Monk Forums

USA (ended 2009)

Official Discussion - Mr. Monk Gets Lotto Fever

  • Avatar of kravitzfan12

    kravitzfan12

    [1]Aug 2, 2008
    • member since: 03/06/07
    • level: 34
    • rank: Wardrobe Malfunction
    • posts: 1,256
    Please direct all conversation about Mr Monk Gets Lotto Fever (7.3) to this thread. Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sheep233

    sheep233

    [2]Aug 2, 2008
    • member since: 11/25/07
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 842

    It's sad, it seems to me, that the season 7 episodes are getting worse by the episode.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of chipee

    chipee

    [3]Aug 2, 2008
    • member since: 12/02/06
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 61
    Excellent episode, one of the best.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of deanropi

    deanropi

    [4]Aug 2, 2008
    • member since: 11/20/07
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 67

    Am I the only one who hates how dumb Randy has become. Its not funny any more.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Chingtothay

    Chingtothay

    [5]Aug 3, 2008
    • member since: 06/25/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 62
    deanropi wrote:

    Am I the only one who hates how dumb Randy has become. Its not funny any more.

    Yes you are. Yes it is.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sundance_kid_85

    sundance_kid_85

    [6]Aug 3, 2008
    • member since: 07/27/08
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 5

    used to love this show, lately i'm hardly satisfied with it. let's face it: breckman knew what he was talking about when he declared this might just be the last seson of monk ! and it's not about production costs...

    - the not-that-cleaver-anymore and not even the least bit imaginative mysteries

    - the more and more faulty logics (the one with the genius gets a special dud from me - switching the funeral stones, yeah, you know how easy that is ? ) )

    - the cartoonish becoming characters: first of all monk himself (a parody of what he used to be, now almost devoided of soul and emotion), then randy (the clown), natalie (the 'assistant', cpt. stottlemeyer (the impulsive typical policeman so much tolerant to monk)

    frankly, i wonder how the actors aren't getting bored and settle for such unprovocativeparts. it's probably the paycheck...

    sorry, folks, but the truth is - the show is going downhill and you know it...

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sundance_kid_85

    sundance_kid_85

    [7]Aug 3, 2008
    • member since: 07/27/08
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 5

    oh, sorry- about 'mr monk gets lotto fever' - this is the first good episode of season 7. it was better than 'buys a house' and 'the genius'. the first cleaver plot, really didn't see where it was going. but don't you think it's bit deja vu ?

    - natalie becoming arrogant, blinded by fame - like monk himself in 'paints his masterpiece'

    - the tv show with dark behind-the-stages - like 'mr. monk and the tv show'

    - quiting natalie like 'the black cobra' ?

    The thing is - i accept it's so hard to innovate in the 7th season, with 90 episodes behind, but the moment you realise that, that's basically the moment you should stop. nothing good can come up.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of E_Queen

    E_Queen

    [9]Aug 3, 2008
    • member since: 06/18/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 336
    Well I think that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That being said, I thought the ep was ok. I will admit I knew who did it, but wasn't sure how. And as far as Randy I personally did not think he was funny at all, actually he is getting annoying...but I still love the show, because Randy doesn't make the show. Nat being arrogant wasn't becoming of her to me, but it worked with the ep, and I am glad she got to have her moment in the spotlight. Anyway, again thats IMO.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BTRAV

    BTRAV

    [10]Aug 3, 2008
    • member since: 06/20/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 8,200
    I wonder why Gislef isn't posting these threads anymore... Anyway I thought this episode was the funniest of this season so far.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kravitzfan12

    kravitzfan12

    [11]Aug 3, 2008
    • member since: 03/06/07
    • level: 34
    • rank: Wardrobe Malfunction
    • posts: 1,256

    Gislef predominantly posts season premieres and finales.

    I wouldn't have started an official discussion thread if he was going to first, but I gave it a day after the episode aired and figured people needed a place to talk.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of E_Queen

    E_Queen

    [12]Aug 3, 2008
    • member since: 06/18/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 336

    I always need somewhere to talk, lol...Thanks!

    Edited on 08/03/2008 8:50am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DrAvatar

    DrAvatar

    [13]Aug 3, 2008
    • member since: 12/02/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 4,663

    It was obvious who the culprit was as soon as the director mentioned he had been acting strangely all summer. Kind of ruined the mystery aspect of the episode.

    I wasn't too impressed with Natalie when told Monk she was involved in fraud and could go to jail. She didn't seem genuinely upset at all.

    It was still funny but this episode seemed like it was made purely for comedic purposes.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sundance_kid_85

    sundance_kid_85

    [14]Aug 3, 2008
    • member since: 07/27/08
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 5
    hotsauce_8_24 wrote:

    First of all, you shouldn't be complaining about the plots being CLEVER if you can't even spell the word. No, it wasn't a typo because you did it twice.

    Also, if you're going to "quote" episode titles, you should make sure they actually exist. I've never seen "Black Cobra" or "TV Show". Truth is, if the season 7 episodes were in an earlier season and your "favourite episodes" were in season 7, you wouldn't be saying that the show is getting better, you would still be complaining that the show is going downhill. There's always the few like you that have to try and be special and complain about stuff regardless of whether or not it has actually gone downhill. I don't think it has, and it never will because until they solve Trudy's murder it will always have the true fan's attention.

    OMG, that's horrible, i misspelled 'clever'. well, tough for me not being an american.

    things i've noticed on more than 1 forum - when people don't really know how to counter-argument, they start mumbling about spelling and other insignificant things (dear lord, 'mr monk vs the cobra' instead of 'mr monk and the black cobra'...).

    so question: are your neurons brave enough to counter-argument what i said - prove that 'monk' IS, in fact, good ? or are you just gonna be plain insulting and make cynical assumptions - "There's always the few like you that have to try and be special and complain about stuff regardless of whether or not it has actually gone downhill."

    waiting for your answer and thank you for the vigilant spell check.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of hotsauce_8_24

    hotsauce_8_24

    [15]Aug 3, 2008
    • member since: 08/23/06
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 213
    sundance_kid_85 wrote:
    hotsauce_8_24 wrote:

    First of all, you shouldn't be complaining about the plots being CLEVER if you can't even spell the word. No, it wasn't a typo because you did it twice.

    Also, if you're going to "quote" episode titles, you should make sure they actually exist. I've never seen "Black Cobra" or "TV Show". Truth is, if the season 7 episodes were in an earlier season and your "favourite episodes" were in season 7, you wouldn't be saying that the show is getting better, you would still be complaining that the show is going downhill. There's always the few like you that have to try and be special and complain about stuff regardless of whether or not it has actually gone downhill. I don't think it has, and it never will because until they solve Trudy's murder it will always have the true fan's attention.

    OMG, that's horrible, i misspelled 'clever'. well, tough for me not being an american.

    things i've noticed on more than 1 forum - when people don't really know how to counter-argument, they start mumbling about spelling and other insignificant things (dear lord, 'mr monk vs the cobra' instead of 'mr monk and the black cobra'...).

    so question: are your neurons brave enough to counter-argument what i said - prove that 'monk' IS, in fact, good ? or are you just gonna be plain insulting and make cynical assumptions - "There's always the few like you that have to try and be special and complain about stuff regardless of whether or not it has actually gone downhill."

    waiting for your answer and thank you for the vigilant spell check.



    Okay, first the picky stuff: Not being able to spell a word has nothing to do with being an American. I've never been to America, but since I speak the English language I tend not to have trouble with basic words, particularly when I am in the process of whinging about someone else not being "clever". Yeah I wouldn't say they are insignificant things about the episode titles. Pretty simple, if you don't know their name then don't quote them. Instead of trying to look the expert by using quotation marks, just say the one about the cobra.

    You're not the only one who has noticed certain things on this forum. Firstly to prove yours correct, you know that all you did in your response was complain about the things I said? That sounds similar to me pointing out your spelling mistakes etc. So you're right, when people have no idea they do tend to resort to that stuff, its just intelligent people offer something else after they have addressed the other person. Now something I have noticed is that when people get into an "argument" they tend to use words and phrases that they wouldn't normally use in an attempt to make themselves sound like they didn't drop out of high school. 'are your neurons brave enough to counter-argument what i said' - Were any animals harmed in the making of that sentence? You went all out on that one dude.

    Now for the actual Monk stuff. The proof that it is still good is that I still watch and enjoy it, as do countless others. You are the one making the claim that it has gone downhill so if there was an actual way to prove that the quality has dropped, it would be on you to find that and show us naive viewers that we are watching crap. Wow, I've just responded to all of your Monk related things in your post in about 5 lines. Don't start saying that it's just your opinion either, you presented it as fact that Monk has gone downhill by saying that we know it, and you seemed keen to get me to prove it was still good, so just humour me, or shut me up by proving that the quality has dropped.

    Okay so if you do respond - I'm kinda hoping you don't because you seem kinda pointless, but I guess if you do it's good comic relief - Try to keep the post a bit more on the show and less on complaining about correcting your embarrassing mistakes. Really, misspelling 'clever' in a little rant about the show not being clever anymore? Your face must have been red.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kravitzfan12

    kravitzfan12

    [16]Aug 3, 2008
    • member since: 03/06/07
    • level: 34
    • rank: Wardrobe Malfunction
    • posts: 1,256

    Let me say this:

    Has Monk gone downhill? Yes.

    But it has gone downhill compared to ITS OWN STANDARDS!

    Monk isn't like a traditional sitcom, which is very easy to keep consistantly good or bad or mediocre (sp?). They are about to hit 100 mysteries. That is 100 different crimes that they had to think up.

    So, yes, Monk isn't as good as it was in Season 1, but what do you expect? No show is as good in its first year than in its last. The last years may be better than its first years and vice versa.

    The fact of the matter is that I still love to watch Monk. I still think the mysteries are very solid. I mean, I can't figure out any of them. Whether I'm just really stupid, people are really smart, or people say they figured the mystery out when they didn't just to look good, I don't know. But regardless, it is still a great and quality show. It will always be one of the best mystery shows of the 21st century.

    What I've attempted to say is that Monk set the bar so high in its first 2 seasons that is isn't physically possible to have the quality in its 7th year. If Monk wasn't as smart in the early seasons, we would be saying that these episodes from season 7 are brilliant and that it is just as good as it was in season 1. But we can't because season 1 was beyond brilliant and season 7 is just smart. It is still a smart, entertaining and all-around great show anyway you cut it.

    Let's leave this arguement at that, shall we!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Evolution_666

    Evolution_666

    [17]Aug 4, 2008
    • member since: 07/02/08
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 680

    I enjoyed this episode I thought it was good.

    Edited on 08/04/2008 12:31am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sundance_kid_85

    sundance_kid_85

    [18]Aug 4, 2008
    • member since: 07/27/08
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 5
    hotsauce_8_24 wrote:
    sundance_kid_85 wrote:
    hotsauce_8_24 wrote:

    First of all, you shouldn't be complaining about the plots being CLEVER if you can't even spell the word. No, it wasn't a typo because you did it twice.

    Also, if you're going to "quote" episode titles, you should make sure they actually exist. I've never seen "Black Cobra" or "TV Show". Truth is, if the season 7 episodes were in an earlier season and your "favourite episodes" were in season 7, you wouldn't be saying that the show is getting better, you would still be complaining that the show is going downhill. There's always the few like you that have to try and be special and complain about stuff regardless of whether or not it has actually gone downhill. I don't think it has, and it never will because until they solve Trudy's murder it will always have the true fan's attention.

    OMG, that's horrible, i misspelled 'clever'. well, tough for me not being an american.

    things i've noticed on more than 1 forum - when people don't really know how to counter-argument, they start mumbling about spelling and other insignificant things (dear lord, 'mr monk vs the cobra' instead of 'mr monk and the black cobra'...).

    so question: are your neurons brave enough to counter-argument what i said - prove that 'monk' IS, in fact, good ? or are you just gonna be plain insulting and make cynical assumptions - "There's always the few like you that have to try and be special and complain about stuff regardless of whether or not it has actually gone downhill."

    waiting for your answer and thank you for the vigilant spell check.

    Okay, first the picky stuff: Not being able to spell a word has nothing to do with being an American. I've never been to America, but since I speak the English language I tend not to have trouble with basic words, particularly when I am in the process of whinging about someone else not being "clever". Yeah I wouldn't say they are insignificant things about the episode titles. Pretty simple, if you don't know their name then don't quote them. Instead of trying to look the expert by using quotation marks, just say the one about the cobra. You're not the only one who has noticed certain things on this forum. Firstly to prove yours correct, you know that all you did in your response was complain about the things I said? That sounds similar to me pointing out your spelling mistakes etc. So you're right, when people have no idea they do tend to resort to that stuff, its just intelligent people offer something else after they have addressed the other person. Now something I have noticed is that when people get into an "argument" they tend to use words and phrases that they wouldn't normally use in an attempt to make themselves sound like they didn't drop out of high school. 'are your neurons brave enough to counter-argument what i said' - Were any animals harmed in the making of that sentence? You went all out on that one dude. Now for the actual Monk stuff. The proof that it is still good is that I still watch and enjoy it, as do countless others. You are the one making the claim that it has gone downhill so if there was an actual way to prove that the quality has dropped, it would be on you to find that and show us naive viewers that we are watching crap. Wow, I've just responded to all of your Monk related things in your post in about 5 lines. Don't start saying that it's just your opinion either, you presented it as fact that Monk has gone downhill by saying that we know it, and you seemed keen to get me to prove it was still good, so just humour me, or shut me up by proving that the quality has dropped. Okay so if you do respond - I'm kinda hoping you don't because you seem kinda pointless, but I guess if you do it's good comic relief - Try to keep the post a bit more on the show and less on complaining about correcting your embarrassing mistakes. Really, misspelling 'clever' in a little rant about the show not being clever anymore? Your face must have been red.

    man, you're so bad you make bad sound good. no you're annoying me, because you're head is stuck deep in your a$$ and don't even read what i posted. you'll find plenty of arguments in MY first post, while YOU decided to ignore it and start mumbling about spelling mistakes:

    1. plot lines: repetitive, not that interesting anymore. look at the plot of 'mr monk gets lotto fever': does it look similar to (aham) 'mr monk and the game show' ? the games are made up, someone in the back stages are cheating so that someone wins 'the big prize', another one gets killed (only in this case, it's the host), in the first one monk solves the mystery by going on stage, this time natalie goes on stage. and what worries me is the list of upcoming episodes. there's 'mr monk gets hypnotized' or something which sounds pretty much like 'mr monk takes his medicine'.

    2. logics: they used to make more sense. look at 'mr monk and the genius' - the logics it's so poor that it's a bit laughable, with the great chess player who just moves two funeral stones in the middle of the night. easy job right ? michael myers did it, so he can do it, probably... and this is just one thing - think about the wife who just stays at home while she is being threatened by her husband. does that make sense ? even if someone tells you he knows your every move,then you should stop thinking of anything and lay down and die ? does that make any shread of sense to you ? i mean, sure, there's no monk mystery that was 100% realistic, but they weren't inept either.

    3. characters - monk is just treated as a clown, and less as a troubled, real individual. he becomes the fall guy, the man we just need to laugh at and that's it. no complexity here. that's because laughing is easy, while giving a character depth is hard.

    so, if you still want to tickle your brain, i've given you plenty of directions to counter-argument. the fact that YOU still watch it and other people watch it is not a barometre for the quality of the show. was 'bad boys 2' any good ? it grossed about 150 mil$ in the US. so, save your jelly fish thoughts and give me something real here.

    and second of all, i agree with kravitzfan 12: the show goes down hill compared to its own standards ! this means it's still funny and enjoyable. what i was trying to explain is WHY it was going downhill (compared to the monk average so far) . i'm still watching it, am i ? but if it goes on like this, i might not be for long...

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Melzias

    Melzias

    [19]Aug 4, 2008
    • member since: 02/11/03
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 81
    This was the best episode of the season so far. Hopefully it only gets better from here.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of AnimeleePM

    AnimeleePM

    [20]Aug 4, 2008
    • member since: 10/17/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 108

    Very nice episode. Very nice. I can tell that the cast loves their roles, they fit them so nicely. Also, I never saw a decline in quality, I'm fairly new to Monk, I only started watching in June, however I watched them one after another, so I would be the one to judge the episodes, since I remember them so well.

    It'll be terrible if this is the last season.

    Edited on 08/04/2008 7:38pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.