Monk Forums

USA (ended 2009)

Official Discussion Thread: Mr. Monk and the Pretty Face (possible spoilers)

garfield2710

[21]Aug 28, 2008
    • level: 25
    This was a pretty good episode. I liked the beggining where Lt. Disher is in the back of the cab with his girlfriend and he doesn't notice the driver's dead. It was a little sad at the end of the episode though. Overall, really good.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BTRAV

[22]Aug 29, 2008
    • level: 27
    Yeah, and those other two cops were jerks because they wouldn't let it go.

casualviewer

[23]Aug 29, 2008
    • level: 2

They renamed this episode "Falls in Love" but I thought the original title for the episode was a better fit - "Pretty Face." I didn't perceive Monk as being actually 'in love" with Layla so much as he was "in like" or "in-fatuated" with her. Love just doesn't happen instantly, or in this situation, in one episode.

But it was amusing to see Monk attracted to someone that wasn't a Trudy look-a-like. Even though it ended on a sad note, he's taken the first step in moving forward with his life and hopefully he will. He's been a square one way tooooo long.

jwgrlrrajn

[24]Aug 29, 2008
    • level: 23
    When the Captain walked into Leyla's house and saw Monk in the robe, that made the whole episode worthwhile!

On a side note, I would have liked to ask Monk in the end, "How does it feel being right all the time?" Poor guy.

Did anybody else notice how Leyla seemingly mistook Natalie for Trudy at first? Perhaps it a nod from the writers saying, "Yeah, we know you guys are thinking we're trying to get them together, here's a little teaser for you" Just speculation, but interesting nonetheless.

Libaax

[25]Aug 30, 2008
    • level: 8
    casualviewer wrote:

They renamed this episode "Falls in Love" but I thought the original title for the episode was a better fit - "Pretty Face." I didn't perceive Monk as being actually 'in love" with Layla so much as he was "in like" or "in-fatuated" with her. Love just doesn't happen instantly, or in this situation, in one episode.

But it was amusing to see Monk attracted to someone that wasn't a Trudy look-a-like. Even though it ended on a sad note, he's taken the first step in moving forward with his life and hopefully he will. He's been a square one way tooooo long.

Nah Monk felt more for her. He would come to love her if it didnt end badly.

You saw his sadness at the end that she was more than just a pretty face to him.

chipee

[26]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 13

Yeah, they would have had "carnal knowledge" IMHO had the Captain not intruded with the search warrant. Monk broke off from her and went to clean his wedding ring and said he had to leave. She more or less just smiled, like daring him to leave. He tried to move out, but couldn't. And maybe approached her closer (I forget). Then the Captain enters ...... Interesting.

Monk would have "lost her" no matter what he did -- if he kept quiet, she'd be in jail for 2 years supposedly. And he lost her by putting the mom in jail -- according to the script.

Edited on 09/04/2008 1:22pm