Monk Forums

USA (ended 2009)

Official Discussion Thread: Mr. Monk and the End (1) (possible spoilers)

jwgrlrrajn

[21]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 23
    noname_1 wrote:
    A lot of people have speculated that Trudy was raped or got pregnant somehow at a young age, which would tie in to the fact that the "something terrible" mentioned on the tape happened to her before she and Monk met (in college, as established in "Mr. Monk and the Class Reunion"), as well as the inclusion of the birthing center. If, in fact, the judge introduced to us in part one is the killer, it would seem very plausible that he could be the father. The killing of the midwife at the birthing center took place possibly due to Trudy trying to find out what happened to the child. Perhaps she confronted the judge about it, who threatened to kill her and anyone who knew anything (which would include the midwife). Of course, the doctor was killed when he was scanning records, which would almost certainly have included whatever took place back then. Maybe the doctor attempted to blackmail the judge or something to that effect.

But here's what could be the real shocker: the identity of the child. Personally, I strongly believe...it's Natalie! Just think about it: Natalie is about 34-35 years old. Julie is about 17-18 years old, as she just mentioned that she is planning to attend UC Berkeley (incidentally, the college from which Trudy graduated). This would mean that if Trudy were raped, it would have happened at a VERY young age, possibly around 13 (1975). (She did graduate valedictorian from the Ashton Preparatory School in 1977 at age 15, as mentioned in "Mr. Monk Goes Back to School," so maybe it happened there.) If the judge was indeed responsible for this, it'd certainly be enough to destroy any further advances in his career, since he is apparently moving up to the state supreme court. It would definitely provide enough motive for him to go as far as he has gone to kill all these people. If he's about 52 or so right now, that would place him at around 18 years old when Trudy was 13.

But why Natalie? It would certainly explain a lot...such as her rebellious nature around her wealthy family (she did mention being a gambling addict in "Vegas," frequenting a nudist beach in "Naked Man," and throwing a man through a window and going to jail in "Office"), which could point to adoption. In California, closed adoptions are very common, so the Davenports would not have known who the real birth parents were, or vice versa. But it would make a lot of sense, at least more so than introducing a completely new character that would be the child. At least in the end, regardless of whether Natalie continues her relationship with Albright, Monk can still have Trudy "live on" through both Natalie and Julie, which would be an appropriately bittersweet ending for the show. Also, it would fit perfectly with the rather familial relationship that Monk, Natalie, and Julie already share.

The question is - if this is indeed true (which is a big "if"), does Natalie know about it? She probably doesn't know about her connection to Trudy, but then again, she or Julie could have easily been volunteering at that birthing center and discovered something in their records.

It's going to be a long week...

Your theory about Natalie had me going for a minute, but unfortunately it didn't last very long after I remembered that they had Natalie's parents on the show on more than one occasion. So unless Natalie is adopted somehow (which I do not recall them mentioning), that part of your theory is kaput. (it would make for an epic plotline though)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

neokid0298

[22]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 8
    Why would they be like "oh this is my daughter natalie she is adopted"

She might not even KNOW she is adopted.

I have the same feeling, Trudy got help from the Birthing Center when she was young, and the doctor may be the one who Trudy arranged the midwifing with (since he was looking old), and that the Judge may be the father of the child.

quiltnsuzy

[23]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 1

pgsuperfan wrote:
    It was great but a lot of prople are missing the fact that Adrian is dieing, I hope it does not happen I hope Adrian ends without death that he goes on knowing why and how Trudy died. Please Adrian don't die on us !!!

Actually, I think it is brilliant. Not that I really want him to die. But think about it- what is the one thing Adrian wants even more than finding out who killed Trudy? To be with her again! This does that and also ends all possibility of future movies/specials, assuming Mr. Shalhoub really wants to go out on top and not drag the character out again. Unfortunately, I have a commitment next Friday night so I'm not sure I'll be home to watch it live but I sure will have my tape in for it.

TVsALF

[24]Nov 29, 2009
    • level: 4

noname_1 wrote:

But here's what could be the real shocker: the identity of the child. Personally, I strongly believe...it's Natalie! Just think about it: Natalie is about 34-35 years old. Julie is about 17-18 years old, as she just mentioned that she is planning to attend UC Berkeley (incidentally, the college from which Trudy graduated). This would mean that if Trudy were raped, it would have happened at a VERY young age, possibly around 13 (1975). (She did graduate valedictorian from the Ashton Preparatory School in 1977 at age 15, as mentioned in "Mr. Monk Goes Back to School," so maybe it happened there.) If the judge was indeed responsible for this, it'd certainly be enough to destroy any further advances in his career, since he is apparently moving up to the state supreme court. It would definitely provide enough motive for him to go as far as he has gone to kill all these people. If he's about 52 or so right now, that would place him at around 18 years old when Trudy was 13.

Interesting. One question I have is in regards to Natalie's age. Did she ever mention old she was, or whether she was a teenage mother? I was always under the impression she met Mitch in her early 20s, and had Julie around 23 or 24.

TVsALF

[25]Nov 29, 2009

pinkishjoy wrote:
    i think what we are really expecting to see next week isn't just the identity of the person responsible of Trudy's death, but more importantly, is how will Monk deal with finally solving the case and having closure. Damn I can't wait another week!! Man this is killing me!

I would be really disappointed if it wasn't the Craig T. Nelson character. Part One made it pretty clear he was the one on the phone with Joey K, and admitted to having Trudy murdered.The idea of a twist at this point doesn't seem to something you'd see from Monk. The big reveal would appear to be Trudy's secret, and why the Judge had these people killed and how the connect.

BTRAV

[26]Nov 29, 2009
    • level: 27
    TVsALF wrote:

pinkishjoy wrote:
    i think what we are really expecting to see next week isn't just the identity of the person responsible of Trudy's death, but more importantly, is how will Monk deal with finally solving the case and having closure. Damn I can't wait another week!! Man this is killing me!

I would be really disappointed if it wasn't the Craig T. Nelson character. Part One made it pretty clear he was the one on the phone with Joey K, and admitted to having Trudy murdered.The idea of a twist at this point doesn't seem to something you'd see from Monk. The big reveal would appear to be Trudy's secret, and why the Judge had these people killed and how the connect.

Agreed. I'd say more but you've already said it all.

Edited on 11/29/2009 7:11am

haldrey

[27]Nov 29, 2009
    • level: 22
    No, I did not missed the fact that Adrian is dying, but since this is not a dark drama show I believe that they will find an antidote and that the finale will be a happy one.

pitbull3

[28]Nov 29, 2009
    • level: 41
    friendfan13 wrote:
    steveinsider wrote:
    the poison are in the wipes

Thats what i think!!!!

Maybe, I thought that to, but didn't the cops look at the receipt from the store, they would of checked those too. I don't remember Natalie's purse being in the cart so he couldn't of switched them. I wouldnt be surprised if it is the wipes though.

neokid0298

[30]Nov 29, 2009
    TVsALF wrote:

noname_1 wrote:

Interesting. One question I have is in regards to Natalie's age. Did she ever mention old she was, or whether she was a teenage mother? I was always under the impression she met Mitch in her early 20s, and had Julie around 23 or 24.

I was always under the impression that Mitch and Natalie met while Natalie was in college. She seems like the type of person to be studying abroad and she probably met Mitch while he was in the Navy stationed at the same place Natalie was studying, one thing led to another, and there was a pregnant 19 year old Natalie.

brownie_82

[31]Nov 29, 2009
    I spent half of that episode saying, "It's in the wipes! These people are smarter than that, check the wipes!" If it turns out to be true, it might be the one bad thing for me about this series finale, because in my opinion, it should be rather obvious to the people closest to him (not to mention him, but I suppose he does have a lot on his mind at the time).
    pitbull3 wrote:
    Maybe, I thought that to, but didn't the cops look at the receipt from the store, they would of checked those too.
    From what I remember, they said they were testing the food in the cart. That would exclude the wipes.

jwgrlrrajn

[33]Nov 29, 2009
    Guns can be traced, poison is usually more discreet.

tjaman

[35]Nov 29, 2009
    • level: 32
    I think they're ending this beautifully. This season Monk got to reconcile with Harold Krenshaw, got to see Sharona again and got to open his Trudy present. He was reinstated as a police officer so he knew that he could. He stood up to a _bear_ after a day of camping, and he survived vertigo on the window-washer's lift. I think they've really pulled it together for this final season, and everyone's been doing a great job. Well done Mr. Monk! w00t!

pgsuperfan

[36]Nov 29, 2009
    • level: 25
    I sure hope that in Part 2 they some how find a cure at the last minute to save Adrian and like everyone else I cannot wait to find out who Trudy's killer is and what did she do in her past that caused someone to want to kill her.

mattgus

[37]Nov 29, 2009
    • level: 14
    i sais this at the begining of the season mostly because of previews;that stodlemyer had something to do with this. but it would be so unmonk-like to have a horror like that..but i would not be completly surprised if they totally kick us big time...i really hope not. it is too nasty...but???

jwgrlrrajn

[38]Nov 29, 2009
    steveinsider wrote:
    I think albright is involved the wipes were to make monk just sick but when albright touched him he poisoned him. albright takes the anditote monk figures it out and gets the andidote from albright i am 99 percent sure thats how he tracks down trudys killer

Remind me who Albright is again? (sorry, I forgot)

neokid0298

[40]Nov 29, 2009
    pgsuperfan wrote:
    I sure hope that in Part 2 they some how find a cure at the last minute to save Adrian and like everyone else I cannot wait to find out who Trudy's killer is and what did she do in her past that caused someone to want to kill her.

Well the DID say they couldn't administer an antidote until they found out which variant of ricin he was inflicted with