Monk Forums

USA (ended 2009)

Official Discussion Thread - Mr. Monk and the End (2) (possible spoilers)

neokid0298

[61]Dec 5, 2009
    • level: 8
    The ending was decent, definitely not best finale ever, but it was better than SOME finales I have seen
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

love_moore

[62]Dec 6, 2009
    • level: 1
    So I can't seem to find anyone else who has noticed this in the treads. But Monk graduated college in 1981. He met Trudy while in college. This is stated in the episode where he goes to his class reunion. The whole reunion he kept saying he was referred to "as the guy with Trudy" However Trudy's pregnancy happens in 1982-1983. She says in the video it was years before she met Monk, but that's impossible. This is driving me nuts! Did anyone else catch it?

DrAvatar

[63]Dec 6, 2009
    • level: 16
    neokid0298 wrote:
    The ending was decent, definitely not best finale ever, but it was better than SOME finales I have seen
    *coughcouchthesapranoscoughcough*

jwgrlrrajn

[64]Dec 6, 2009
    • level: 23
    love_moore wrote:
    So I can't seem to find anyone else who has noticed this in the treads. But Monk graduated college in 1981. He met Trudy while in college. This is stated in the episode where he goes to his class reunion. The whole reunion he kept saying he was referred to "as the guy with Trudy" However Trudy's pregnancy happens in 1982-1983. She says in the video it was years before she met Monk, but that's impossible. This is driving me nuts! Did anyone else catch it?

Aha, I knew there was something screwy about that video.

Something else, if Trudy was afraid that the Judge might kill her, why in the *bleep* did she go meet him?

tjaman

[65]Dec 6, 2009
    • level: 32
    In the end, Trudy's car bombing linked back through too many people and left too many clues for Monk. But the real problem is that extensive, elaborate exposition Trudy recorded. The case that resists solving is the one with the fewest clues. Here Monk had access to his wife's entire medical history, any weird billing he could trace to the clinic or the midwife, he had her parents to talk to, he had that missing midwife case itself to follow up and solve, and never mind Dale the Whale, six-fingered men and bread-and-butter. He had a wealth of clues at his disposal before he even opened the little green package.

The writers should've figured out the entire Trudy timeline in the pilot episode, not in the finale. Not to mention Monk was physically too weak to even aim that gun, the judge could see that, and it would've taken the merest flick of his shovel. Had he shown that tape to Stottlemeyer they'd have been out there with a warrant and the entire department.

And for everyone saying it was rushed, reflect on the amount of time D.B. Woodside spent walking down the hallway. Reflect on the amount of time spent on "some vomiting and then death." Hell, the two false starts before he recognized Trudy's daughter. Anyone remember how he recognized Trudy's corneas? And then the time with the daughter herself, dialogue that went nowhere. I wanted Monk, post-solving Trudy's murder, to have closure on some of the worst of his fears and OCD (which would make a little bit of sense since her death reawakened all of his loss, OCD and abandonment issues full force). He had some, but he also lost all focus, which I do admit also does make some sense.

I'd like to have seen him offer his services to Stottlemeyer on his own terms, not the department's terms, and to really take that relationship in a new direction. Or ... wow, just about anything. About half an hour of the two-part finale was just filler, and the final half-hour was just too floppy.

But I do have to say, love Monk, love his little puzzles, but this show's writing has been circling the drain for quite a while, and it's nice to see it out of my misery.

Starwarder

[66]Dec 6, 2009
    • level: 11

Monk should have suggested a trip to meet Trudy's parents, with Molly, as they derserved to meet her as well...

TVsALF

[67]Dec 7, 2009
    • level: 4
    I was always skeptical of the clues in the Trudy murder case. It just didn't seem likely the great Adrian Monk would miss an important clue that would solve his wife's murder.

BTRAV

[68]Dec 7, 2009
    • level: 27
    I'm surprised John Torturro wasn't in it. They didn't even mention Ambrose at all. I should think he would've been concerned about his brother, and relieved to know that he can stop blaming himself for asking Trudy to pick up the medicine for him (unless he already had, I can't remember too well).

Banzaiboy808

[69]Dec 7, 2009
    • level: 8

Anybody else visit mollyevansreviews.com after the show? It takes you to an Amazon.com page with Monk DVD sets. LOL!

(vVv)

pgsuperfan

[70]Dec 7, 2009
    • level: 25
    really gonna miss adrian, natalie, the captain and randy

haldrey

[71]Dec 8, 2009
    • level: 22
    The best show finale I have ever seen. It was happy, sad and very nostalgic. I vote for at least one Monk movie per year. Saying goodbye to Monk was like saying goodbye to a family member.
    Edited on 12/08/2009 6:55pm
    Edited 2 total times.

kravitzfan12

[72]Dec 8, 2009
    • level: 34
    haldrey wrote:
    I vote for at least one Monk movie per year. Saying goodbye to Monk was like saying goodbye to a family member.
    I'm extremely hopeful that we will see a Monk movie in the future, but I don't think one movie a year is possible. The amount of time it would take to write a worthy script and get everything in order and edited, we're looking at a movie probably taking 2 years to produce. Plus, the cast, which has expressed interest in doing TV movies, probably doesn't want to jump right back into the roles that they just left.

syrusfan

[73]Dec 8, 2009
    • level: 38

Overall, it was a nice ending. But my problem with it, was that it was just WAY too complicated for it's own good. It worked out okay, but I really felt it would have just gone better had it been Trudy simply found out something that could jeopardize the Judge (since she is a reporter), so he had her killed.

But that's just me.

Skydude

[74]Dec 8, 2009
    • level: 3

I wasn't a huge fan of this ending episode, overall. The biggest reason for my disappointment is simply the weight of the show itself. We had this big story arc about Trudy's murder, and the little clues here and there, and you don't really get anything out of knowing about Dale the Whale, the six-fingered man, or Warrick Tennyson. It's all pretty much summed-up in this two-parter. It decreases the significance of those previously-significant events.

As a rule, I'm not really a fan of finales that damage the integrity of what came before them, when I liked what came before them (I'm sure fans of St. Elsewhere or Roseanne can agree; I didn't watch either of those shows but am familiar with the endings).

A fantastic show whose ending just couldn't live up to it.

Gingersnap727

[75]May 16, 2010
    • level: 5
    I kinda was disappointed with the end. It felt like it was thrown together. We never saw the Judge before this, and it really seemed like a weak reason to kill her. I agree with whoever said they felt that it was built up too much over the past few seasons to be just a pregnancy thing. It should have been something earthshaking.

hapat

[76]May 17, 2010
    • level: 14
    Yeah the overall arc was truly disappointing, it was way to easy and the reason she died was just pathetic. All these clues and all this talk and then poof, it was this guy that has no signifigance what so ever.

OmegaForteGS

[77]Jun 4, 2010
    • level: 10
    Finally the episode aired in my country.

It was a great two-parter, yet I agree that the Judge kinda dissapointed me. He was build up as a big bad mafia like leader guy (seeing how Dale seemed scared when he heard the name Judge), yet he was a normal Judge who had an affair???
    I call BS to the writers for such an unsatisfactory bad guy.
    Although the Judge shooting himself was great.

major_csi_fan

[78]Oct 8, 2010
    • level: 4

i have one word for this final episode FANTASTIC it was gripping , well thought out the motive behind trudys death was not just a cop-out and was handly nicly , the reveal that trudys daughter was still alive was omg and the intract between adrain and trudys daughter was nice to see, i loved the stove bit because it was a referance to one of the very first things monk said in the first ever episode, overall it left with an uypset feeling because monk has ended but a happy feeling but the end was handled so well

but i admit i was surprised that dale the whale didnt come into it , and i do like the fact the killer was someone introdued in part 1 rather than one of the characters we have known since the begining it was interesting and well played out

also i know some people don't like the fact behind trudys killing just because of an affair but monk did then say it wasnt about the affair it was about the daugther overall i glad it is a simple motive than a overally coimplicated one granted it isn.t the best motive but oh well, still a great episode. Also did anyone feel abit let down the case to solving trudys murder was on monks self for 12 years and i am surprised considoring the huge deal she made about him not to open it he didnt get a little curious? , plus monk did show no anger for not opening the gift that would solve his wifes murder but tbh from the start of part one all he thought it was , was a digital watch , so for 12 yrs he kept it unopen thinking it was the watch and when he was near death he wanted to finally open it then being surprised it was a tape , i mean it not like for 12 yrs he knew it was the tape lol.

And even thought the judge was a sort of established bad guy (granted all we knew about him was his name and nothing else) it was odd that the writers didnt really use any of the clues from the prevoius seasons it felt like just a standard 2 part murder case but as trudys death but was still very awesome and i throughly enjoyed it XD

Edited on 10/18/2010 12:36pm
    Edited 4 total times.