Monk Forums

USA (ended 2009)

Official Discussion Thread - Mr. Monk Gets Shot (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Jan 13, 2009
    • level: 101
    please direct general and specific discussion of the 1/16/09 episode "Mr. Monk Gets Shot to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

txrabbit

[2]Jan 14, 2009
    • level: 9
    Well, for one thing the title is supposed to be "Mr. Monk On Wheels".

ilovemyDVR

[3]Jan 16, 2009
    • level: 10

"Mr. Monk Gets Shot" looks like it's going to be a classic, but wow, I feel bad for Natalie already. It really looks like Monk is going to put her through the ringer.

Here's the preview, very funny: http://www.usanetwork.com/series/monk/

pgsuperfan

[4]Jan 16, 2009
    • level: 25
    From the promos it looks like it will be a good one

kravitzfan12

[5]Jan 16, 2009
    • level: 34
    I thought this episode was HYSTERICAL! Even though the case didn't really add up to me, as to why she did it, the laughs definitely made up for it. This was one of the funniest Monk episodes in a long while!

tjoceasde

[6]Jan 16, 2009
    • level: 18

The best line of the series was said tonight:

Monk (about the square tomatoes): "You're doing the Lord's work."

BTRAV

[7]Jan 17, 2009
    • level: 27
    "It's Encyclopedia Brown. Me and Sally just want our blue bicycle back." lol

tjaman

[8]Jan 17, 2009
    • level: 32
    The whole episode was worth it -- apart from "You can taste the symmetry!" -- to see Josh Lyman driving up in an egg.

You might not remember him crashing a Prius on "The West Wing," so this was just some beautiful acting karma.

pgsuperfan

[9]Jan 17, 2009
    I have to agree one of the funniest yet. I felt sorry for Natalie and what she had to go thru anyone want some "chips" lol

haldrey

[10]Jan 18, 2009
    • level: 22
    A classic. One of the funniest. Mr Monk getting out of the car was hilarious.

jwgrlrrajn

[11]Jan 18, 2009
    • level: 23
    I like the episodes where the Captain has to talk some sense into Monk, and this one is no exception.

I also liked the square tomatoes, even if they did look fake.

pgsuperfan

[13]Jan 18, 2009
    The car scene where Randy cannot open the wheel chair and the the scene near the ear when Natalie shots MONK in the other leg will be great scenes forever in monk history

Hakuo0000

[14]Jan 20, 2009
    • level: 12
    I'm not sure where all of this 'classic' talk is coming from. Since when can an episode of this quality be considered classic? I'll admit that the tomato bits and the Brown reference were funny, including Natalie shooting Monk, but that's about half of the episode (and that's a stretch).

The second half failed. So hard. Reminded me why this is no longer one of my favorite shows. How can you all cheer on the way Monk acted? He was being an a** and there's no way in hell that would of flied before. Defiantly not with Sharona. I'm not saying that I like her better than Natalie or anything (because I'm a sort of fan of her), but come on. Isn't Monk supposed to be progressing as a person? What the hell are they doing to him? (Them as in the writers, etc.) As the show seems to go on, and I can't be the only one who's noticed this, I've had the feeling that Monk is going out of character. The sad thing I realized? That this whole episode WAS him in character. When the hell did that happen? When did one of my favorite shows take that kind of dive down?

Great? No. Decent? Sure, why not. Classic? Hell no.

Gah. I miss the old Monk. [Not saying with Sharona, because a lot with Natalie were great.]

jd_newbie

[15]Jan 20, 2009
    • level: 12
    I liked the first half of the episode. I thought the square tomatoes, the case, Monk complaining that Natalie never listens to him, and the Captain's lack of interest in said case were all well done. I especially liked the Encyclopedia Brown reference.

However, I thought the episode lost direction after Monk got shot. I was disappointed in all the whining that went on--especially because it went on mainly unchecked.

It was great that Stottlemeyer tried to straighten Monk out. But he shouldn't have had to do it.

Monk used to be a person who tried hard to fit in with others but just couldn't do it because of his disability. One of the side effects of that disability was an occasional lapse into narcissism. He genuinely cared about his friends, and was bewildered when they became aggravated with poor behavior on his part.

This was not the man who whined about being in a wheelchair and took it out on his assistant, without any concern whatsoever for how she reacted.

In addition, Monk used to make an effort to be strong despite his pain. He wanted to be the man that Trudy had fallen for and lived his life in memory of her.

THAT Monk would not have given in to endless self-pity.

I can't help but wonder how Sherona would have reacted to this new, weaker Monk. I'm pretty sure she would NOT have tolerated self-pity and whining. In fact, she probably would have left him and his wheelchair in the middle of the road if he didn't cut it out. See "Mr. Monk and the Circus" for an example of how far Sherona was willing to go to hammer home the point that he could NOT treat her any way he liked and expect her to stick around.

Natalie seemed determined to be a doormat. I understand wanting to take care of a sick friend, I really do. But I couldn't believe she LET him treat her like that. I haven't seen very many of her episodes... I don't have cable, so I've only seen what I've caught online here and there. But it seems, from what little I've seen, that she ALSO used to be far stronger and respectable.

I am disappointed in the direction the writers are taking these characters.

imikedaman1985

[16]Jan 27, 2009
    • level: 2

Oh wow, I'm surprised that I again appear to be the only one more angry at Natalie than Monk in this episode. She's been so incompetent for longer than I can remember, and each time she's given a free pass to mess things up in the next episode. Sometimes it seems like she only exists as a plot device to put Monk in danger. The worst part was at the end when she pointed a live gun at Monk while jumping around and then shot him.

I'm sure some people will blame it on her just being tired, but other than how her level of sleepiness varies wildly depending on what the scene requires, she was incompetent for years before this episode. I hope they turn her into someone useful soon.

BTRAV

[17]Jan 28, 2009
    • level: 27
    imikedaman1985 wrote:

Oh wow, I'm surprised that I again appear to be the only one more angry at Natalie than Monk in this episode. She's been so incompetent for longer than I can remember, and each time she's given a free pass to mess things up in the next episode. Sometimes it seems like she only exists as a plot device to put Monk in danger. The worst part was at the end when she pointed a live gun at Monk while jumping around and then shot him.

I'm sure some people will blame it on her just being tired, but other than how her level of sleepiness varies wildly depending on what the scene requires, she was incompetent for years before this episode. I hope they turn her into someone useful soon.

I didn't like it any more than you did, but I'm guessing the writers are working along the lines of irony or expect the unexpected. Same goes for Randy, especially in the episode after this one. Although the idea of a killer robot was kinda funny.