyone's expense.
    Even last season, while a step down from its best, was way better quality than now. We now only occasionally get a juicy mystery, and the rest of the time, it's just obnoxious. It's still better than most stuff on TV, but only just.

CMJunkie

[46]Oct 8, 2007
    • level: 8
    I have to laugh at people who spend time on a forum bashing the show that it is about. But... you're right, you can voice your opinion regardless .... I love Monk. I love Dr. Kroger, and Natalie, and Stottlemeyer....... and personally, I wouldn't even put Psych in the same field as Monk... Psych gets annoying too quickly. Easy to tell I am an old fogey, hey? HA

Areleos

[47]Oct 8, 2007
    • level: 2

I love Monk... Its a great show, always was and always will be. Am I laughing as much as I used to? No... Its true that Monk is in a slight slump and yes the t-shirt episode was ridiculous but I must disagree on the point made about the snoop dog episode... I loved it.

The point where I agree again is that of the observational skills... They aren't what they used to be or haven't been in these first episodes but lets wait and see what the rest of the season has to bring.

One last thing... There was a point made in an earlier post that Shawn from Psych has a better memory than monk. Monk remembers Every Person He Ever Met. Their skills are different and there ways are different so you can't compare them.

Ok. I'm Out

PLCTheCd

[48]Oct 20, 2007
    • level: 9
    I'm thinking the episode with Snoop Dog was a damn disappointment, Monk was too whiny and literal in the episode...makes me wanna punch Tony Shaloub for it...

Dzyres

[50]Nov 6, 2007
    • level: 7

[QUOTE="PLCTheCd"]I'm thinking the episode with Snoop Dog was a damn disappointment, Monk was too whiny and literal in the episode...makes me wanna punch Tony Shaloub for it...[/QUOTE]I HATED this episode. Absolutely HATE IT! I thought it was nice that Snoop was singing the Intro, although I like the one from the other guy who sings in Toy Story as well. However, this episode was just sooo ODD and it was so HARD watching Snoop act in this show. What the hell was he thinking? Monk is a great show, but come on Snoop! That's like seeing Jay Z onFrasieror something. Just Odd. This is when I thought Monk was def losing it's flair. ALthough, this season has been a bit off with some hits and misses. The one with "the bird and the bees" is nice though. I am watching it now.

Edited on 11/06/2007 8:53am
    Edited 2 total times.

ixmattxi

[51]Nov 20, 2007
    • level: 4
    mnmopper wrote:
    I think it's going downhill, but I think it's already been going downhill for quite a bit now. The point where it started to go downhill was in Season 3 where the writing focused more on Monk's OCD rather than the mystery, but it still maintained a very good level especially with the chemistry of the characters. However, a landslide started when Sharona left the show. Now Sharona was exactly right for Monk, sure she was strict, but she was also supportive and faithful. The two of them had wonderful chemistry which was one of the driving forces of the show. Her chemistry with Disher was great too and a romance looked like it was bubbling. Anyway, one of the great factors is she treated Monk overall like an adult, but knew when to put the kid gloves on. However Natalie treats Monk overall like her baby brother and does nothing interesting but deliver a flat delivery of lines and still screentime (why is she getting more lines still?) However I won't blame it all on Sharona's depature and Natalie's arrival for there are other factors involved. The writing has been even more dumbed down with weak mysteries, too much focus on the humor, and I could go on about the writing. Also, Monk has been turned from a quirky but intelligent detective to an idiotic baby and a sad clown especially since it looks like Trudy's death had no effect on Monk's OCD. In addition, in the Sharona years, Stottlemeyer and Disher were two funny yet hardworking cops, but now they're just second-rate standup comedians to fill in the time between Monk "doing his thing". I wish they'd just solve Trudy's murder, get Monk back on the force, get Sharona and Benjy to guest star in the finale, and just end it while it does have a couple of bright spots in episodes.

Just for the record, you summed up my thoughts perfectly. I personally feel, when Bitty (Sharona) left the show, instead of just creating a Sharona 2.0 in the form of Natalie, they should've reinvented the show. Put Monk back on the force and show him as an actual police detective. It would've changed the format a bit, but also would've opened new doors and the challenge of a new format would've kept the writers honest and stopped them from hiding behind gimmicks each week (be it the overemphasis on Monk's fears, the guest star of the week gimmick that has been appearing since season five, or how a certain cast member is miraculously tied to the murder). The only supporting cast needed would've been Disher and Stottlemeyer and seeing them as Monk's co-workers instead of two incompetant bafoons who run to him when they can't even solve a basic hit and run accident would've been much better.

apswartz

[52]Dec 7, 2007
    • level: 12
    I think the problem is that Monk is being played over the top. He has become an exaggerated version of himself. It is not too late to turn it around and fix it.

ixmattxi

[53]Dec 7, 2007
    • level: 4
    I'd agree with you (that the show is not beyond fixing) if it were only Monk who has become a spoof of himself. The problem is...ALL of the characters have become spoofs of themselves.

home2839

[54]Dec 8, 2007

I personally think the series has become bland. But I think that it really began when Traylor Howard became pregnant. The previous episodes were trying to develop a relationship much like Monk and Sharona. The cool thing about that relationship wasn't as much as it was romantic as it was a way to show us who Monk is. It just seems that ever since the pregnancy, the episodes became one filler after another and with last night's episode, it still feels like they are doing fillers.

So, having said this, if I'm right, I can see them easily fixing this by going back to the story arc that I think they were trying to do before they were side tracked.

xxBe_Yourselfxx

[55]Dec 23, 2007
    • level: 13
    I wouldnt say its going downhill, but it hasnt been as funny.I love this show, I always try to figure out who did it,evern the most obvious episodes are still fun to watch. I do hope they add more laughs in.

kastaguy

[56]Dec 24, 2007
    • level: 7

I still love monk and totally look forward to it's return next month.

It has been going downhill though. When is he going to get any Trudy leads?

Here's a question; a while back when he took the mood pills and got "cured" and became too laid back - why didn't they just lower his dosage?

chipee

[57]Dec 24, 2007
    • level: 13
    I still like the show, and I don't think it has declined that much. True, the crime/detective aspects are down-played while the character-humor-fish out of water parts are over emphasized, and Monk is made to look too helpless and crazy. But the show was always mainly a comedy. And in early seasons there were a number of clinkers with silly crime/detective aspects -- like The Psychic, Billionaire Mugger and Back to School. Asylum was a good ep., and in it Monk got his own home confused with Trudy's old house.

In the first half of season 5, you had some terrific episodes like The Actor, Gets a New Shrink and Meets His Dad. Then, season 5 ended in great form -- the last 6 episodes had one bad one (Farm) and 5 quite good ones (Makes a Friend, At Your Service, On the Air (Shock Jock ep.), Really Really Dead Guy (FBI ep.) and Goes to the Hospital. All had good guest stars (so what?) and good funny stories. (Parts of Makes a Friend turned me off, but it was clever and different. It grows on you. Very odd episode.)

Now, as for season #6, the Wrong Man was a loser, OK. The Rapper episode was over the top and repugnant the way they glorified these vile gansta rappers, but was unusual and clever at times. Most of season #6 was strong in my opinion. Biggest Fan IMHO was the best "Monk" ep of them all, very funny throughout. Everyone on the message boards gushed over Up All Night. These three eps were good, had plenty to offer: Naked Man, Bad Girlfriend and Daredevil. Lastly, let me say again that these episodes had off the wall plots and clues, but so did the episodes of early seasons -- killed by a magnet, murdering a husband by recreating an old college prank, a body falling from a clock tower hand, that whole stupid Psychic plot, file folders kept in perfect symmetrical order in an office, etc.
    Edited on 12/27/2007 3:59pm
    Edited 3 total times.

Cradle_Of_Fish

[58]Dec 27, 2007
    • level: 1

BruceRM wrote:
    A real fan cares about a show, and doesn't just blindly, unconditionally love it. If you care about something, it means you are aware of the fact that it's not doing so well. Criticizing a show doesn't make you less of a fan than the guy who says "it was the best!" to even the worst episode. I say it makes you more of a fan. Anyone who says the best episode of Seasons 5 or 6 are anywhere close to the best episodes of previous seasons is simply blinded by adoration. Of course, people just coming in to say they hate the show for the sake of saying they hate the show are jerks and don't deserve the slightest regard. But such posts are rare, and nobody should presume all posts critical of a show are in line with such rude, inconsiderate action.

What's wrong with saying episodes of seasons 5 and 6 are on par with the first few seasons? Isn't your point that it is fans opinions? To say someone likes the recent seasons as much as the older seasons is blind adoration, is basically saying their opinions are wrong. I dig all the episodes (Even the rapper episode though I personally hate rap music and couldn't stand the snoop version of the theme song) and haven't yet disliked any episode. There is nothing wrong with folks thinking it's going downhill, every one has an opinion and that has been stated in plenty of these posts here. So the few of us who love the new seasons as much as the old ones are not blindly adoring the show, we genuinally think they are still great. Again I know I am in the minority here as I haven't seen really any posts in this thread NOT disliking the last two seasons. But I think we all should stick together as fans and not try to tell other fans our opinions of the show is better than theirs and what not. Some of my favorite episodes have been from the last two seasons and I have seen every aired episode. So true some fans may possibly be the blind adorers I can't deny that's a possiblity, but not all of us Monkies are like that, some of us really dig the show and have yet to be dissapointed. Also some of us just watch for the entertainment value and could care less about continuity errors or weak plots, so long as it entertains keep all the errors and weak plots you want Monk writers.

KellyKKelly

[59]Dec 28, 2007
    I got Season 4 for Christmas and just watched a couple of episodes. Mr. Monk Stays in Bed had me on the floor laughing. I love the Captain and he and Monk have a great... chemistry or friendship or whatever it is. Sometimes it's brotherly, sometimes best friends. Monk is his usual self absorbed until near the end, but the funniest bit was when he was instructing Stottlemeyer how to dispose of the tissue... small baggie, zip it zip it, then big baggie. Stottlemeyer's frustration was hilarious. Polly wolly doodle indeed. LOL!

emily7921

[60]Dec 30, 2007
    • level: 2
    I think it's just as good. I've seen many, if not all, of the episodes from the old seasons, and I keep track of the newer ones also, and I think they're each just as hilarious and funny, yet at the same time, still a good mystery.