Monk Forums

USA (ended 2009)

Official Discussion Thread: Mr. Monk and the End (1) (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Nov 27, 2009
    • level: 100
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 11/27/09 episode "Mr. Monk and the End (1)" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    Edited on 11/27/2009 7:41am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

facebookfan

[2]Nov 27, 2009
    • level: 7
    oh my, you're level 81? congrats .

anyway, other than solving Trudy's murder, I hope they bring Dale the Whale back because if I remember correctly he hired the man who killed her or something so he would be important in the case. And maybe one of the characters gets killed or held for ransom by the doer?

syrusfan

[3]Nov 27, 2009
    • level: 38

These three letters sum up my opinion of the episode.

O.M.G

kravitzfan12

[4]Nov 27, 2009
    • level: 34
    The episode was truly amazing! So far, they've gotten everything right.

I was hoping that the writers wouldn't abandon the Christmas gift, and it was apparent from the very beginning of the episode that they didn't, which made we really excited.

Overall, they found a really nice balance of drama and comedy especially in handling Monk's impending death.

Just want to warn any readers of Entertainment Weekly, there is an article in their newest issue covering the Monk finale and they give away A HUGE SPOILER so if you don't want to know anything more about the finale before watching it, please don't read the magazine until after the final episode airs!

DresserBoys

[6]Nov 27, 2009
    • level: 18

damn it, i think this was the first spisode that really had me on the edge of my seat waiting for what happens next.

Randy in te control room ws hilarous, Stottlemeyer's chasing the guy through the station was awesome, Trudy's gift... and then it ends.

mattgus

[7]Nov 27, 2009
    • level: 14
    i thought there would be alot more people talking about how good this is...i love the laptop amd the train...monk dies so funny it is hard to take seriously,he is not going down...i recorded this and the guy on the phone is not recognizable...i thought about the wipes in the docs office and i kept saying as i'm sure everyone has been the only missing clue was the x-mas present...it loooks like he is aiming at a sheriff in the preview for next week,but again impossible to know...i was hoping it was someone or thing we could put together,but i guess that would not be in the tradition of monk always solving the crime...why did they introduce craig t nelson a fairly well known actor in a 3 line part if he does not have something to do with the death. it just does not look like him on the phone???? well this time next week we will know...i have enjoyed this strange little gem for the whole time it has been on and will miss it...i know i am not alone...

chelanza

[8]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 7
    I reaaaally wish I wasn't such a big fan. When I'm a fan of a show I remember even the tiniest detail and when the finale says something different from what was mentioned in the show, it gets confusing. What I'm talking about is the episode "Mr. Monk and the Employee of the Month" Where that disgraced detective tells Sharona that Monk was at the police station with everybody, laughing when he got the call about Trudy... here it's in a completely different setting, and Stottlemyer gets the call.

fullhans1

[9]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 4
    Great episode. I hope Part 2 will be as good as this one.

tjoceasde

[10]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 18

My theory is that Craig T. Nelson (aka "The Judge" from Mr. Monk is on the run) killed Trudy and that midwife 12 years ago (somehow the two are connected). And when the doctor at the clinic was scanning the old paperwork into the computer, he figured it out and tried to blackmail the Judge.

My supporting evidence, other than the fact Craig T. Nelson is playing a judge, is that one of the biggest rules of television is that if a murder is committed in the same episode as a high profile guest star, they did it (see Robin Williams on SVU and Roger Daltry on CSI).

pinkishjoy

[11]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 6
    i think what we are really expecting to see next week isn't just the identity of the person responsible of Trudy's death, but more importantly, is how will Monk deal with finally solving the case and having closure. Damn I can't wait another week!! Man this is killing me!

friendfan13

[12]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 8
    steveinsider wrote:
    the poison are in the wipes

Thats what i think!!!!

jwgrlrrajn

[13]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 23
    chelanza wrote:
    I reaaaally wish I wasn't such a big fan. When I'm a fan of a show I remember even the tiniest detail and when the finale says something different from what was mentioned in the show, it gets confusing. What I'm talking about is the episode "Mr. Monk and the Employee of the Month" Where that disgraced detective tells Sharona that Monk was at the police station with everybody, laughing when he got the call about Trudy... here it's in a completely different setting, and Stottlemyer gets the call.

I noticed that too, and I also noticed that Trudy said that she was involved with something years before she and Monk had met. Umm, they met in college, how many years ago could it have been?

Other than that, I think it's been done pretty well so far. Looking forward to next week's episode.

noname_1

[14]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 4
    A lot of people have speculated that Trudy was raped or got pregnant somehow at a young age, which would tie in to the fact that the "something terrible" mentioned on the tape happened to her before she and Monk met (in college, as established in "Mr. Monk and the Class Reunion"), as well as the inclusion of the birthing center. If, in fact, the judge introduced to us in part one is the killer, it would seem very plausible that he could be the father. The killing of the midwife at the birthing center took place possibly due to Trudy trying to find out what happened to the child. Perhaps she confronted the judge about it, who threatened to kill her and anyone who knew anything (which would include the midwife). Of course, the doctor was killed when he was scanning records, which would almost certainly have included whatever took place back then. Maybe the doctor attempted to blackmail the judge or something to that effect.

But here's what could be the real shocker: the identity of the child. Personally, I strongly believe...it's Natalie! Just think about it: Natalie is about 34-35 years old. Julie is about 17-18 years old, as she just mentioned that she is planning to attend UC Berkeley (incidentally, the college from which Trudy graduated). This would mean that if Trudy were raped, it would have happened at a VERY young age, possibly around 13 (1975). (She did graduate valedictorian from the Ashton Preparatory School in 1977 at age 15, as mentioned in "Mr. Monk Goes Back to School," so maybe it happened there.) If the judge was indeed responsible for this, it'd certainly be enough to destroy any further advances in his career, since he is apparently moving up to the state supreme court. It would definitely provide enough motive for him to go as far as he has gone to kill all these people. If he's about 52 or so right now, that would place him at around 18 years old when Trudy was 13.

But why Natalie? It would certainly explain a lot...such as her rebellious nature around her wealthy family (she did mention being a gambling addict in "Vegas," frequenting a nudist beach in "Naked Man," and throwing a man through a window and going to jail in "Office"), which could point to adoption. In California, closed adoptions are very common, so the Davenports would not have known who the real birth parents were, or vice versa. But it would make a lot of sense, at least more so than introducing a completely new character that would be the child. At least in the end, regardless of whether Natalie continues her relationship with Albright, Monk can still have Trudy "live on" through both Natalie and Julie, which would be an appropriately bittersweet ending for the show. Also, it would fit perfectly with the rather familial relationship that Monk, Natalie, and Julie already share.

The question is - if this is indeed true (which is a big "if"), does Natalie know about it? She probably doesn't know about her connection to Trudy, but then again, she or Julie could have easily been volunteering at that birthing center and discovered something in their records.

It's going to be a long week...

haldrey

[15]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 22
    An exceptional, over the top episode. We had fun with this one but us, Monk junkies, will cry with the last one. Monk has been one of the most consistent shows through the years, but with the last episodes the writers are excelling themselves. They really want us to miss Monk.

pgsuperfan

[16]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 25
    It was great but a lot of prople are missing the fact that Adrian is dieing, I hope it does not happen I hope Adrian ends without death that he goes on knowing why and how Trudy died. Please Adrian don't die on us !!!

stretchsnodgras

[17]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 2
    Great Episode.

syrusfan

[19]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 38
    pgsuperfan wrote:
    It was great but a lot of prople are missing the fact that Adrian is dieing, I hope it does not happen I hope Adrian ends without death that he goes on knowing why and how Trudy died. Please Adrian don't die on us !!!
    I don't want him to die either. I'm sure a lot of people don't want him to die.