Monk Forums

USA (ended 2009)

Monk vs. Psych

garfield2710

[1]Aug 15, 2007
    • level: 25

Tell me which one you like better and why.

Monk. The mysteries to me are easier to understand. Sometimes Psych goes over my head.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dman_dustin

[2]Aug 15, 2007
    • level: 8
    garfield2710 wrote:

Tell me which one you like better and why.

Monk. The mysteries to me are easier to understand. Sometimes Psych goes over my head.

I can't tell which one I like better, I like Shawn going all "psychic" while I also like Monk freaking out because some girl decided to seduce him. They both have their moments, Good and Bad. To me they are both at equal value

alex20020712

[3]Aug 17, 2007
    • level: 7
    Apples v. Oranges

ixmattxi

[4]Aug 17, 2007
    • level: 4

alex20020712 wrote:
    Apples v. Oranges

That is such a cop out. Especially in this debate being as it is NOT apples and oranges. Its not as if the original poster is comparing the 4400 to Monk or The Dead Zone to Psych. They are both comedic detective shows with an untraditional twist on the detective angle (Shawn faking to be a psychic, Monk's OCD). It is a very fair comparrison.

Now which is better? Right now, Psych. No contest. Psych is fresh, new, energetic, andfunny. Ontop of all that, it has a great among of heart.Monk on the other handhas began to recylce plots and treats all the characters like over exaggerated caricatures of their former selves.

Now if you wish to compare Psych to Monk in its prime (Seasons 2 and 3.0)...well, that is a tough call in my eyes. Monk had better mysteries and was a bit smarter, but Psych is consistently funnier and the characters are overall more interesting and likable. The show goes to great labors to develop everyone and make sure everyone has something to do other than be awed at Shawn (unlike Monk). Hmm, yeah, tough call. Ask me in a couple more seasons of Psych when I can figure out what its prime was and give a more retrospective analysis.

And on a final note: Isn't this a bit of a biased place to ask this question? Of course the majority here will say Monk, but you are on the Monk board. Just as if you went on the Psych board, the majority would say Psych. If you really are interested in the topic, find a more neutral source.

Edited on 08/17/2007 8:39pm
    Edited 3 total times.

Kaze_no_Mirai

[5]Aug 17, 2007
    • level: 5
    This season of Psych has been more of a letdown, with only a few memorable moments. At this moment I'm enjoying Monk much more. Although I will admit that its not as good as it once was.

topoopon

[6]Aug 17, 2007
    • level: 19
    ixmattxi wrote:

alex20020712 wrote:
    Apples v. Oranges

That is such a cop out. Especially in this debate being as it is NOT apples and oranges. Its not as if the original poster is comparing the 4400 to Monk or The Dead Zone to Psych. They are both comedic detective shows with an untraditional twist on the detective angle (Shawn faking to be a psychic, Monk's OCD). It is a very fair comparrison.

{...}

And on a final note: Isn't this a bit of a biased place to ask this question? Of course the majority here will say Monk, but you are on the Monk board. Just as if you went on the Psych board, the majority would say Psych. If you really are interested in the topic, find a more neutral source.

I like both shows, but I have to agree, right now "Psych" is definitely the better show. I prefer the straight out comedy of "Psych". Plus they sort of let you play along, unlike "Monk" which often shows you the murder right up front and then show you how he figures it out. Maybe "Monk" is just getting a little old, there can't be too many more seasons left.

Also very enjoyable: "Burn Notice"!

ixmattxi

[7]Aug 18, 2007
    Burn Notice is simply amazing.

alex20020712

[8]Aug 18, 2007
    ixmattxi wrote:
    That is such a cop out. Especially in this debate being as it is NOT apples and oranges.

Psych is a comedy, period. There is no drama.

gidget_sparty

[9]Aug 18, 2007

I like both shows---but hands down-Psych is my favorite!!!! Shawn and Gus--are the funniest duo ...and the show is 100% comedy. Makes me wish I could think of 1/2 those lines Shawn comes up with

I look forward to watching Psych-every Saturday AM (thank good for DVR)....Monk is a when ever I can find time to watch the show.

ixmattxi

[10]Aug 18, 2007

alex20020712 wrote:

Psych is a comedy, period. There is no drama.

Umm, have you watched Psych? There is plenty of drama. Watch any of the scenes with Shawn's father. Watch the scenes between Psych and Jules. Heck, even the conflict between Shawn and Lassiter can be considered "drama".Psych is more subtle about its drama, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Edited on 08/18/2007 8:13pm
    Edited 3 total times.

hsimpson44

[11]Aug 18, 2007
    • level: 26
    alex20020712 wrote:
    Apples v. Oranges

I like apples better. That is if apples are Psych. I really like them both and its deffiently close but I think I like Psych a little more. Mostly because, while its prouble why people like Monk more, I find most of the cases kinda easy to figure out (usually I can get at least most of the case) I love being suprised by the outcome of it with Psych more. Plus you gotta love those 1987 flashbacks with Shawn and Gus as kids.

hsimpson44

[12]Aug 18, 2007
    • level: 26
    ixmattxi wrote:

Yeah so is House. And Prison Break. Scrubs. 24. The Simpsons. King of the Hill. Standoff. Rescue Me. It's Always Sunny. The Riches. Plus alot of other shows, but what does that have to do with Psych/Monk? Sorry if that seemed mean in any way.

alex20020712

[13]Aug 18, 2007
    ixmattxi wrote:
    Umm, have you watched Psych?

How else could I be commenting on it?

ixmattxi wrote:
    There is plenty of drama. Watch any of the scenes with Shawn's father. Watch the scenes between Psych and Jules. Heck, even the conflict between Shawn and Lassiter can be considered "drama".Psych is more subtle about its drama, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

You can find that kind of "drama" on "Friends" or "Seinfield." It does not make Psych a drama series. It is a comedy, trust me.

I know, I know, Monk is considered a comedy for award purposes. That is because there is no category for comedy-drama. House is considered a drama, even though it is funnier than 99.99% of anything else out there. Labels can be confusing, but Psych is a comedy. The point of the show is to make the audience laugh. Can it have "dramatic" moments? Of course, but the show is not meant to be heavy and serious. Not for more than five seconds at a time.

topoopon

[14]Aug 21, 2007
    • level: 19

hsimpson44 wrote:
    ixmattxi wrote:
    Yeah so is House. And Prison Break. Scrubs. 24. The Simpsons. King of the Hill. Standoff. Rescue Me. It's Always Sunny. The Riches. Plus alot of other shows, but what does that have to do with Psych/Monk? Sorry if that seemed mean in any way.

Hmm, because like apples and oranges "Burn Notice" is another type of fruit. Perhaps a peach.

All these shows are on USA network, all are crime stories, all are a mix of humor and drama, all rely on a small ensemble cast, and all 3 are basically formulaic (but in a good way).

There is more similarities btween the 3 shows than any of the ones you chose. "Simpsons" and "King of the Hill" are half hour animation. "Scrubs" and I think "It's Almost Sunny..." (not that familiar) are half hour sitcoms. "24", "The Riches" and "Prison Break" are dramas, and"House" and "Rescue Me" while dramadies are not based in crime solving per se...and none (except "House" repeats are on USA. (btw what's "Standoff"?)

If you find it perfectly okay to compare "Monk" and "Psych", surely you must see the analogy to "Burn Notice" as well.

Sorry if I was mean back.

Dimstar1405

[15]Sep 3, 2007
    • level: 2
    I like both. They both are different and have good mysteries.

iskabibble07

[16]Sep 3, 2007
    • level: 13

Monk's characters are more mature which makes sense. It has been on longer. I started watching Psych because it came on after Monk and I started to like it slowly at first but then more. It is growing on me steadily. Both shows have that appeal of a completely unimportant mystery and very amusing central characters. I am baffled that people complain about the crime being solved when clearly that is just the wrapping to let the characters be funny. Both shows have some episodes where the actual plot is idiotic. But that isn't all that important.

Monk is also stronger because it has a strong female lead in Natalie who is central to the show. There is a nice warm, husband wife kind of thing going on between Monk and Natalie that is fun to watch too. Psych is more just a couple boys out having a fun day. I do like the flashbacks they have been doing on Psyche lately especially when the childhood versions of the lead characters interact with them.

So I am glad both of them are surviving. They are great to have on Friday night as a nice end to a hard work week. To answer the question, I would probably be 60-40 in favor of Monk because I have known it longer. But Psych is very good and will grow into its clothing soon enough.

geoellis2

[17]Sep 3, 2007
    • level: 37
    Monk is related more closely to Columbo in its approach, its plots, and its interaction between the lead character and his villains, with plenty of comedic moments thrown in. Psych is more related to Peter Sellers' The Pink Panther movies, with a bit of mystery thrown in. Which isn't to say I don't enjoy it, but it's hardly a detective series.

foxmccloud13

[18]Sep 3, 2007
    • level: 13
    Ive watched Monk since the beginning, and Ive only seen 2 episodes of Psych. So Monk is better in my opinion.

Gordan_Freeman

[19]Sep 5, 2007
    • level: 3
    hmm... thats a hard one i think Psych seince its a newer show can do more things with it but monk is funnier than psych and all though the newer episodes are not as good as the old episodes i like Monk better

SweetMissJaye

[20]Sep 8, 2007
    • level: 21
    I have to say Psych has the upper hand. Psych is funny and I enjoy the mysteries mixed with the incredible silliness. I laugh so much when I watch this show. I have watched both Monk and Psych since day one and I still enjoy Monk, but I don't think it's as good as it once was. I really feel that if Monk had the same quality as it had in the beginning, I'd be giving it the edge over Psych right now. But I feel like Monk is declining, thought it's still great. I LOVE Psych. I love the characters, the stories, everything...even the outtakes.