Monk Forums

USA (ended 2009)

Official Discussion Thread: Mr. Monk and the End (1) (possible spoilers)

neokid0298

[41]Nov 29, 2009
    • level: 8
    mattgus wrote:
    i sais this at the begining of the season mostly because of previews;that stodlemyer had something to do with this. but it would be so unmonk-like to have a horror like that..but i would not be completly surprised if they totally kick us big time...i really hope not. it is too nasty...but???

Stottlymeyer only plays a bad guy when he doesn't have a mustache
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jpaul34

[42]Nov 29, 2009
    • level: 5
    Not to ruin it for anyone, but I thought it was pretty obvious that it was the judge on the phone. He altered his voice somewhat, but that sure sounded like Craig T Nelson to me.

MichaelLyons

[43]Nov 29, 2009
    • level: 4
    Don't you think that the quote about, "it took you 14 years to fix that shower" has anything to do with anything? Hiding a body back there woudl seem plausible.

JesseTehSkox

[44]Nov 29, 2009
    • level: 5

neokid0298 wrote:
    mattgus wrote:
    i sais this at the begining of the season mostly because of previews;that stodlemyer had something to do with this. but it would be so unmonk-like to have a horror like that..but i would not be completly surprised if they totally kick us big time...i really hope not. it is too nasty...but???
    Maybe it's been a fake mustache all this time and he's been fooling us all! GASP!

Anyway, I'm still trying to decide if the "killing off the protagonist in an explosive finale" route would be more or less cliché than the "finding a miracle antidote at the last minute" route all you guys seem to want them to take.

dancingbeatle

[45]Nov 30, 2009
    • level: 45
    I might have to watch this episode again, but was the tape made so that Trudy could confess to something from her past? Or was she at all aware that someone was after her? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question.

neokid0298

[46]Nov 30, 2009
    JesseTehSkox wrote:

neokid0298 wrote:
    mattgus wrote:
    Maybe it's been a fake mustache all this time and he's been fooling us all! GASP!

Anyway, I'm still trying to decide if the "killing off the protagonist in an explosive finale" route would be more or less cliché than the "finding a miracle antidote at the last minute" route all you guys seem to want them to take.

Well theoretically, if they test Monk's wipes and figure out what type of ricin was used, they can administer an antidote, they probably have a lot of ricin antidotes ready, because of the following:
    A. Monk is in San Francisco, a highly populated area.
    B. His doctor was mentioned to be one of the top toxicologists in the country or whatever, he probably researches ricin, so he probably has the antidotes in case of an accident
    C. Once they found out about what type of poison was used, they probably began to stockpile on types of ricin antidotes.
    D. The CDC was most likely contacted (along with a few other federal agencies, like the FBI), therefore they have access to a very very large pool of medication and resources.

One thing I found odd, isn't Natalie's boyfriend like a navy medical officer or something? Aren't military men trained to know what someone who has been the victim of a biological attack looks like?

Since they said Monk has a LOT of the toxin in his system.

neokid0298

[47]Nov 30, 2009
    dancingbeatle wrote:
    I might have to watch this episode again, but was the tape made so that Trudy could confess to something from her past? Or was she at all aware that someone was after her? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question.

She said something like "Hi Adrian, if you are watching this, I am already dead. I did something bad. Something before we ever met"

tunabech

[48]Nov 30, 2009
    • level: 9
    Trudy's killer is the judge from one of the opening scenes of the episode. He was the one who signed off on the warrant when the four main characters were at his house. Why else would they have that scene, they've never shown them going to a judges house before. I figured it out when he told the hitman that the cops had a partial fingerprint.

horvathgamer

[49]Nov 30, 2009

I'm sorry if this has already been brought up. Did anyone else notice that they did it again, they made a plot hole if you will by going against information they had already given us. In "monk and the employee of the month" it was stated that monk and his former partner were in a diner (or something like that) when monk got the call about trudy. Not working a case with stottlemyer. How hard is it to avoid doing stuff like this. They did the same thing with warrick tennison and the 6 fingered man. Anyways, good episode, I'm looking forward to the finale.

mattgus

[52]Nov 30, 2009
    • level: 14
    see i did'nt but they maybe did noy want it to be obvious..why have him on...except to distract us..maybe he anf tony s are good friends...newhart went to big trouble to keep the surprise for thier finale'...remeber the story where trudy is not dead..look alike...was that important it had to do with what she was working on...she knew she might go down...maybe she is alive and had to be in witness protection???

jwgrlrrajn

[53]Nov 30, 2009
    • level: 23
    steveinsider wrote:
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    steveinsider wrote:
    I think albright is involved the wipes were to make monk just sick but when albright touched him he poisoned him. albright takes the anditote monk figures it out and gets the andidote from albright i am 99 percent sure thats how he tracks down trudys killer

Remind me who Albright is again? (sorry, I forgot)
    Lt Albright is natalies boyfriend. He was in Monk is underwater

Oh, okay. Well, I'm not sure that he is involved with Monk's ordeal, but you never know.

However, he might have something to do with Mitch's death/disappearance. (that one's for all you conspiracy buffs out there)

mattgus

[54]Nov 30, 2009
    i was wrong it is craig t nelson. when he as the judge is on the phone at the beginning of the scene thre is an arial shot...it looks like his head...but it will be why the midwife,trudy the story she was working on and the killings 12 yrs ago and now they are connected...no dale the whale or other people we might know...i guess i am more interested than i thought about this finale'. i have been trying to figure it out...

mattgus

[55]Nov 30, 2009
    forgot to add...casper van dien is a relatively well known actor too. i thought he might be involved...but i also thought he was there to give natale closure. someone to have in her life...but there are those who think she loves monk...maybe that will be the biggest surprise...her and monk off in the sunset after the case is solved and her boyfriend is implicated...

jwgrlrrajn

[57]Dec 1, 2009
    • level: 23
    Maybe, I don't know.

BTW, did anyone notice that the bomb in Trudy's car went off as soon as she turned on the ignition? I'm almost certain that they had said the bomb was activated by cellphone in a previous episode.

syrusfan

[58]Dec 1, 2009
    • level: 38
    noname_1 wrote:
    A lot of people have speculated that Trudy was raped or got pregnant somehow at a young age, which would tie in to the fact that the "something terrible" mentioned on the tape happened to her before she and Monk met (in college, as established in "Mr. Monk and the Class Reunion"), as well as the inclusion of the birthing center. If, in fact, the judge introduced to us in part one is the killer, it would seem very plausible that he could be the father. The killing of the midwife at the birthing center took place possibly due to Trudy trying to find out what happened to the child. Perhaps she confronted the judge about it, who threatened to kill her and anyone who knew anything (which would include the midwife). Of course, the doctor was killed when he was scanning records, which would almost certainly have included whatever took place back then. Maybe the doctor attempted to blackmail the judge or something to that effect.

But here's what could be the real shocker: the identity of the child. Personally, I strongly believe...it's Natalie! Just think about it: Natalie is about 34-35 years old. Julie is about 17-18 years old, as she just mentioned that she is planning to attend UC Berkeley (incidentally, the college from which Trudy graduated). This would mean that if Trudy were raped, it would have happened at a VERY young age, possibly around 13 (1975). (She did graduate valedictorian from the Ashton Preparatory School in 1977 at age 15, as mentioned in "Mr. Monk Goes Back to School," so maybe it happened there.) If the judge was indeed responsible for this, it'd certainly be enough to destroy any further advances in his career, since he is apparently moving up to the state supreme court. It would definitely provide enough motive for him to go as far as he has gone to kill all these people. If he's about 52 or so right now, that would place him at around 18 years old when Trudy was 13.

But why Natalie? It would certainly explain a lot...such as her rebellious nature around her wealthy family (she did mention being a gambling addict in "Vegas," frequenting a nudist beach in "Naked Man," and throwing a man through a window and going to jail in "Office"), which could point to adoption. In California, closed adoptions are very common, so the Davenports would not have known who the real birth parents were, or vice versa. But it would make a lot of sense, at least more so than introducing a completely new character that would be the child. At least in the end, regardless of whether Natalie continues her relationship with Albright, Monk can still have Trudy "live on" through both Natalie and Julie, which would be an appropriately bittersweet ending for the show. Also, it would fit perfectly with the rather familial relationship that Monk, Natalie, and Julie already share.

The question is - if this is indeed true (which is a big "if"), does Natalie know about it? She probably doesn't know about her connection to Trudy, but then again, she or Julie could have easily been volunteering at that birthing center and discovered something in their records.

It's going to be a long week...
    WTH?
    No offense, but this thoery, to me, is complete and total bull. It makes absoutley NO SENSE, and is just wierd.

setrepeoh

[59]Dec 1, 2009
    • level: 1

Needless to say, I'll miss this program. However, I'm thankful they didn't let it die on the vine, like alot of other shows; by cutting the budget and staff writers until the ratings forced the end .

waisal14

[60]Dec 1, 2009
    • level: 10

I don't agree with the whole Trudy being pregnant theory. I think she might have witnessed a crime and didn't report it, she was helped out with an illegal job, or something criminal related that somebody wanted her dead. From whatever she did, I think Dale the Whale knew what she did and was blackmailing her somehow that lead to her and Monk to lose their house and possessions. However, along the process Dale probably informed whoever knew what Trudy did and where she lived. So they could have worked together to kill Trudy along with some other people (6 finger men, the judge, Tennyson, and Rollins).