Monk Forums

USA (ended 2009)

Official Discussion Thread - Mr. Monk and the End (2) (possible spoilers)

Abriel004

[21]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 8
    Thank you, Larexx. Your information helped a lot. Thanks so much. Have a nice evening.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

syrusfan

[22]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 38

Well everyone, this is the end. My opinions? As an ending, it was good. To be honest, it felt sort of rushed, but it was good nonetheless. i didn't feel as if it was 100% satisfying, but it was an acceptable ending. Closure comes to all characters, everyone has wrapped itself up, Monk has a new reason for doing what he does, and he has fainlly solved his wife's death. Again, it was a very good ending, but I was expecting a little more.

Farewell Monk. You shall be missed.

kravitzfan12

[23]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 34
    I'll be coming back to comment in more depth once I get to take it all in, but right now I'm very happy with the finale.

Honestly, the best part for me was when they mentioned leaving the stove on - it was the perfect throw-back to the pilot! That combined with the beautiful new Randy Newman song made me choke up!

tjoceasde

[24]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 18
    That was a great way to end the show. It had the right mix of drama, comedy, and closure.

syrusfan

[25]Dec 4, 2009
    kravitzfan12 wrote:
    I'll be coming back to comment in more depth once I get to take it all in, but right now I'm very happy with the finale.

Honestly, the best part for me was when they mentioned leaving the stove on - it was the perfect throw-back to the pilot! That combined with the beautiful new Randy Newman song made me choke up!
    That song made me feel so sad knowing it was really the end. It's just..y'know, hard knowing there won't be a new episode next Friday.

steveuk2010

[26]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 7
    syrusfan wrote:
    kravitzfan12 wrote:

That song made me feel so sad knowing it was really the end. It's just..y'know, hard knowing there won't be a new episode next Friday.

totaly agree but not just that knowing that was the final ever episode of monk is so hard.

davescanman1929

[27]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 3
    Have had this thought since last week, A Randy Disher series.

syrusfan

[28]Dec 4, 2009
    davescanman1929 wrote:
    Have had this thought since last week, A Randy Disher series.
    Not really sure what to think of that to be honest.

TVsALF

[29]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 4
    A tv movie centered around the death of Natalie's husband would be interesting.

woodstock-chan

[30]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 11
    All in all? Brilliantly done. I couldn't have asked for a better ending. Monk found Trudy's killer (as of course we knew he would), and in return got a little piece of her back. Randy's departure... perfect. The montage sequence made me choke. It was all so sweet and tied up together that it sort of ebbs away the sadness that it will be the last we'll ever see of him. Not including USA's syndication frenzy.

rubencsj_2005

[31]Dec 4, 2009
    Well then its over. That was quite a ride for 8 years, and in the end, im sad to see the show go and that no longer we'll see the Next Friday ads, but on the other hand, I guess it was smart to quit while they were still ahead.

As for the episode. That was very dramatic, to see what had happened to Trudy. It was a surprise to see that Dale the Whael really was never directly involved in the killing other than perhaps knowing and not telling. It was obvious that the Judge was the killer from the previous episode and well we all knew from Mr. Monk is on the Run that some Judge ordered her killing. Withouth spoiling the whole thing. I liked the dark atmosphere mixed with the comedy. The perfect ending for me was for Monk to be reunited with trudy in the afterlife, but without spoiling much I guess this works too. I liked the "feeling" of completing the circle with the whole mention of the stove which is how the series started.

mariner_lady

[32]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 1

I was very happy with the ending until they played that stupid sad song! They gave us a good ending, lots of thrills and excitement. It felt really good to see Monk so happy and still working, which gave me hope that there might be more Monk for us in the future. Even though I hated to see them end the series, the ending was fulfilling and brought great joy and happiness to me to see Monk so happy......then they yanked that good feeling away with that too sad and too heartbreaking song. The ending was worth all the hype that we Monk fans would like the way it ended, but with that stupid sad song, they killed everything!!! I wish I hadn't even watched it!

rubencsj_2005

[33]Dec 4, 2009
    lol Well the song was maybe over the top, but not to ruin the episode. Plus the flashback time maybe would have been used to give more closure to Natalie. Also I think more time could have been bought if they took out the theme song at the beginning.

mattgus

[34]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 14
    i liked the idea of the song...the song itself was not catchy like the original...it was not really a sad story at all...monk went to the movies and life goes on,with assorted moves for those like randy outside of the grp...but it could easily be set for a movies with randy needing them or a visit to him and a murder in his town...of course it is endless...always monk reruns and so many too........

tjoceasde

[35]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 18
    mariner_lady wrote:

I was very happy with the ending until they played that stupid sad song! They gave us a good ending, lots of thrills and excitement. It felt really good to see Monk so happy and still working, which gave me hope that there might be more Monk for us in the future. Even though I hated to see them end the series, the ending was fulfilling and brought great joy and happiness to me to see Monk so happy......then they yanked that good feeling away with that too sad and too heartbreaking song. The ending was worth all the hype that we Monk fans would like the way it ended, but with that stupid sad song, they killed everything!!! I wish I hadn't even watched it!

I was actually hoping that if they were going to play a song at the end, they would do a "throwback" and play the original theme song.

No_Hablo_Ingles

[36]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 9
    Why isn't Monk mad? He could have solved this case like 13 years ago...

MissTVfanatic

[37]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 3

The ending was amazing. I think the show ended perfectly in my opinion. To me things didn't seem rushed at all. I loved how they showed what everybody was doing at the end it was the perfect way to end the series. To be honest the ending to me was so happy and sad that it brought me to tears. Espically with that song at the ending that just added more to the tears. All in all I think USA did a really good job with the entrie series. Nothing will ever truly replace Monk on Friday nights for me.

Goodbye Monk. You will be dearly missed.

rubencsj_2005

[38]Dec 4, 2009

No_Hablo_Ingles wrote:

Yeah, that's another thing. He should have had shown more remorse that he didn't open the gift earlier.

No_Hablo_Ingles

[39]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 9
    rubencsj_2005 wrote:

No_Hablo_Ingles wrote:

Yeah, that's another thing. He should have had shown more remorse that he didn't open the gift earlier.

I'm watching it right now again... I haven't seen him show any remorse at all that he didn't open it sooner... He only showed remorse for what Trudy said in the video (although I don't think remorse is the right word).

andy72685

[40]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 13

Did anyone else notice that Monk finally a) slept in the middle of the bed, and b) finally straightened the table in the den?

Clever move writers...