Monk Forums

USA (ended 2009)

DO you think Monk has Jumped the Shark?

DO you think Monks Jumped the Shark?

ChicksHateMe

[1]Aug 27, 2008
    • level: 8

Just wondering what others think.

I didn't really want to post my answer yet, but I have to say, when the show first started, I couldn't miss and episode, and often watched the same show again.

But so much changed when Sharona left. I tried to beleive it would rebound. I watched, but it is not close to the same. The friction's gone. The quirkiness is all but disappeared. It had become a low priority for me. The last year, I watched it if I caught it, and now I am basically wondering if others are saying goodbye to it like I am, or already have.

It would take a lot to overhaul it so that Monk get's to be the ole Monk and to find people forced to work with him even with his weirdness. That's what made the show so unique, and it really does appear to be gone. Even watching him put his hand out now over a crime scene seems like a reluctant action by Shaloub.

I miss Monk and Sharona. Sorry Natalie, but they were big shoes to fill, and they weren't.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

grey0815

[2]Aug 27, 2008
    • level: 14

During the first season I gave Monk a chance now and then, but the show didn't really grow on me. Monk was just too weird, often even silly, and I just didn't enjoy the show. I loved the idea of the quirky genius, but not of the silly and often completely helpless guy.

I forgot all about Monk until I tuned into an episode by chance, some weeks ago. I didn't even know that Sharona wasn't on the show anymore and I have to admit that Natalie doesn't seem to have the same vibe with Monk as Sharone had, but it didn't matter. Monk had grown a lot in the past years and the show is just so much more enjoyable now.

The complete weirdo is no more, the show focuses more on Monk the guy with the brilliant analytical mind, than on Monk, the guy with an immeasurable mount of quirks. It went a bit away from the silly comedy and more to the detective story. Excellent development.

kravitzfan12

[3]Aug 27, 2008
    • level: 34

One thing about every TV show out there is that none of them can always stay the same. That's what makes a show either magical or to have a 'jump the shark' type of moment.

I think Monk has developed into a wonderful show. In the first seasons, the ideas and mysteries were fresh... but that's because they were just starting to create them. Now 7 seasons in, it's pretty hard to come up with amazing storylines just like season 1.

I still love Monk and always will. It is a really cleverly written and brilliantly acted show. It still does it for me!

HarolTheBarrel

[4]Aug 27, 2008
    • level: 1

ChicksHateMe wrote:

Just wondering what others think.

I didn't really want to post my answer yet, but I have to say, when the show first started, I couldn't miss and episode, and often watched the same show again.

But so much changed when Sharona left. I tried to beleive it would rebound. I watched, but it is not close to the same. The friction's gone. The quirkiness is all but disappeared. It had become a low priority for me. The last year, I watched it if I caught it, and now I am basically wondering if others are saying goodbye to it like I am, or already have.

It would take a lot to overhaul it so that Monk get's to be the ole Monk and to find people forced to work with him even with his weirdness. That's what made the show so unique, and it really does appear to be gone. Even watching him put his hand out now over a crime scene seems like a reluctant action by Shaloub.

I miss Monk and Sharona. Sorry Natalie, but they were big shoes to fill, and they weren't.

"Big shoes to fill?" Nah. Bitty was an anchor to the show, I rarely watched.

When Traylor started, the cast chemistry made the show infinitely more watchable. Monk set sail and it continues to be one of the best shows on tv.

heylin_prince

[5]Aug 28, 2008
    • level: 20
    I prefer Natalie over Sharona she actually seems to care for Monk.

chipee

[6]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 13
    I wish I had more time to answer this, but busy now. I've always liked the show and found each season having good and poor episodes.

I liked Sharona better than Natalie, but Nat is OK and getting better. Won't bore you with my analysis.

Episodes that I can watch over and over are the recent Gets A New Shrink, The Actor, and Biggest Fan.

The show has changed. Monk is more of a fish-out-of-water now. The recent episodes seem to highlight different situations and lessons (like Nakedness, Rapper, Cult, etc.).

One big change --my most important comment here-- that I don't like is the larger and more frequent emphasis on his "weirdo ... silly and often completely helpless guy" actions. Monk is made too much into a caricature, a jerk, too much slapstick. These actions go on for too long too. Examples: letting Hal take the gun away from him in Makes A friend, crying like a child in Buried Treasure, freaking out in Underwater ep. Less of that in the early seasons.

Edited on 09/04/2008 1:12pm
    Edited 2 total times.

JavaJunkie4Life

[7]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 25
    Personally, I don't think Monk has "jumped the shark". I just think the show has switched gears a bit. The show has a different feel to it then it did in the early seasons (and not just because of Sharona being there). It was more about Monk's issues with everything, I mean yes, the cases were important but that didn't seem like the number one priority to me. Now though, the show is going in a direction where the individual cases are more important, and less emphasis is put on Monk as a person. (Just my opinion of course.)

I think the show is still excellent and is high quality week in and week out. I still watch every episode and will continue to do so until the series finale. Its brilliant.

Lord__Seth

[8]Sep 7, 2008
    • level: 8

I don't think Monk is any better or worse than it was at the start. I really don't see any noticeable difference in quality from one season to the next.

Except for the theme song. I honestly have trouble listening to the first season one, because the later one is so much better.

Adder_Astros

[9]Sep 9, 2008
    • level: 2

What? Come on. Monk is one of the best shows on television.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure by now it has changed significantly since it first premiered, but all shows d... most for the worse. Remember the moment when Homer Simpson became an idiot? Remember the moment when Al Bundy became a complete and totalloser? Remember the point when Dale on King of the Hill started talking through his nose and whining like a girl? Remember when Battlestar Galactica stopped using the Zoom-Zoom Cam? For whatever reason, eventually someone (probably a corporate focus group) comes along and makes a change here and a change there. Aside from Sharona quitting and Dr. Kroger dying, I hadn't really noticed any changes... except Captain Stotlemyre's attitude towards Monk... which couldn't have stayed quite so pessimistic for very long after the past seven seasons. He really seemed to genuinely dislike monk in season one. That just wouldn't look right after all that monk has done so far.

I see what you're saying. I'm sure the show has lost something along the way. I. personally, just don't see what it was. I will say this. Monk seems to get a little nastier towards his assistants as time goes by. I could stand to see a little less of that. Also, as for Sharona vs Natalie... I like em' both. I guess that's it.

Adder_Astros
    Powerful member of the House of Light
    []xxxxx[];;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;>.