Monk Forums

USA (ended 2009)

Official Discussion Thread - Mr. Monk and the End (2) (possible spoilers)

rubencsj_2005

[41]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 7
    - Now that I've seen it twice, I'm gonna nitpick it a bit plus add a brainstorm I had after watching it a second time.

...Well, I'm not sure if this is what they were builiding up to for 8 seasons. Look at the simplicity of it. We had a judge, a six fingered man, a Warrick Tennyson, a corrupt police officer, Dale the Whale and many other facts only to cover up a judge affair. Altho maybe more would have been maybe...overdoing it. Trudy was a journalist, I guess she suffered enough, Dale the Whale got their house, then even after death someone was eager to kill and burn information she wrote. (Mr. Monk and Mrs. Monk.). Maybe what's really buggin me is that the whole story arch kinda only encompasses these two episodes and felt like only one episode closing. We met the killer and sent him to jail. I'll just stop now XD

- On a side note. It was kinda off key that Monk was even crying to meet Molly and she didn't react with that much excitement or sadness.

- Also I was expecting the scene that followed the stove line, that panned down to show police force like the very first episode, I was expecting that to be a new scene and not taken directly from the first episode. It would have added more to the "a whole circle" feeling.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TVsALF

[42]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 4
    No_Hablo_Ingles wrote:
    rubencsj_2005 wrote:

No_Hablo_Ingles wrote:
    Why isn't Monk mad? He could have solved this case like 13 years ago...

Yeah, that's another thing. He should have had shown more remorse that he didn't open the gift earlier.

I'm watching it right now again... I haven't seen him show any remorse at all that he didn't open it sooner... He only showed remorse for what Trudy said in the video (although I don't think remorse is the right word).

I thought he showed remorse last week, when he tells Natalie I shouldn't have waited 12 years to watch this video.

I don't think it's that big of a deal either way. The show wanted to focus on Monk moving ahead with his life. It's possible he talked to Dr. Bell off camera, or the realization will punch him in the gut.

Melzias

[43]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 7
    Absolutely beautiful and amazing ending to the show.

jwgrlrrajn

[44]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 23
    Well, I thought the episode was good, but to be honest, I thought that "Mr. Monk is on the Run" was more epic.

I like that Monk is no longer afflicted with having to wear the same shirt all the time, that was nice. I didn't catch the coffee table thing though, so kudos to whoever caught that without having to be told.

***SPOILER***
    I am soooo glad that Natalie isn't the daughter, the odds against it are way too high for it to be plausible. (a theory I saw on Pt. 1's thread)

That said, I wonder why they went through the trouble of bringing in Lt. Albright when he had never been seen or mentioned on the show since Season 7; Episode 5. (I realize he was mentioned in "Mr. Monk is the Best Man," but that was still too far away from "Underwater" in my opinion.)

malice101

[45]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 1

rubencsj_2005 wrote:
    -On a side note. It was kinda off key that Monk was even crying to meet Molly and she didn't react with that much excitement or sadness. -

I felt that made perfect sense. For her, she has parents and always has. Monk was basically a stranger to her. But to him, she was the daughter from the love of his life. The beacon of his new main purpose in life.

tjoceasde

[46]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 18
    andy72685 wrote:

Did anyone else notice that Monk finally a) slept in the middle of the bed, and b) finally straightened the table in the den?

Clever move writers...

You forgot one thing. In the final scene, he's wearing a brown sweater instead of the usual beige shirt.

malice101

[47]Dec 4, 2009
    • level: 1
    Also, I loved the very end. The way he dressed a little sharper. Closed the car door without a care. Walked in with a swagger. Great all around ending to an absolutely great show.

mksystem74

[48]Dec 5, 2009
    • level: 11
    I love watching series finales. Even if I never watched the show, occasionally watched the show, watched it on and off, or watch it religiously. I watched Monk in the beginning but I stopped somewhere in the middle, caught a few episodes here and there and then I watched this last season and I don't think I missed much. Everyone seemed how they were back then as they do now. I wasn't lost on anything and just picked up like it was nothing. This finale, it didn't do nothing for me, it was too predictable and come on... a few murders to cover up a sex scandal and an illegitimate child for an up and coming politician? It felt like I've seen it done hundreds of times. I'll go back and watch the whole series one day, it was a good show can't believe it was on for 8 seasons. A lot of shows hope to get picked up for the second half of their first and thank the TV gods if they get picked up for a second season. And Monk did it for 8 years on basic cable. Psych has about half the epsidoes Monk lasted, it'll be fun to see how long that can go. But there's only one Monk. A good show with an alright ending.

JesseTehSkox

[49]Dec 5, 2009
    • level: 5

jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    Well, I thought the episode was good, but to be honest, I thought that "Mr. Monk is on the Run" was more epic. I like that Monk is no longer afflicted with having to wear the same shirt all the time, that was nice. I didn't catch the coffee table thing though, so kudos to whoever caught that without having to be told.
    ***SPOILER***
    I am soooo glad that Natalie isn't the daughter, the odds against it are way too high for it to be plausible. (a theory I saw on Pt. 1's thread) That said, I wonder why they went through the trouble of bringing in Lt. Albright when he had never been seen or mentioned on the show since Season 7; Episode 5. (I realize he was mentioned in "Mr. Monk is the Best Man," but that was still too far away from "Underwater" in my opinion.)
    Totally agree about "Mr. Monk is on the Run". I'm so glad USA reran it as part of the "Trudy mythology" marathon. I love that episode...

Albright was obviously hastily brought in as part of the show's quest to close out everyone's respective storylines. Y'know, just like Stottlemeyer and T.K., but even more awkward and out of the blue.

After watching this episode, I still don't get all the praise Randy Newman gets. Not. At. All.

fullhans1

[50]Dec 5, 2009
    The episode was ok. Nothing great, but not bad either. The "Trudy had a child" plot twist was a bit too cliche though.

BTRAV

[51]Dec 5, 2009
    • level: 27
    fullhans1 wrote:
    The episode was ok. Nothing great, but not bad either. The "Trudy had a child" plot twist was a bit too cliche though.

I agree. Another thing is that nobody replaced Randy as lieutenant - it looks like Stottlemyer just works with Monk and Natalie. Also, we had originally heard that Bitty Schram/Sharona would've appeared in the end, but instead there was just a picture of her on Randy's desk in Summit, NJ. But that didn't really matter since TK only appeared for that one brief scene in the Stottlemyer house. It wasn't needed.
    In a way I would've liked it to go on, but I'm also a bit glad it's over. Now let's see if any other show can match that.

friendfan13

[52]Dec 5, 2009
    • level: 8
    The finale was wonderful. Everything tied together nicely. We got to witness monk solve trudys case and meet her daughter. I love how the last half and hour was devoted to a happy ending. The last 2 eps had been so dramatic and dark, but then it transitioned so well into a happy ending. The writers did an amazing job with the last half an hour. i loved how he slept in the center of the bed, the coffee table was straightened, and how he overall seemed more relaxed. It was great to have the montage of clips from the past as well as clips showing how randy and the captain live happily ever after. im glad they didnt show too much about natalie and steven, and it more focused on monk and natalies relationship. because thats the one we've seen for years now. The stove line was a nice touch to bring the story full circle. and i love when finales zoom out at the end on a normal day of work. As the camera zooms out, we see the captain, monk and natalie going in to solve a murder, just like the last 8 years. What a magical ending to one of the greatest shows to be on televison. Monk its been a great ride. thanks for the laughs

pgsuperfan

[54]Dec 5, 2009
    • level: 25
    Yes it is very sad that the series is over. But the way they(the writers) handled it was great. Adrian finally has closure and a sort daughter in Molly, a gift from Trudy. I was so afraid that they would kill Adrian off but it was the Judge that ended up dieing, he got what he deserved for the cover up all these years. I could not help but notice how Adrian was dressed at the end, his top button on his shirt open and wearing sweaters. Adrian we will all miss you.

bklynsson

[56]Dec 5, 2009
    • level: 5
    I agree the subtle touches were nice. NOT a good ending though. Ask yourself was this case above Monks ability? Even with out the Christmas present. It was rushed. I guess this was a series written one episode at a time. But, when it was good it was great!

stretchsnodgras

[57]Dec 5, 2009
    • level: 2
    Good ending - I was hoping that Trudy's murder would be more complicated, but it worked out okay. Would of been interesting to know how the judge set it up - and how Dale the Whale found out about it.

The judge shooting himself after he was found out was great.

Monk gets his release, Trudy left a legacy (her daughter). Everyone else gets paired off. Other than Monk and Natalie finding a way to get their finances in order, everything's resolved.

I actually the previous poster's idea of a spinoff with Disher as Chief of Police would be a riot.

jwgrlrrajn

[58]Dec 5, 2009
    • level: 23
    Come to think of it, I don't like the fact that the Judge ends up offing himself. I mean, we've waited eight years for Monk to put that man behind bars, and he ends up shooting himself? It's just not as satisfying, imo.

Also, I think that Trudy's murder should have been about something bigger than a job. It would almost have to be, since the Judge hired the six-fingered man, who apparently hired Warrick Tennyson to kill Trudy. And then the Judge hired a guy to kill Monk. It just doesn't add up, it's like 2+2=1.

(BTW, how is it the Judge knew where the poison was? Did the guy tell him where he put it, just in case Monk offered the Judge a wipe?)

TVsALF

[59]Dec 5, 2009
    I would have preferred if the police would have shot him, but I think they had to kill him off. It would have been nice to hear an explanation from the Judge on why he hired a guy who hired a guy to murder Trudy. I would guess he wanted the hit to look like it was done by the mob to throw the police off. The Judge might have told Joey Kaz to poison the wipes.

tjoceasde

[60]Dec 5, 2009
    • level: 18

jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    Come to think of it, I don't like the fact that the Judge ends up offing himself. I mean, we've waited eight years for Monk to put that man behind bars, and he ends up shooting himself? It's just not as satisfying, imo. Also, I think that Trudy's murder should have been about something bigger than a job. It would almost have to be, since the Judge hired the six-fingered man, who apparently hired Warrick Tennyson to kill Trudy. And then the Judge hired a guy to kill Monk. It just doesn't add up, it's like 2+2=1. (BTW, how is it the Judge knew where the poison was? Did the guy tell him where he put it, just in case Monk offered the Judge a wipe?)

Here's the way I rationalize it:

The judge probably killed the midwife unexpectedly (maybe unintentionally in a heated argument). Then after burying the body, he realized that Trudy could still come forward about the affar, so she had to die too. After committing murder and getting away with it once, the judge probably didn't want to take the risk of getting his hands dirty a second time. So he hired the six-fingered man to pull off the actual murder. And the six-fingered man hired Tennyson to build the actual bomb, possibly because the six-fingered man himself did not have a lot of experience building explosives at the time.

Through his connections to the political and criminal world (which sometime overlap), Dale the Whale figured out that Tennyson was the one who built the bomb. Then, after Monk & the Gang go to New York and learn about the six-fingered man, Dale finds out about him and starts plotting his revenge against Monk for sending him to prison.

Since there probably aren't that many six-fingered hitmen in the world, Dale found him easily and hired him to pull off a job similar to that of Trudy's murder. After 10 years, he's had plenty of time to learn about bomb-making, especially since Tennyson is now dead. What the six-fingered man didn't realize is that he was going to be killed (by the corrupt sheriff) and Monk was going to be set up for the crime. But of course, Monk solved that crime and Dale the Whale was re-convicted. In the end, Dale probably never knew that the judge was involved.

Fast forward to last week, Dr. Nash discovered something in the clinic's old medical records that implicated the judge in the 2 murders. So the judge had him killed, and you all know the rest of the story.