Monk Forums

USA (ended 2009)

Official Discussion Thread: Mr. Monk and the Foreign Man (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Aug 14, 2009
    • level: 103
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 8/14/09 episode "Mr. Monk and the Foreign Man" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

05BlackV605

[2]Aug 14, 2009
    • level: 2
    I really enjoyed this episode. It was nice to see Monk find a sort of kindred spirit in Samuel. Great acting and great story. A+ This definately a hint as to the ending. Hopefully Monk's time will come and he'll solve the Trudy case.
    Edited on 08/14/2009 7:13pm

BTRAV

[3]Aug 15, 2009
    • level: 27
    It was a good episode but it seemed more than a little awkward with Monk's behavior and passing some of his odd quirks on to Samuel telling him it was the American way of doing things (reminds me of Mr. Monk Is At Your Service - "the Monk way"). Clearly things have stayed the same from last week's episode: Monk still doens't know what the remote buttons are called (where's Sharona when we need something beaten into him?), and even though Samuel thinks Natalie is hilarious, Monk still doesn't think she's the least bit funny.

bklynsson

[4]Aug 15, 2009
    • level: 5
    Mr Monk meets Adibisi. Its been a long time since a monk mystery was good, and for me its been even longer since I've laughed at a Monk episode. This was a good ep and it really had a couple of funny moments towards the end.

kravitzfan12

[5]Aug 15, 2009
    • level: 34
    I always find the Trudy themed episodes to be the most touching and well acted and this episode is no exception. The mysteries were well thought out and written and the Trudy connection Monk sees in "the foreign man" is really true to form. It was nice to see some real raw emotion as well as some well placed humor.

I think that this episode will become one of my favorites from the final season and perhaps one of my all-time favorite 'Monk' episodes!

pgsuperfan

[6]Aug 15, 2009
    • level: 25
    Really liked this one. The MONK related to him. Some great MONK scenes like the smoking bag and doing laundry American and the refenerce to FRIENDS "we don't get African TV here". This one will become a MONK favorite.
    Edited on 08/15/2009 8:53am

haldrey

[7]Aug 16, 2009
    • level: 22
    It is rare for me not to like a Monk episode and this one was no exception. I found this one great. Whenever Trudy is part of the storyline it is usually a good one. The shearing between Monk and Samuel was great and so was the acting of all.

MagicalMeow

[8]Aug 19, 2009
    • level: 2

It was quite touching that he met a new friend and all, that part was quite good. But this is obviously a filler episode. The mystery was one of the weakest I have ever seen in any monk seasons. Re watching monk from the begining as I am doing currently, the episodes have great mysterys, they are genrally quite clever and leave you satisfied at the end that he went through the motions and got 'the guy'.

THe murder plot of this episode was quite lame :-/. Hopefully the rest of this season wont let seasons 1-7 down.

jwgrlrrajn

[9]Aug 25, 2009
    • level: 23
    I just thought that the episode was too short, and I know this is Monk we're talking about, but the fact that they saw a an old headlight and managed to figure out that a man who badmouthed his employee was "the guy" (and the fact that they turned out to be right) was a bit of a stretch, even for me.

One thing I did like about this episode is that it showed Monk really wanting to nail the guy who killed someone else's wife. This is a character aspect that really should be explored, because Monk losing Trudy the way he did - I would think - would make him particularly vindictive towards anyone who killed someone's wife, and especially hateful towards any man who killed his own wife, since he could never even imagine doing something like that to Trudy, and anyone who could do something like that to their own wives would make them less than human in Monk's opinion.

KSC76

[10]Aug 28, 2009
    • level: 7
    I thought this episode was very touching & he new how Samuel felt of his loss of his wife & he solved the case right away. A very nice episode I will be glad when he solve his wife murder case this final season it's long over do it' like the old Tv series the fugitive.