Monk Forums

USA (ended 2009)

OCD Do you know anyone who has it?

ultimate-tv-fan

[1]Aug 30, 2008
    • level: 5

I have OCD and watching Monk really helped me, at least knowing that i'm not the only one. Sometimes makes me laugh and others cry. But I'm on therapy and I think its helping me. It's something called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and I wonder why Monk hasn´t tryed it yet. I'm also taking medication which I hope it's going to help me.

Well, this is the point of view of someone (me) who suffers OCD. I'd like to hear your comments on the topic and if you know anyone who has it.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

historylover20

[2]Sep 1, 2008
    • level: 28

I think most people have a mild form of OCD. A very mild form. I know I have it.

I'm obsessed with counting stairs. The pens I use at work must be kept in a neat line. But, I've never had to have therapy for it. I think this kind of OCD that I have is incredibly common.

It sounds like the kind that you have isn't very common. I wish you the best of luck in controling your OCD.

Kat

hapat

[3]Sep 2, 2008
    • level: 14
    haha yeah I have a mild case as well. I like to make sure everything is in it's place, keep my desk clean, if something isn't straight I'll straighten it, etc. I don't have to do it right away or anything, just if I see something needs to be straightened or out of place, I take 5 seconds out and do it. Dislike germs very much too..haha...use my sleeve to open doors and try to shake hands as less as possible, wash my hands as soon as I can after words too..haha

JengoFett6

[4]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 8
    Yes, me! Just recently, I was at a restaurant, and in front of me there were 6 glasses placed in two rows of three. One of the glasses was about half an inch out of line with the other two in its row. I tried to ignore it throughout my meal, I really tried, but in the end I just HAD to put it back so it was aligned. I always have to check that the correct disc is in the case multiple times before returning a movie/game to a rental store, and I need to wash my hands so many times, they become very dry..... Yes, I have issues

garfield2710

[5]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 25
    I don't have much OCD in me, but my cousin does. She can't stand to have the spine of a book cracked, she has to everything in the right order, she won't let me touch anything, and I haven't seen her room messy in 6 years.

E_Queen

[6]Sep 6, 2008
    • level: 10
    omg my nickname is Monk...lmao I thought I was the only one.

ultimate-tv-fan

[7]Sep 6, 2008

Thanks for the comments, it's nice to know that I'm not alone! I thought you were going to make fun of me, but you're so kind to share all that.

Yes my kind it's more difficult and hard because it keeps me from doing the normal things(I had to drop out of college because I didn't had enough time to study), I barely have any friends if I have any!!. I spend 2 hours in the bathroom,and it takes me 1 hour to get dress, I also wash my hands a lot (in winter they dry so much that sometimes they bleed). But the worst part it's that I like everything tidy and when someone touches it I go mad and takes me 1 hour to rearrenge it. My closet looks like Monk's, all my clothes are perfectly symmetrical and ordered by colours. I always check if I closed the door before going outside and sometimes I have to go back to check again, so I always arrive late.

It's like a spell but I'm fully aware of what I'm doing. But this therapy tries to change my behaviour slowly, but it's hard when you've done it all your life.

Well thank you again for the comments!! and I'd like you to keep sharing all this because I think it's kind of a group therapy where no one will make fun of you. Believe me I'm one of the worst cases.

THANK YOU AND GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU !!!!!!! I'll keep coming back and check....

ultimate-tv-fan

[8]Sep 6, 2008

I love Monk it's adorable I think thats the reason why the writters don't want him to change but I thought that would be funny to see him going through all that treatment. I have my own Dr. Kroger that gives me my meds.

I really cryed when he goes back to college just to realise that everyone make fun of him, calling him "captain cool" and no one even remembered him, they only remembered Trudy. Well, practically everyone makes fun of him!! I've been target of jokes too, just awfull. Highschool was very hard for me(was pretty much like hell) I'm glad it's over.

stuksbluegrass

[9]Sep 6, 2008
    • level: 3
    ultimate-tv-fan wrote:

I have OCD and watching Monk really helped me, at least knowing that i'm not the only one. Sometimes makes me laugh and others cry. But I'm on therapy and I think its helping me. It's something called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and I wonder why Monk hasn´t tryed it yet. I'm also taking medication which I hope it's going to help me.

Well, this is the point of view of someone (me) who suffers OCD. I'd like to hear your comments on the topic and if you know anyone who has it.

My mother has OCD. She only allowed us to walk in the house in our socks so we wouldn't scratch the floors. All the furniture in the house was covered in clear plastic so it wouldn't be used. The only area of the house we 4 children were allowed to play in was an unfinished basement. We were never allowed to bring friends over because children are dirty and leave fingerprints on everything. We had to speak only in whispers in the house because the neighbors were listening and judging us. My mother tried to control every aspect of her children's lives so we all moved a thousand miles away to release her controlling behavior. When we come back for thanksgiving with our children to visit grandma, she won't cook a turkey in her oven because it's brand new (4 years old) and makes the whole family go to a restaurant on Thanksgiving so the grandchildren don't touch anything. The perfect image is the only thing that mattered to her and now she is alone in her house because she pushes everyone away. When i go on the USA monk chat board there is an old lady that tries to control everything that everyone says about the Monk episodes and is driving everyone off the board.She is controlling just like my mother. She constantly complains about the smallest details and no one wants to be rude and tell her she is the problem and the one being negative every day.She and her granddaughter think they are in charge and think we adults should play mind numbing word association games like dog (answer) cat! and if anyone thinks there's a blooper or a mistake on the show she's paronoid Lee goldberg is going to read the post just like my mother was with the next door neighbors. OCD fans controlling a chat board about a tv show obout an OCD detective is like a scene from the movie Misery where no one can say anything about her favorite character, Misery.

ultimate-tv-fan

[10]Sep 13, 2008

Well, first of all I'm not controling anything! I just wanted to know of other cases of OCD, and looks like you're really angry with your mother, I can't blame you she's ready for a straitjacket but what I don't like is that your think every OC is the same. In my case I've never forced anyone in my family to live by my rules or give them any problems (except using the bathroom too much). And If I had a son/daughter I would never let my OCD interfere, or make them suffer because of me.

Your just looking at it from your perspective but you don't know what it's like to live with this. It's a nightmare, so go with your catarsis somewhere else!!!!

By the way this is an off topic thread about Monk, just to create awareness concerning OCD not to express your anger, besides everyone has issues, it would be strange if you didn't. I think that's all and don't take it personal.

olivia20929

[11]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 1
    Anyways, getting back to the topic on how everyone has their little quirks, I definately know one of mine! You know on the airplane, when the tray tables have a little clip that you make it stay up with? Well, I can't even look at any of the others, because it drives me insane if I see them not quite in the center. I've had to reach across random strangers to fix it before, which is pretty embarassing! But I'm glad that you're getting help with your OCD! That would make an interesting episode if Monk did that too.

stuksbluegrass

[12]Sep 15, 2008
    • level: 3
    I did not wish to offend you. i don't even know you. I am just answering your post about does any one know anyone that suffers from O.C.D. I have taken the time to tell my story about living with someone that has been diagnosed with this illness. One of the problems with all the Monk message boards or forums is that the show Monk attracts alot of Monk like characters to the show and they tend to attempt to control what their fellow adult posters think and post about the show. Check out the USA NETWORK MONK Community page and watch how they tear each other to pieces over perceived slights. Someone should do a study on that board alone. As I write this the old lady is taking it upon herself to police the board against anyone that says anything not glowing about the latest episodes of Monk compared to other seasons. She has teamed up with an un-employed bi-polar woman who is ranting about too many sexual topics that children can see on the Monk threads and I can't find what she's talking about! She must be in one of her bi-polar mood swings. Anyways, it is good that you are doing so good but like any disease it doesn't just affect the person that has it, it usually effects everyone around them.

bugsy29

[13]Sep 16, 2008
    • level: 15

Hey no one's alone!

I have a friend who has a worse case of OCD than Monk.

madsen69

[14]Sep 16, 2008
    I don't know if it's OCD, but when I ride in a car I look at the dividers in the middle of the lane. When the divider hits the front of the car, I lift my toes up until I can't see the marker anymore. And who else started talking with their hands?

neokid0298

[15]Sep 21, 2008
    • level: 8
    I have suspected OCD. Most of my maternal family has slight suspected OCD.

I don't like my hands to be dirty. I like things to be even and to stay in the same place. I bite my fingernails out of nervous habit and then I have to count them every couple of minutes (since I leave them on the finger, partially bit off) to make sure they are the same. The more nervous/anxious I am, the more often I count.

Although it could just be a part of the suspected dyspraxia (which could be accompanied by aspergers.)

ultimate-tv-fan

[16]Sep 23, 2008

stuksbluegrass wrote:
    I did not wish to offend you. i don't even know you. I am just answering your post about does any one know anyone that suffers from O.C.D. I have taken the time to tell my story about living with someone that has been diagnosed with this illness. One of the problems with all the Monk message boards or forums is that the show Monk attracts alot of Monk like characters to the show and they tend to attempt to control what their fellow adult posters think and post about the show. Check out the USA NETWORK MONK Community page and watch how they tear each other to pieces over perceived slights. Someone should do a study on that board alone. As I write this the old lady is taking it upon herself to police the board against anyone that says anything not glowing about the latest episodes of Monk compared to other seasons. She has teamed up with an un-employed bi-polar woman who is ranting about too many sexual topics that children can see on the Monk threads and I can't find what she's talking about! She must be in one of her bi-polar mood swings. Anyways, it is good that you are doing so good but like any disease it doesn't just affect the person that has it, it usually effects everyone around them.

Yeah I wanted to apologize for that, I was very rude. And I really appreciate you took the time to share your mother's O.C.D. I guess I felt pretty bad when you said that she's alone and deep down I feel that I could end up like that (lonely and bitter) that's why I took it so personal. Because I really want to change. I don't want to be that kind of person anymore. I think we all deserve to be happy, don't you think?. And also because I felt somewhat responsible for what she put you trough. Thanks for the warning, looks like The USA NETWORK MONK Community page is some kind of war between crazy people which doesn't do any good.

I also wanted to thank all the other posters for the answers!!!!!

By the way, I have some rather good news!!! I'd like to recommend this self-help book: Stop Obsessing! How to Overcome Your Obsessions and Compulsions written by Edna B. Foa and Reid Wilson Foreword by David H. Barlow which my psychologist gave me to read. My mother read it too. It's very good and brings:

- Step-by-step programs for both mild and severe cases of OCD

- The most effective ways to help you let go of your obsessions and gain control over your compulsions

- New charts and fill-in guides to track progress and make exercises easier

- Questionnaires for self-evaluation and in-depth understanding of your symptoms

- Expert guidance for finding the best professional help

- The latest information about medications prescribed for OCD.

So I thought it might help (If you or someone you love suffers from some form of obsessive-compulsive disorder, or OCD). I guess it could be a nice gift, or you could buy it if you cann't afford paying a Psychologyst/Psychiatryst. Better yet, you could read it online here: http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl/9780553381177.html (click on the cover of the book to read for free!)

Well, that's all. I would be more than happy to know if someone found this helpfull (because even if I help at least one person it will make all worth it) , then let me know. After that we could talk about which type of obsessive-compulsive are you

hapat

[17]Oct 2, 2008
    • level: 14
    Yeah mine is never that bad that I effect others either. I just try to avoid having people over to my place and go out or to their place. Unless a place is really nasty I couldn't care less, it's just my place I like to keep neat and organized and most of all as germ free as possible. If people do come over I wait until they leave and then lysol whatever they touched..lol...especially the toilet seat, do that a good 5 times. Never ever use a public bathroom either, just nasty. But then I appreciate my ocd at times as well, because hey I haven't had more than a head ache here and there for over 5 years, so I must be doing something right germ wise. Plus I never forget to lock up or turn something off or forget my keys, etc. So that's always a good thing. So it isn't all bad. Plus I don't let germs control me. I'm always concsious of them though, but with cats, dogs and sex germs take a back seat..lol...kids also, but if I see that their sick or something I'll go wash my hands right after playing with them..lol...so yeah for me it's mostly germs that I tend to go overboard on. But oh well.

sheep233

[18]Oct 7, 2008
    • level: 22

Yeah, i have some OCD in me. I have the same thing as Monk with touching the phone poles except i have the problem of touching walls when I walk through my house.

ultimate-tv-fan

[19]Oct 9, 2008

Wanna know something weird? I collect the stickers that come with the fruit. I even have an album that is on the fridge!! So whenever I go to the supermarket I go straight to the fruit/vegetables section and look for stickers to steal hahah My mother laughs at me saying that if they catch me I will go to prison imagine that for a minute hahhahh

But I never realised that collecting was also part of the OCD. After reading the book I noticed that is true. I had a teacher in highschool that was like the female version of Monk, always talking about germs and virus, HIV, etc; and she loved collecting coins, she told us to search coins for her hahah

Some of my classmates used to pretend they were sick (cough, sneezing,etc) and she cancelled the oral exam, they took advantage of her after discovering her Aquiles heel. Now that I think about it they were all jerks ....I feel sorry for her.

musselman23423

[20]Feb 10, 2009
    obession is the thought and compulsion is the action. however there's more kinds of ocd then just doing ocd actions such as making things neat, clean and orderly like monk. you can also be ocd about innapropiate thoughts that scare you. people without ocd usually don't think twice about these thoughts (everyone has them) but a person with ocd will obess over and over and over about why they would think such things and feel etremely terrified. with this that person would find a neutrilizer to make them feel better, such as telling a parent thier wierd thoughts. afterwards its like a weight has been lifted off of their shoulders. i had this for a little while, it was not fun...