Monk Forums

USA (ended 2009)

Monk theme songs

Which theme song do you prefer?

silvermoon88

[1]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 9
    I prefer its a jungle out there because its like monk.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kravitzfan12

[2]Nov 13, 2008
    • level: 34
    Definitely Jungle. Not that I didn't like the original. If they didn't change it I would still like it, but there is something about that Randy Newman song that makes me love Monk even more.

Junest

[3]Nov 14, 2008
    • level: 10
    It wasn't until watching reruns over the summer that I remembered there had been a different one before Randy Newman's. And although I liked the original one for the first episode as an 'introduction' (it's longer, shows more of Monk's OCD habits) I like Jungle Out There better for the present.

TVvuer69

[4]Nov 28, 2008
    • level: 58
    I prefer the original opening. Just because it didn't have lyrics doesn't mean it wasn't a good theme song. To this day, I'd rather change the channel rather than hear that horrible Randy Newman theme song, although they do have alternate versions of it like the Snoop Dogg version when he guest starred in an episode. I know there are a lot of other people who loved the original theme since fans did make a protest when they changed it. This resulted in the episode "Mr. Monk and the TV Star", which had some inside jokes about it when the gang was visiting a set of a TV show and there were references of how people were PO'd about changing that show's theme song. At the end, they played the original Monk theme, which was a huge delight for me. They do play it on some occasions near the end of a few eps, so it certainly won't be forgotten.

geoellis2

[5]Nov 29, 2008
    • level: 38
    Several of the recent eps have used the original theme at the end. I think it works well like that, especially because the final scene is usually a poignant conclusion with Monk at the table contemplating something or other. Got to love Randy Newman, though.

neokid0298

[6]Nov 29, 2008
    • level: 8
    The current theme fits.

For Monk, the outside world is a jungle.

The opening should be the current and the ending should be the Original Credits.

How much you guys wanna bet they're going to use the original theme in the final episode?

jwgrlrrajn

[7]Nov 30, 2008
    • level: 23
    neokid0298 wrote:
    The current theme fits.

For Monk, the outside world is a jungle.

The opening should be the current and the ending should be the Original Credits.

How much you guys wanna bet they're going to use the original theme in the final episode?

Not a whole lot, although I do agree with you about the end credits. The original theme song just sounds more like happy ending music to me.

kravitzfan12

[8]Dec 2, 2008
    • level: 34
    The thing I like about the Newman theme song is that it sounds good both with the lyrics and just as an instrumental. I usually get instrumental (played while the credits are rolling, on the DVDs, anyway) stuck in my head more than the lyrical version.

There's a part of me that wants to see the opening with the instrumental version of Junglejust to see how it would fit. I know some people complain about Newman's voice, but that doesn't bother me a bit.